Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Pond Skimmers

Quote Originally Posted by Campcheryl View Post
    Okay if you are not Larry the Koi Cop or Don the Cable Guy, are you Joe the Plumber?

Cheryl,
    Now that was friggin funny....

MCA
    Pehaps this board could consider doing something done elsewhere. The sponors put their announces and ads for their products in a "pro" forum....not in forii for the amateur hobby discussions.

Of course the sponsors are free to engage in dialog anywhere....just like amatuers. We just keep ads....in an ad space.

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by Nancy M. View Post
    Cheryl,
    Now that was friggin funny....
    Pssst Nancy....the line is, "I don't care who you are, that was funny." Wich in turn gives us a full circle back to Larry the Koi Cop or Don the Cable Guy. LOL

Steve
    The views presented are my personal views and not that of any organization that I may belong to unless otherwise specified. [email protected]
    CKHPA

John,

I'm DIY to the core. So as you can imagine, I tried a few ways to make my own skimmer as I couldn't get over the price of a manufactured skimmer unit. After trying round pipe (of all sizes and at all kinds of different flow rates), openings without a weir door (12"+ sections of my pond edge removed), and a miserable attempt at building my own weir door, I finally broke down and bought 2 pool style skimmers.

I can speak positively about the surface skimming between round pipe (at any height within the pipes opening) and a skimmer with a weir door. The round pipe isn't even close! If debris happened to meander past the pipe, then yes, the round pipe's suction pulled it in. But as far as debris heading over from a distance?? No chance, no way.

Earlier you mentioned that a round pipe is better than a weired skimmer for pulling stuff in that's a bit below the surface... Well, if you have a proper skimmer, the debris isn't ever in the pond long enough to become water logged and sink down below the surface. It's pulled into the skimmer long before that... And if something is truly neutrally buoyant, it won't be long before the currents push it up to the skimmers opening, or it shoots through my bottom drain and ends up in settlement.

I'm sorry, but your design is flawed and can't compete in functionality against a proper wide mouthed skimmer with a weir door. Trust me, I tried.

I installed a few small bars across (horizontally) the opening of my skimmers and have NEVER had a fish in there, as well, with the rippling surface of my water, even if a bar is right at water level (which I avoid when topping off) a large leaf is "bumped" over the bar by a small ripple. I've NEVER had to clear the mouth of my skimmer from debris that had been hung up on my bars.

You claim to be looking for input, yet whenever you receive constructive criticism, you argue with those that have been doing this a lot longer than you. I'm OK with you arguing, it ends up being very educational for the rest of us when you end up in a debate with some of the very respected individuals who frequent this board. But please don't say you want to learn, and then rebuke everything that's being offered.

Kinda like a used car salesman stumbling into an automakers convention and trying to run his shtick on them... It just ain't flyin' man...

Grant

Well said, Grant.

Speaking of 'kinda likes,' when I graduated college (and didn't know what to do with myself) I tried selling life insurance for my Uncle.

I was trained that Rule One held if I knocked on enough doors and gave my presentation enough times, sales would come. And they did.

But soon enough I noticed that my Uncle didn't put in nearly my hours, work at my pace or give anywhere near my number of presentations -- yet he outsold me by a hundred to one, month after month after month. It was disheartening.

When I finally worked up the nerve to ask him why that was the case, he kindly explained Rule Two: Know which doors to knock on.

Methinks John has Rule One down pat. Rule Two? Not so much.
    Don Chandler
    Member: AKCA, ZNA, KoiUSA

Tategoi
    That toad thrower is a good door to knock at. He doesn't know everything like a few of us but even I learn stuff from him.

The Idea of a skimmer is along the same lines as avortex breaker on a bottom drain. It directs the flow of the water just along the surface of the water. The height of thr weir must be just below (1/2") the surface, then the pull will reach out furthest from the weir. The reason we use adjustable (water level) weirs is to allow for variations in height of the water surface.

The size of weir will allow for a larger or smaller floating waste depending on how much water we draw compared to the width of the weir. If you look closely you will see a slight level drop between the pond and the inside water. That can be changed by weighting the weir.

I see Steve's point about pulling larger or semi floating debris such as leaves but it will reduce the ereach of the weir itself, if that matters. Watching a completed pond will tell and I know Steve wouldn't stand for debris floating in his ponds.

I would use verticle 'bars' to protect for fish. A horizental bar right at the surface will ruin the effect of the weir. Better yet, a huge basket after the screen will hold Maggie until someone arrives. But tie down the lid because that someone may be Roger, the racoon.

Tategoi
    Oh Yeah! I also vote fro a dedicated location to use for sales presentations,

Keep this forum for amateur/non professional discussions. That isn't intended to mean the forum shouldn't be open to all who wish to discuss koi as long as the comment isn't aimed to bring attention to a product being hyped by a dealor.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich L View Post

I would use verticle 'bars' to protect for fish. A horizental bar right at the surface will ruin the effect of the weir.
    Wow ... while it seems as though this discussion has clearly been had on other threads, I have to say, I feel like I opened a Pandora's box with my initial feedback and questions to John.

Rich ... using vertical bars would seem to really reduce the skimmer's ability to pull in large objects, no?

I mentioned in an earlier thread that I had created PVC tension bars and placed one 1/2" above the water and one 1" beneath the water level, horizontally across. Works great .... except we had a HUGE rainstorm here the other day and the water level increases for 48 hours and, as you'd expect my horizontal rod that was 1/2" above water is now at water level and defeating the purpose.

So ... I have a new project for this weekend ... I am going to try to make my top bar "float" above the water level by attaching two, small dense foam cylindars right at the end, beneath it. I also, of course, am going to have to figure out how to keep it right at the opening of the skimmer, because if it's floating, I won't be able to use tension to do so.

*If* I can make the foam cylindars thin enough, this seems like an interesting experiment ... advantage, it deals with variable water levels, disadvantage, the cylindars interrupt some skimmer flow ... I wonder how important that will be in the grand scheme of things?

PS: John R., I'm currently exchanging emails with Savio engineering discussing my issue and talking about designs for an accessory they could build. Of course, they're probably appeasing me by having the conversation, but they are having the conversation.

Finally, if someone has the time, can someone provide me some feedback as to *why* units like the Savio are considered trinkets? Is it far inferior for some reason I'm not seeing? (I recognize it's not the choice for a 10k gallon pond).

MCA
    If you look in the UK mags Koi or Koi Carp....you will see several folks selling stainless "cow catcher" bars to put on the front of skimmers.

Jumbo

sneaky Brits!

Cow Catcher indeed. They've been sneaking a look into my pond. Say "Moo" Baby.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pond Skimmers-img00091.jpg  

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast