Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: K1 without bacteria

Fry

K1 without bacteria

Had always difficulties in getting a bacterial culture in my K1 media on my Nexus.
    They are almost entirely white, and there is little to spot that there is any bacteria breakdown in them. Processed all K1 with Potassium permanganate with some bacterial sludge from the pond in early summer. Media did look like as it does when it is covered with bacteria but became white again after a few weeks of use. Air is added as prescribed continuosly.

Have the same problem in my basement indoor winter pond. I have used K1 from the outdoor pond and I can measure some ammonia and nitrite, even with very careful feeding.

Some suggestions for why I do not get my K1 media to mature ?

MCA
    Hejan,

If the pH and temps are OK...and there is ammonia to eat, I would think the bacteria would take off. I doubt the air is so sterile as to not contain the bacteria. I have never had a problem...out of doors.

I suggest email Jesper at EA for a discussion on this. Many of the systems used by EA customers in the UK will be indoors.

Fry
    Jesper from EA told us to use PP +++ !! but it does NOT work. I would prefer the experience of a real user, not from the dealer that only wants to sells his products that change yearly. It does not make sense to discuss with him $$$$
    In UK most ponds are outside ponds. We move our koi and filters indoors during winter with heat.

MCA
    Sorry,

My only experiience with Nexus (have had 2 for around 5 years) is outdoors in the Southern USA. So no problem getting bacteria to grow.

Maybe someone from Northern USA or Canada can share experiences.

I may be missing what you are saying here, but just in case let me make a clarification on PP use on the media (any media, not just Kaldness)

It is used as a pre-treatment only for the purpose of cleansing and possibly etching the media to remove any manufacturing residues from the plastic. After that "pickling" process it must be neutralized and rinsed to remove any residue and then it is ready for use without any further use of PP. It should become populated with bacteria over a period of several weeks and if you seeded it with active bacteria from your outdoor pond it should have accelerated the process a little bit.

Does that describe what you did? If so I really don't understand why it wouldn't begin to colonize bacteria.
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by Keiko View Post
    Jesper from EA told us to use PP +++ !! but it does NOT work. I would prefer the experience of a real user, not from the dealer that only wants to sells his products that change yearly. It does not make sense to discuss with him $$$$
    In UK most ponds are outside ponds. We move our koi and filters indoors during winter with heat.
    Hmmm... That doesn't sound like the same Jasper that I know! The Jasper I know would first and foremost be concerned and helpful, and second he would be inquisitive and want to learn from your problem.

In any event, this PDF explains some of the tests that were performed using PP pre-treatments, as well as some conclusions drawn from the results. You may want to wade through it (ignore the discussions of J-Mat) to understand the reasons they promote the use of PP for jump starting K1 media.

http://mystickoi.com/kona/koicarpjuly2006.pdf

Kind Regards,
    Bill

kam
    Fry
    You may have too much K1 in relation to the biological loading of you fish stock. The pond is also still new and i wouldn't expect it to mature fully yet. Too much K1 and the bacteria will be spreading itself too thin on the media. The amount of bacteria in the filter is related to fish loading not the amount of media. Here's a link to EA site, it tells you how much K1 you need for your pond.
    http://www.evolutionaqua.com/acatalo...e%20Detail.pdf