Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Where did I go wrong?

Fry

Unhappy Where did I go wrong?

I finally got all my plumbing done 4" BD with air, Waterfall, Skimmer I put water in the leaf basket numerous times and could not get one bit of suction from the bottom drain I have the 4 " pipe going to a knife valve then a clean out then it's reduced to a 2" pipe to a 3 way jandy valve then to my leaf/strainer/pump from there I go to the water fall using a 2" pipe . Oh yeah the other part of the 3 way jandy valve goes to my skimmer which I did not finish installing yet but I wanted to see the water work . Any clues on whats going on will help out alot

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hogrider View Post
    I finally got all my plumbing done 4" BD with air, Waterfall, Skimmer I put water in the leaf basket numerous times and could not get one bit of suction from the bottom drain I have the 4 " pipe going to a knife valve then a clean out then it's reduced to a 2" pipe to a 3 way jandy valve then to my leaf/strainer/pump from there I go to the water fall using a 2" pipe . Oh yeah the other part of the 3 way jandy valve goes to my skimmer which I did not finish installing yet but I wanted to see the water work . Any clues on whats going on will help out alot

thanks
    Perhaps you need to add a swing check valve below water level on pump side. Just a thought, I am probably worng.

MCA
    If the pump is below water level (pond has water?) when the pump removes water from the leaf basket...gravity should force water into the leaf basket to replace what was removed. That is the concept of flooded suction...it is how gravity feed systems are designed.

Example, my savio skimmer has a 3" pipe that wraps around the pond and gets reduced to 2" to feed a 1/2HP WaveII that feeds the showers (or bypass. Since the pump is around 2' below water level....no need for real suction power from the pump as gravity is keeping the pump fed.

If your pump is water level, you need a pump designed to pull water....such as Dragon series. You may or may not need a check valve to hold the prime...depending on the difference in height difference between the water and the pump. Dragons can pull water up to 4' as I remember.
    Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

Quote Originally Posted by hogrider View Post

thanks
    Couple of things...

(1) I suspect the pump is above water level, correct? If so, when you add water to the leaf trap, does it completely fill and then overlfow? And, when you turn the hose off, does the trap hold water all the way to the top? If not, then you probably forgot to install a swing check valve before the pump.

(2) Make sure you have closed off the Jandy valve leading toward the yet to be installed skimmer.

(3) Perhaps too simple, but you must replace the lid on the leaf trap before you turn the pump on!

(4) Is the pond completely full? As MCA noted, unless you have a primer type pumps, it may not be able to lift the water more than 12 inches or so above the water line.

Hope this helps!

Bill

Daihonmei
    ...put a hose in to the pipe that empties water from the pump back into the pond and turn it on high...get some pressure on it if you can... the hose water should be going back towards the pump. once the water clears out the air in the strainer basket and blows that air out where the water is supposed to come in when the pump is on turn of the hose and turn on the pump...
    you might try turning the pump on before you turn the hose off

Fry

Hiding the liner

First I want to Thank everyone for all there ideas on what I was doing wrong. Bill was right I did not have the water level up high enough for the pump to start sucking. It's all working great now. I did however make a mistake installing the Skimmer I had thought I measured the water level at its peak but I screwed up. So here is my problem it's not the end of the world but it's some what of an eye sore. I have exposed black liner beneath the edge of the stepping stones about 4-6 inches . I built my pond with out any ledge so that egrets or any other predator can't wet there feet and feast. So does anyone have ideas I can't redo the height of my skimmer since the liner only has play to lower the skimmer not make it higher. One more question I have a BD with a 40 air pump I think its a little strong it moves the water like a whirlpool is that how it should be or is there a way to reduce the amount of air bubbles. When I first power on the air pump it has tiny bubbles which look cool but after 2 seconds it turns into a whirpool. I'm afraid it will make the koi's sea sick once I add them .