Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Evolving a sub-standard filtration design

MCA
    Nexus or Aquabead
    Those are two very differnent products. You can pump to the top of the Nexus (around 1 m high) and let the water gravity feed back to the pond. With a bead filter you have to overcome the backpressure of the bead pack (which grows as the pack gets loaded with debris). You will likely need a higher head pump for the bead filter.

Either approach can be part of good overall system. Just select the pump accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    Those are two very differnent products. You can pump to the top of the Nexus (around 1 m high) and let the water gravity feed back to the pond. With a bead filter you have to overcome the backpressure of the bead pack (which grows as the pack gets loaded with debris). You will likely need a higher head pump for the bead filter.

Either approach can be part of good overall system. Just select the pump accordingly.
    Yup, I understand that the Nexus will gravity feed back to the pond while a bead filter will remain pressurized throughout. I'll need to figure out location of filter and what's going to make the most sense. In either case, I should be creating a healthier environment ...

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by berkokid View Post
    Cool .... good idea, I'll probably steal it!

I think, to enhance my filtration, what I'll end up doing is using the aqua art bottom drain with an external pump that pulls water into either a Nexus or Aquabead ...
    you could add a filter to the skimmer for example a pressurised unit and put a retro bottom drain in to save altering the pond floor.you have a big pond there for 5 fish but im working off uk gallons which i believe is more than us gallons.i must get my calculator out.

jon

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by berkokid View Post

I think, to enhance my filtration, what I'll end up doing is using the aqua art bottom drain with an external pump that pulls water into either a Nexus or Aquabead ...
    Between these two I would go with the Nexus. Probably the best all around design made.

Tosai
    i wouldnt use a nexus on a skimmer.an easy pod maybe but a nexus 200 is taking it to the extreme but if you have the space i suppose you could,
    a pb85 bead filter would be a better option if it were me.

jon

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by jm123kc View Post
    a pb85 bead filter would be a better option if it were me.

jon
    What is a pb85?

Quote Originally Posted by jm123kc View Post
    you could add a filter to the skimmer for example a pressurised unit and put a retro bottom drain in to save altering the pond floor.you have a big pond there for 5 fish but im working off uk gallons which i believe is more than us gallons.i must get my calculator out.

jon
    I am going to leave my skimmer setup alone and not plumb a bottom drain to it. I like the idea of having two filtration circuits. The second circuit that I'm going to add, I've convinced myself that I want to stay pressurized the entire way through. I'm ready to pull the trigger on the following components:

1. AquaSieve Pre-Filter (sealed unit)
    2. BioTek 2.5 Filter (BioTek Series)
    3. Retro Drain from Aqua Art
    4. 3/4 HP, 2 speed pump ... Artesian

This should keep everything pressurized, which I've decided I want.

Two remaining questions:

1. Two of my koi are very small ... 3 inches. I'm worried about the bottom drain with fish this small, thoughts?

2. When plumbing the bottom drain, the side of my pond is gently sloped, I'm trying to determine how best to plumb the bottom drain. I'd like to conceal the plumbing as best I can (given that I have to do retro for right now). Should I be using a stiff PVC pipe or flexible tubing?

MCA
    Two remaining questions:

1. Two of my koi are very small ... 3 inches. I'm worried about the bottom drain with fish this small, thoughts?
    You want the area of the gap to be just slightly larger than a cross section of the drain pipe (when using 4" drain pipe to settlement chamber). I dare say most bottom drain domes are set up with a gap of ~1/2". So all but fry should not end up in the settling chamber.

2. When plumbing the bottom drain, the side of my pond is gently sloped, I'm trying to determine how best to plumb the bottom drain. I'd like to conceal the plumbing as best I can (given that I have to do retro for right now). Should I be using a stiff PVC pipe or flexible tubing?
    Trying to measure and cut PVC or ABS pipe to fit the curve could be a royal PITA. So I would guess that flex black PVC would be the best approach if you can get it to bend and lay where you want it. Any chance to take up the liner and do a BD under the pond in the spring? Hey, I had to ask.
    Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    You want the area of the gap to be just slightly larger than a cross section of the drain pipe (when using 4" drain pipe to settlement chamber). I dare say most bottom drain domes are set up with a gap of ~1/2". So all but fry should not end up in the settling chamber.

Trying to measure and cut PVC or ABS pipe to fit the curve could be a royal PITA. So I would guess that flex black PVC would be the best approach if you can get it to bend and lay where you want it. Any chance to take up the liner and do a BD under the pond in the spring? Hey, I had to ask.
    Ahh ... maybe you missed the beginning of the thread. I have a poured gunite pond. so ... umm, i can't lift the liner That's why I was using a retro drain, although, I am WIDE open to other suggestions ...

Sansai
    You could use a Static Suction Pre-filter between the retro drain and external pump. They are designed as a retro option. It installs between the retro drain and pump.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Evolving a sub-standard filtration design-dsc04209-380x507.jpg   Evolving a sub-standard filtration design-ssp015-958x719.jpg   Evolving a sub-standard filtration design-ssp011-958x719.jpg  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast