Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black spots

Tosai
    Post Thanks / Like

Black spots

some of the koi in my pond have started to get pin size black dots on them. at first it was just a kohaku but know 2 of the chagoi have black spots to. there about the size you would get from a bald point pin. i have really hard water which i heard can cause this. was wondering if any body had a oppinion on this.
    nitrate=20
    nitrite=0
    ph=6
    general hardness=160

Post Thanks / Like
    After reading just the Title of your Thread my first thought was "Hard Water". After reading the rest of your post and you stating you have Hard Water I think thats probably the cause.

Have the Koi been in your Pond/Water long ?

I'm sure others will jump in with post.
    President : GLK&GS
    Officer : NMZNA
    Certified Judge : AKJA

Tosai
    Post Thanks / Like
    thanks. i had a water garden to begin with but 6 months ago finished a 6k gallon koi pond and it seems to have started soon after that. if you think it hard water do you know of a way to decrease hardness?

Post Thanks / Like
    a good excuse to get a water softner is to provide it for the house with benefits for the pond.... If that is not a worry,(justifying an expense) look into Reverse Osmosis water. I'd also like to see you using this equipment to raise your PH up a bit into the lower 7's.
    Dick Benbow

Post Thanks / Like
    Water softners are probably the easiest way to soften your water supply. Reverse osmosis is the high end way to do it. Just mix in unsoftened water with the treated water to get the desired GH levels.
    Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

Tosai
    Post Thanks / Like
    thnaks ill look into those. if i do this do yall know if the black spots will go away?

Post Thanks / Like
    If those black spots are shimmies...they can easily be scraped off the fish. Do that with the help of an experienced koi keeper.
    Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JOKER24 View Post
    thnaks ill look into those. if i do this do yall know if the black spots will go away?
    If the spots are shimmies, which we are just guessing is the case (photos would help), then there is mixed experience. Some see the shimmies disappear over a period of months after softening the water. Others do not. Among those who have not had the shimmies disappear, some have noted that new ones do not develop and new fish do not get them. There does not seem to be any uniform experience, but it seems clear that shimmies are much less likely in soft water.

Honmei
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ph of 6 and hardness of 160? Kinda strange. I'd be very leery of a water softener with those readings.

Steve
    The views presented are my personal views and not that of any organization that I may belong to unless otherwise specified. [email protected]
    CKHPA

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve's point is tha 160ppm is not such hard water. If the reading was 300ppm or more...you bet. Personally I like water in the 70-100ppm GH range. 160ppm may not be worth trying to lower.

pH target should be in the 7.0-7.5 range...and stable. If water starts getting acidic (below 7.0) you can start to lose the bacteria colony...and end up with high ammonia/nitrite levels.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast