Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: You guys/gals are killing me

Nisai

You guys/gals are killing me

My wife is going nuts I built my fist pond In may 08 qwickly decided it was not deep enough or large enough to winter KOI
    Aug of 08 I filled the new improved pond added 1200 US gallons to it ,at a cost of a new 700 sq ft liner with Bd system
    longest point 23 feet
    widest point 12 feet
    deep hole 5 1/2 feet x 8 feet 3 feet deep
    best math gives me 2200 gallons total for 12 Koi (in the begining only looked for 16-18 inch KOI) now feel the need for 20-24 inches

see attached pic

To much reading here leads me to believe I need it deeper to 4 1/2 feet and the shallows from 16 inches to 2 feet, with another Bd in this area and remove gravel bottom in shallows ,add 2 feet width at deep hole
    my new plan adds 1600 gallon for a total of around 3800

Question's are I am around 1 month from freezing temps pond currently holding at 48-50 degrees

1. how early after thaw would it be safe to bother Koi
    2. Providing I keep the water top notch would 12 KOI reach 20-24 inches in 3800 gallons ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails You guys/gals are killing me-aug-08.jpg  

Your pond is pretty but you need to get the gravel out. It traps debris and will cause water quality problems and eventually health problems with your fish.

Where do you live? If you have very cold weather, your pond needs to be a minimum of 4' preferably 5' deep.

If you want to grow your fish large, 3800 gallons is enough for 4 females with good filtration and proper water maintenance. The rule of thumb is 1 female per 1000 gallons of water.

Nisai
    I live in Pennsylvinia usally only get a max of 4 inches of ice . depends on what mothernature decides to throw our way of course

I don't know much about cold weather pond building since I live in La. It does have to be deep enough that the water at the bottom doesn't freeze. The more water volume you have, the more stable the temps will be which will cause less stress on the koi.

I'm sure some here will give you better advice about the depth for cold climates.

Nisai
    Ty for your responces