Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How To Connect 2 Ponds???

Fry

How To Connect 2 Ponds???

I've built several ponds over the years but I have a unique situation this time. I am currently constructing two ponds on either side of my sidewalk. The water level I am needing will put it approximately in the middle of the thickness of the slab. If I remove the section of sidewalk then connecting is no problem as the liner will be one piece. This would require a bridge which I would prefer not to do. Does anyone know of a (for the lack of a better word) tube or pipe that I could use to connect the two sides and maintain a watertight seal between the two sides. This way I could tunnel under and leave the sidewalk untouched. The tube or pipe would have to be big enough to allow fish to travel from one side to the other.

I think you would just be asking for a leak at some point................I'm not saying it could not be done.................a bridge would look much nicer...........

So how big of ponds we talking about???

Fry
    Each pond is approx. 15 x 20. I would like them larger but lot size restricts this.

MCA
    one pond....with a bridge between

you can do an arched bridge (with water returns spraying out from under it)
    or
    a flat bridge supported by beams.

Fry
    I don't have a problem with having a bridge, another household member would rather not!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by xlowes View Post
    I don't have a problem with having a bridge, another household member would rather not!!!!
    Ask the other member of the house....................really what is the difference? A bridge would have a hand rail......................sidewalk would not...................

MCA
    If you do a flat bridge....it does not have to have a hand rail. But those OSHA and local construction permit folks get their nickers in a wad about such things.

Tategoi
    Sounds like 10K each pond so you will want the water to move at least 10K/hr.

You can improve things if there if a filter system is installed between the two ponds and at the outgoing of the second pond. that will allow you to use a single pump to operate both ponds with the flow of one pond.

You are talking about a very short run so I expect you can just use the PVC pipe you chose to bore the hole through the soil as long as there arn't rocks in the way. PVC 8" or larger will allow you to actually reach into the PVC and remove dirt and obstructions.

The problem becomes one of sealing the bulkheads where the pipe enters the pond. a PVC flange can be used with a retaining ring and gasket to seal that.

Why do you want the ponds connected. You can always leave them separate and run to a single filter system. If you buy all your koi in matched pairs and put one in each side, nobody will be the wiser.

Tosai
    you could join the two together and put a board walk over it with a hand rail rather than a bridge,the difference is the arch,but a board walk could be made wider to offer comfort whilst walking over it or when using it as a central viewing point.
    failing that,your stuck really

jon

Tosai
    I understand the problem if you have someone whose knees can't handle an arched bridge.

One pond with something sitting in it to walk on seems like the best bet.

But if that won't work for you, and your plumbing karma absolutely rules out seals, what are the limits on the diameter of a siphon?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast