Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Pond, depth question

New Pond, depth question

Hi all -

I'm new to this site ... been reading non-stop for the last week, tremendous information source. I have a small 400 gallon pond I built myself for calicos / fantails a few years ago that I really enjoyed. Dozens of trips to my local pond / fish store hooked me on Koi. I knew I couldn't put 'em in a 400 gallon pond so ... I built another bigger one (2500 - 2700 gallons). I've posted some pictures for you to see.

A bit of pond background: I live in Austin, TX, so very hot in summer months (105) and basically never freezes (might have a night a year where temp. freezes). Pond water almost never drops below 52 / 53 degrees. This pond is filtered using a Savio SkimmerFilter (modified to portect koi from swimming in) and a 3600 GPH Savio pump. Dimensions of pond are roughly 11 feet x 12 feet, avg. depth about 30", max depth 36".

Before I built this pond, I did lots of research (i thought), particularly with locals and on internet and had it in my head that if my pond hit a depth of 36" it would be suitable for Koi. I wish the average depth of my pond was deeper than it is ... design miscommunication with the installer.

All that said ... I would love to be able to put Koi in the pond ... but only if they're going to be happy, I have ZERO desire to do wrong by the fish. My question is ... with my pond dimensions as I describe, and given that I do seriously invest time in water quality, pond maintenance, etc., is it reasonable to put Koi in this pond? Should I expect that after a couple of years of growth I will potentially need to sell ones that grow large and start over?

I have read through other posts and there's lots of talk about pond depth ... but I find so many opinions ranging from 4 feet to 7 feet that I figured I'd ask again and get the best, direct answer I could.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Pond, depth question-img_1387.jpg   New Pond, depth question-img_1394.jpg   New Pond, depth question-img_1422.jpg  

I live up in Georgetown and can help you decide what is best......maybe.
    If you wonder why I say maybe....................

Post Your Pond Pics Look for a few pictures of what I am still building.......

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by berkokid View Post
    Hi all -

A bit of pond background: I live in Austin, TX, so very hot in summer months (105) and basically never freezes (might have a night a year where temp. freezes). Pond water almost never drops below 52 / 53 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by mstrseed View Post
    I live up in Georgetown and can help you decide what is best......maybe.
    If you wonder why I say maybe....................

Post Your Pond Pics Look for a few pictures of what I am still building.......

Bill
    oh my god, your pond is re-god-damn-diculous ...! It's as big as my house! Nice to know that there's a pond-psycho I can learn from Anyway, would love any guidance / council you think is relevant.

That's me.....................

major psycho action going on in Georgetown...

Honmei
    Berkokid,
    The deeper the better.....to a point. Depth provides water volume and water stability (especially in the south like Texas where I used to live). Go a minum of 4' and if possible, 6'. Deeper up to about 10' can be good for the koi but get's challenging for the hobbyist in a multitude of ways.

Steve
    The views presented are my personal views and not that of any organization that I may belong to unless otherwise specified. [email protected]
    CKHPA

Steve -

Thanks for your thoughts ... I have come to the conclusion that I do need to increase depth to 4 / 4.5' ... not sure I will do that right this minute, but it's clear it's a better answer.

- Jonathan

MCA
    We I built our first real koi pond in Dallas I thought 4' was RREEAAALLLLLL DEEEEEEEEP. NOT. So when we moved to Atlanta.....the pond is 8'.

Folks ask why so deep.....because that is as far as the backhoe could reach. As long as my EA net gets to them...the pond is not too deep.

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    We I built our first real koi pond in Dallas I thought 4' was RREEAAALLLLLL DEEEEEEEEP. NOT. So when we moved to Atlanta.....the pond is 8'.

Folks ask why so deep.....because that is as far as the backhoe could reach. As long as my EA net gets to them...the pond is not too deep.
    So true....and I remember.

Jonathan,
    Remember that you can com,e up with the pond above grade as well. With a proper structure, 4' down and 2' up works really well for a depth of 6'.

Just throwing out ideas fo4 you.

Steve
    The views presented are my personal views and not that of any organization that I may belong to unless otherwise specified. [email protected]
    CKHPA

MCA
    Our pond is 2' up and 6' down. That lets you sit on the pond wall and feed and observe the koi. It also brings them MUCH closer for netting, and moving them back and forth when reviving from MS222 or clove oil. That leaning over a pond that is beneath your feet....is a backbreaker.

Picture is of our old pond (now gone) in Dallas. Persons from foreground to background: Kathryn B, Ken W, Toni A (my better half), Steve C and his better half Cheryl C.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Pond, depth question-dscf3270.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast