Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need complete advice on NEW POND

Tosai

need complete advice on NEW POND

I currently have 10 2" to 6" koi, and 4 larger koi like 16" or so. i have the smaller ones in a 100 gallon aquarium, and the smaller koi in a 120 gallon pre formed pond from HD. I dont have A qt OR HOSPITAL TANK.. Im in NEED of a pond, one with BD< skimmer, bio folter, etc. i was thinking about this set up. pLEase correcct me if anything look wrong. I want to dig a 2 feet under ground, and fro there build up with 4x4's up 3 feet above the ground. This will bring my depth to about 5 feet. the lenght and with will most likely be 10 by 8 or 8 by 6. I dont have much space so if i go with the 10x8x5= 3000 gallong, which would be a paradise for my koi. and if i go with the 8x6x5 gallonage will be 1800, still nice, compared to what i have. What do you guys think????or maybe an 8x8x5= 2400. my yard is 20 by 30 feet. its pretty small. but this is all i have to work with. May use a DIY filter. which one are good.

Before you start digging or building, you need to read a lot of the construction threads. 3' above ground will be a little awkward unless you're very tall. 2' would be better. Deeper in the ground is always better because it helps to keep the temp stable.

Ok, general rule of thumb is no less than 300 gallons per fish. Koi can grow to be very large, 36+". They are also dirty fish so the water quality will not stay good very long if they are overcrowded. This causes disease and parasite problems.

There are many different types of DIY filtration "systems". You'll need to look at the threads and decide what level of experience you have to build them, how much area they take up, etc.

You can set up a swimming pool for a QT for now to treat your fish.

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by kntry View Post
    Before you start digging or building, you need to read a lot of the construction threads. 3' above ground will be a little awkward unless you're very tall. 2' would be better. Deeper in the ground is always better because it helps to keep the temp stable.

Ok, general rule of thumb is no less than 300 gallons per fish. Koi can grow to be very large, 36+". They are also dirty fish so the water quality will not stay good very long if they are overcrowded. This causes disease and parasite problems.

There are many different types of DIY filtration "systems". You'll need to look at the threads and decide what level of experience you have to build them, how much area they take up, etc.

You can set up a swimming pool for a QT for now to treat your fish.
    th e city wont allow me to go more than 30 inches deep, they consider anything deeper than that to be a swimming pool, thus requiring a permit, but i could go 30 inches down and 30 up bringin my total to 5 feet, which, is what im looking for, i could settle with 4 feet depth, but i much rather get that extra foot in depth, what kind of filter do you have??

Here's a link to my "pool/pond conversion". I had to fill in my 13,000 gallon pond to sell the property. I put up this 5580 gallon pool with 6 females in it until I could build a new pond, hopefully next year. I also have 4 tosai about 14" but this pool is set up on semi-flow through for a constant change of well water.

Pool to Pond Conversion

Tosai
    Here's a link to my "pool/pond conversion". I had to fill in my 13,000 gallon pond to sell the property. I put up this 5580 gallon pool with 6 females in it until I could build a new pond, hopefully next year. I also have 4 tosai about 14" but this pool is set up on semi-flow through for a constant change of well water.

Pool to Pond Conversion
    ok i will go through that... thnaks. Ur filters look pretty nice. I dont plan to as more fish, but can i run the BD, filter with just one pump? what pump do u currently have?

You can run the BD with a pump and the skimmer will need another pump.

I have 3 pumps on this pond. A Performance Pro 6500 gph, a Wave II 8500 gph and the skimmer has a Lim 1/15 hp 3500 gph.

Hello jmont004 . . .

All other things being equal, as far as the koi are concerned: The deeper the better.

At 8 - 10 feet, they'll be very happy.

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by KoiCop View Post
    Hello jmont004 . . .

All other things being equal, as far as the koi are concerned: The deeper the better.

At 8 - 10 feet, they'll be very happy.
    and that what i want because if my koi are happy then i will be happy. ok so the bd goes to my filter of choice? how bout the skimmer? does that go hooked up with the otherfilter for the return?

The skimmer should have its own pump and the best scenario would be to hook it to a shower.

Tosai
    The skimmer should have its own pump and the best scenario would be to hook it to a shower.
    like a bakki filter? i want to spend the least as i can, but if i have to i will go all out. lol. i was looking like at the advantage bead filter? are they worth what you pay for them or no?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast