Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Opinions on skimmer & waterfall filters

Fry

Opinions on skimmer & waterfall filters

Can I get some advice on whats the best skimmers and waterfall filters that you all are happy with. I'm a newbie at this I've dug the hole and ordered a koi toliet with air and I'm using a 4" pipe . My thoughts are to use an external pump hooked up with a 2" pipe to a 3 way valve one going to the skimmer and one to the bottom drain reducing the 4" to a 2 in at the valve. Then the output of the pump to go a waterfall/filter . My thoughts are a savio skimmer and a laguna waterfall/filter . Please advise on a good pump to use my pond size is about 3800 gallon the 2" line from the pump location to the water fall is about 20 horz. and 3.5 feet vertical . Sorry I dragged it on trying to get as much info as possible in one letter

Thanks All

Jumbo
    This is not the best way to go. You can tie the skimmer and BD together with one pump but that pump will just chew up the waste and make your filter work harder. It's always better to gravity flow the BD into a sieve or some kind of settlement filter, then bio filter, before going back to the pond.
    Is this pond going to be for Koi? Or just a water garden? Can you give us some more details? Do you have room to dig a filter pit and bury any containers such as barrels?

Fry

Pond filter help

Hi ,

Thank you for responding to my questions and concerns . The Pond will be for Koi fish I live in South Florida so the weather is always nice for enjoying my back yard . I do not have room for any settlement tank or barrels to be buryed my pond is located between two trees which I plan on using a net to keep most of the leaves out of the pond my space in limited. I can run a drain line directly from my BD to a pump then to a waterfall/filter and use a sub pump inside the skimmer if you think thats best. Wish I had room to bury a barrel.

Thanks for the reply and info

Jumbo
    To bad you don't have more room. I really like the Savio line of products, The lg skimmer with the 16" weir is the way I would go. I'm not familiar with the laguna waterfall/filter but savio makes a filter falls that is a similar product.