Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: 3 weeks to figure this out?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by andy View Post
    You guys have really opened my eyes to this "bio remediation" concept. I can think of numerous questions regarding its application on such large scale but lets just assume its all very possible and real.........where in the world are all these environmentalist and green types and their institutions. Where is all their money to promote bio remediation while jamming it down the throats of the media where the political battles are really fought now a days.
    where? well, if they would cover this mess like they do M.Jackson, or Miss Britany or even the Octo Mom there would be a huge out cry from all those you mention. and I guess somehow it just doesn't 'play' as well as covering Katrina did
    .... but alas, it is being delt with as best it can be(not), see everything is under control(not), it is capped(holding breath), things in the gulf will be put back to better than before, they promise(sure), and BP will be made to take care of everyone who is hurting because of thier neglect-our Pres will make sure of it(will not hold my breath for this one)...... so none of those folks you mention could give a rats behind.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bioremediation's been around since the 70's and was used on a limited scale for the Exxon Valdez spill. If memory serves---the propaganda then was "water is too cold", "not enough available to make a difference", "too slow a process". BTW--Corexit was also used for the Exxon Valdez and BTW BP is a part owner of the manufacturing process and the Factory (Surprize, Surprize.)

I'm betting the new "study" of bioremediation will come up with the same BS and, by the time it's finished, we'll have a Gulf of Mexico that's better than before the spill, it will be laden with Corexit and unexplained deaths of coral reefs and other "Mysterious ailments of Flora and Fauna" will puzzle the Politicians for centuries.

The press is a willing conspirator to the sorry state of affairs by using the old propaganda trick of not telling you anything that may be deemed negative, therefore they're not lying.

We are better than this, things have to change or we will destroy ourselves.
    Werner

Pond-On (tm)

Post Thanks / Like

Thin Ice and Thick Oil...

And I quote...
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
    ...We'll all just have to cross our fingers and "hope" the seals on the new cap hold. If they designed it the way I assume they did it has a high probability of success. If not, it will either begin to leak, or suffer catastrophic failure and "launch". If it begins to leak at all they'd better get those valves back open in a hurry
    Right now they are monitoring leaks at the base of the original B.O.P. AND around the flange gasket of the new cap... STUPID STUPID STUPID!!!

They are watching the heavily stressed (by the original collapse of the pipe they had to cut off) BOP flange as it begins to leak gas. The amount of side stress that thing endured in the aftermath of the original failure was extreme, and these things are NOT designed for side stress.

At the same time they are seeing leaks around the flange gasket where the 3 valve cap attaches to the top of the BOP. At these pressures you don't just "tighten it up a bit" to fix the leak. To do so would result in an immediate catastrophic failure due to hydraulic stress and shearing. The longer these gaskets leak, the more the leaks will grow. High pressure leaks like this cut in similar fashion to a slow laser as the pressure jets like a knife.

Supposedly they already have the production string ready to install on top of the cap so they can open the valves and let the oil flow directly into an awaiting barge. No leakage, no additional skimming, no problem...

Why in the hell we have not seen them install this already is beyond me. That way if any leakage began they could act immediatly to relieve the pressure but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! we can't do that. To easy I guess.

If they don't do this and do it quick we're going to see a mess that will make the last few months look like a walk in the park on a perfect day...
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Post Thanks / Like
    That's what I'm afraid of, Larry. I have visions of the ocean bottom opening up and nothing but oil spewing for as far as you can see.

Did you see on Yahoo about 20 minutes ago where someone caught BP's monitors being photoshopped? I just looked for the link and imagine that, IT'S GONE.
    The views expressed above are my own personal views and, as such, do not necessarily reflect the views of the AKCA or the KHA program.
    SANDY

Post Thanks / Like
    The link is still gone from Yahoo but I Googled it and found this.

BP's Photoshopped 'Command Center' Picture
    The views expressed above are my own personal views and, as such, do not necessarily reflect the views of the AKCA or the KHA program.
    SANDY

Daihonmei
    Post Thanks / Like
    Large China Oil Spill Threatens Sea Life, Water

now that is a problem..
    I doubt a single person in the USA would put themselves out like these have

Post Thanks / Like
    When I saw the shot of the fireman struggling just to keep his face above the sludge I thought "holy shit!". Their spill may be tiny by comparison and close to shore, but that is one nasty mess.
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
    And I quote...

Right now they are monitoring leaks at the base of the original B.O.P. AND around the flange gasket of the new cap... STUPID STUPID STUPID!!!

They are watching the heavily stressed (by the original collapse of the pipe they had to cut off) BOP flange as it begins to leak gas. The amount of side stress that thing endured in the aftermath of the original failure was extreme, and these things are NOT designed for side stress.

At the same time they are seeing leaks around the flange gasket where the 3 valve cap attaches to the top of the BOP. At these pressures you don't just "tighten it up a bit" to fix the leak. To do so would result in an immediate catastrophic failure due to hydraulic stress and shearing. The longer these gaskets leak, the more the leaks will grow. High pressure leaks like this cut in similar fashion to a slow laser as the pressure jets like a knife.

Supposedly they already have the production string ready to install on top of the cap so they can open the valves and let the oil flow directly into an awaiting barge. No leakage, no additional skimming, no problem...

Why in the hell we have not seen them install this already is beyond me. That way if any leakage began they could act immediatly to relieve the pressure but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! we can't do that. To easy I guess.

If they don't do this and do it quick we're going to see a mess that will make the last few months look like a walk in the park on a perfect day...
    The dynamics of attaching a 8" hose to the BOP suspended 5 miles full of heavy oil and gas at 9000psi may be more difficult that you may think. How about the side loading on the cap from the hose attachment............I have to believe that by now they have the best engineering teams working on these problems.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by andy View Post
    The dynamics of attaching a 8" hose to the BOP suspended 5 miles full of heavy oil and gas at 9000psi may be more difficult that you may think. How about the side loading on the cap from the hose attachment............I have to believe that by now they have the best engineering teams working on these problems.
    That would be what you would think... In fact, when this entire debacle began that is what I assumed as well. I spent nearly 3 decades in the biz, starting at the very bottom and working upward through the ranks which is part of the reason what I see is so insane to me.
    The GPS positioning systems they use to keep the drilling and production strings lined up are impressive to say the least. Stabbing a production string from a mile up is no small trick, but they managed to do exactly that even while the oil was screaming out of the BOP, not once, but twice. THAT was far more difficult than nailing it without the added resistance of of oil and gas jetting from the well head on.
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Post Thanks / Like
    " It will not cost the Taxpayer anything"

BP is looking to apply for a 10 billion tax credit--so much for that lie.
    Werner

Pond-On (tm)

Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast