Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: radiant vs exchange heaters

Fry
    How many KWH do you think you are using to heat the pond?

Electricity is pretty expensive here.

I like your reco though, as I have two filtration systems in my pound. I could install an exchanger inline in each very easily.

I looked at your contruction link, very nice.

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg P View Post
    How many KWH do you think you are using to heat the pond?

Electricity is pretty expensive here.

I like your reco though, as I have two filtration systems in my pound. I could install an exchanger inline in each very easily.

I looked at your contruction link, very nice.
    Thank you. At times during the winter it is on 24/7, so 5.5 KW times 24 is 132 KWH's a day, for me, times 9 cents is $11.88 a day when on all day.
    On a typical winter day here, high 20s at night, 60s during the afternoon the heater is on about 12 hours a day. This is to maintain 55 degree pond water.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
    Thank you. At times during the winter it is on 24/7, so 5.5 KW times 24 is 132 KWH's a day, for me, times 9 cents is $11.88 a day when on all day.
    On a typical winter day here, high 20s at night, 60s during the afternoon the heater is on about 12 hours a day. This is to maintain 55 degree pond water.
    Thanks that gives me a better idea, I use a forced air air furnace and a oil
    fired hot water tank with in cemment circulating water. If they would introduce peak and low HR rates electrical would be more feasible for me .
    Regards
    Eugene

Tategoi
    Nobody mentioned a pond cover, I expect you have one but a cover will cut the BTU loss by 60% in the winter.

Jumbo
    Just hooked up a new heater. 5.5 KW, 220 volt, only 400 bucks. Heck of a deal.

Jumbo
    Here's a couple of pictures of the new 5.5 KW electric heater on my 6700 gallon pond. The installation was very easy. I just installed it in one of the TPR lines exiting one of my sand/gravel filters. The installation was very quick and easy. I just cut a section of line out and glued the heater in place.
    While heating with electricity might not be the best for some for me it was the logical choice. Natural gas in not available here and I can get a lot more BTUs from a dollar of electricity than a dollar of propane.
    My pond is uncovered and I have been keeping it at 50 degrees. The heater has only been running an average of 8 hours a night and is keeping my water right at 50 degrees with out any fluctuation.
    So for me, 5.5 KW @ 8 hours is 44 KWH per day. Times 9 cents a KWH is $3.96 a day, or $119 a month.
    Not bad in my book. All things considered, price of heater ($400) price of electricity, and ease of installation I am pretty happy with it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12