Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Now tat the longest days of the year are here....Pond temps

Daihonmei
    Post Thanks / Like

Now tat the longest days of the year are here....Pond temps

Mine is a scalding 83, Which is as high as I can remember since I went 900gph flow through

Sansai
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by luke frisbee View Post
    Mine is a scalding 83, Which is as high as I can remember since I went 900gph flow through
    68F and dropping. Looking for a warmup starting this weekend if the sun ever comes out in the sunshine state. Historically I top out and 80F and bottom out at 50F.

Post Thanks / Like
    luck to have well water, so I just cool them off in the evening by adding water.

Post Thanks / Like
    Luke: My pond has been staying around 78F for quite a while. It was over 80F in early June when we had that miserable early heat wave. The pond normally reaches 80F and a bit above in late July and stays there through August.

Daihonmei
    Post Thanks / Like
    MikeM
    Does your pond ever have sun on it. My lake has it from noon till dark..totally and uninterupted

Sansai
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Luke: My pond has been staying around 78F for quite a while. It was over 80F in early June when we had that miserable early heat wave. The pond normally reaches 80F and a bit above in late July and stays there through August.
    Mike,
    How can you possibly keep your temps that low? My pond is screened in and has a shade cover over the entire thing and I hit 88 in june, which is always my hottest month. Now that the rains have started I'm back too a more normal range of 82-85 for at least the next few months. I have tons of aeration and two 4' tall TT's that turn the pond over almost once an hour. I know we are close in proximity and our weather should be quite similar....but 78 in july. Wow.....never going too happen in my pond.
    Maybe its your thermometer. I know the last few remote ones I bought were never accurate.

Daihonmei
    Post Thanks / Like
    i got a new thermometer and i too wonder if it is accurate...but then last year I think i was still running a Porous Media shower as well as the flow through...so If the Thermometer is rigt I was 2-3 dwegrees cooler because of the PMS.

Tosai
    Post Thanks / Like
    'Morning all.....

Just how are you supposed to cool a pond without "Thermal Shock"....
    I never worried about it before, but this summer has already seen some high temps, and if it gets too high?...

...........what IS too high for a Koi anyway?....

I have a rainwater storage barrel and an Ice machine if needed, so can cool 90 gallons (UK) to a suitable temp before introducing it, but what difference would be dangerous?....
    I am working on trickle feeding the cooler water into the filter return water to dilute it, any better plan would be welcome....

Sansai
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverDragon View Post
    'Morning all.....

Just how are you supposed to cool a pond without "Thermal Shock"....
    I never worried about it before, but this summer has already seen some high temps, and if it gets too high?...

...........what IS too high for a Koi anyway?....

I have a rainwater storage barrel and an Ice machine if needed, so can cool 90 gallons (UK) to a suitable temp before introducing it, but what difference would be dangerous?....
    I am working on trickle feeding the cooler water into the filter return water to dilute it, any better plan would be welcome....
    Wherabouts are you in the UK? I have never had to worry about cooling my pond over here as our maritime climate doesn't have the very high temps that other areas of the world experience. For example I've got a growing on pond in a greenhouse and the only cooling that needs is for me to open the door and roof vent! That keeps it around 25 degrees C. Mike Snaden's written a good article about getting mud pond results outside of a mud pond here, http://www.yumekoi.com/images/stories/pdfs/mudponds.pdf Well worth a read IMHO.
    Ed

Post Thanks / Like
    Luke/Rob: The pond is shaded by a pecan tree located east of the pond until about 1:30pm. By 4:30pm, oaks to the west of the pond begin shading it. It has a shadecloth roof. With the sun so high overhead this time of year, there is very little direct sun on the water. The pond is 6 feet deep, which certainly helps. It is rare for this pond to get to 83F. The typical August temperature are 80-82F, with an occasional spike to 83 or 84F. My prior pond, which was in the same location, but did not have the shadecloth cover and was much more shallow, would hit 85F regularly over the Summer. BTW, no digital thermometer. I use a $5 one that floats in a skimmer all the time. I check the temp every morning and evening. ....This morning at 7am, the temperature was 77F. It dropped a degree overnight.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast