Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help me design an efficient but small filtration system for my pond

Tategoi
    If you are cash deprived, avoid the answer units. They each run on a self contained 1/4 HP pump. A screen (Cetis style) filter will do a good job of removing particles down to about 200 um if you use a 300 um wedge screen. Some folks on Koi Shack have the address of some screen that you van buy very cheap. The unit design looks great for a DIY type to tackle.

A fluidized bed is the most efficient insize. Bakki's are operated on very large pumps. Folks out here are saying the power consumption is close to $400 a month. TTs use a little power to raise the water but you may be able to put one in the leaf trap line for the excellent work they do. It can share water with the waterfall(1/2 - 1/2).

Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    suggestion....forget the shower boxes with matting. Instead do a bakki shower. You will get far higher DO levels and self cleaning media. If you can't do bakki house media, you can try for other types such as lava rock, bioballs...etc.
    If I was in Atlanta then I would use Bakki shower but if in Canada then I would use Nexus providing I could afford them. I n reality where you live plays a lot on filtration system used while ponds can stay the same. So when somone asks for advice or proposes to build a filtration system they should give average monthly high low tem. readings for the year. Just as the Purdin River system would work in Hiroshima but not in Nigata. Practical system for Purdin farm but not so for Quality Koi simply because of the cost of heating.
    Regards
    Eugene

Quote Originally Posted by Eugeneg View Post
    If I was in Atlanta then I would use Bakki shower but if in Canada then I would use Nexus providing I could afford them. I n reality where you live plays a lot on filtration system used while ponds can stay the same. So when somone asks for advice or proposes to build a filtration system they should give average monthly high low tem. readings for the year. Just as the Purdin River system would work in Hiroshima but not in Nigata. Practical system for Purdin farm but not so for Quality Koi simply because of the cost of heating.
    Regards
    Eugene

I see. thanks for the information, Eugene. I am in the middle of the project. I'll post some pictures.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123