Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How To Connect 2 Ponds???

Tategoi
    A siphon will work at any size but removing air constantly will be an extra task may be a nuisance so make certain the connections are well sealed.

I don't know how it will get across the bridge though. You can make it go overhead like they do in large aquariums, in a clear fiberglass or lucite pipe and the koi will look great when they go through it. Good luck getting them to cross other then throwing the food on the side they arenít on.

Impractical??? I call it visionary. You should see my impracticable ideas.

Tosai
    I think there actually is a limit on the height vs the diameter of the pipe to avoid getting air or water vapor at the top, but I'm not sure what it is.

Once you are over the lip of the pond, though, there's no need to go over the bridge. You could go below grade and then back up over the lip of the second pond once you're on the other side of the walkway.

I'm not sure what koi would think of this setup, but back when I kept fish in an aquarium with a filter hanging off the back, I had a few that frequently followed the siphon tubing into the filter. They seemed to like it in there.

Tategoi
    The height water can be lifted with a suction or siphon is 32' but that wasn't a serious suggestion. I find that getting out of the box gets other people to come up with ideas, like yours. That seems like the easiest if flanges arn't acceptable. Or he can build a real bridge and have one large pond.

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich L View Post
    You can make it go overhead like they do in large aquariums, in a clear fiberglass or lucite pipe and the koi will look great when they go through it.
    Wouldn't that be a sight?

Quote Originally Posted by xlowes View Post
    I've built several ponds over the years but I have a unique situation this time. I am currently constructing two ponds on either side of my sidewalk. The water level I am needing will put it approximately in the middle of the thickness of the slab. If I remove the section of sidewalk then connecting is no problem as the liner will be one piece. This would require a bridge which I would prefer not to do. Does anyone know of a (for the lack of a better word) tube or pipe that I could use to connect the two sides and maintain a watertight seal between the two sides. This way I could tunnel under and leave the sidewalk untouched. The tube or pipe would have to be big enough to allow fish to travel from one side to the other.
    You could use a 50gal drum and cut out each end leaving about 2in on the Dia where you would drill holes every 2in and fasten the liner useing cut out material to make up backing for other side of liner .
    Regards
    Eugene

WAC
    Tosai
    I'm leaning towards a large diameter pipe & flange connection between the 2 liner ponds. You can get 14" - 24" flange & adapters from water, sewer & drain -- trade distributors.

Although I don't envy anyone having the task of connecting in this method.

Sansai
    something like this?

The Landscaper tried to do it, but failed. The pond level was 12-15 inches below the rest of the yard, so it got a lot of drain water.

Now the level of the water can actually be the same level of the sidewalk, giving it a cool look.

d
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How To Connect 2 Ponds???-daytime-view-front.jpg   How To Connect 2 Ponds???-night-view-both-sides.jpg  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12