Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Now tat the longest days of the year are here....Pond temps

Post Thanks / Like
    Why do you use floating thermometers? In the heat, the koi stay closer to the bottom where it's cooler. I've always used the floating thermometer, too but since I have the mud pond, I started tying a brick to it with about 6" of string to get the reading closer to the bottom.
    The views expressed above are my own personal views and, as such, do not necessarily reflect the views of the AKCA or the KHA program.
    SANDY

Post Thanks / Like
    kntry, do you really get different readings at the surface vs. the bottom? I used to think that might be the case as well, but so far I'm finding temps at both extremes are almost identical in a 5' ft. pond. Maybe deeper ponds would see a bigger range. Any 'deep ponders' out there? Luke, I know BP personally requested to use your 'Lake' for well capping exercises a while back. Ever observed appreciable temperature differences at depth?

Also, if you're getting the recommended turnover per hour rate on your system, I would think temps would be pretty equalized.

BTW, 82 degrees today, but mine are still feeding like the 'pigs with fins' someone else mentioned..... on pellets.

Sansai
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kntry View Post
    Why do you use floating thermometers? In the heat, the koi stay closer to the bottom where it's cooler. I've always used the floating thermometer, too but since I have the mud pond, I started tying a brick to it with about 6" of string to get the reading closer to the bottom.
    Just like Ag said I don't think you will find much, if any difference in temps in a well circulated normal recirculating pond. Now a mudpond is probably a whole different ballgame.
    For my pond I use a sinking pool thermometer that I tie off and let sink too the bottom of the skimmer. I can't think of way too get a more accurate reading.

Sansai
    Post Thanks / Like
    You could try a digital thermometer. We used to have a wireless digital that we put in the pond and that way we could tell what the water temp was without going outside. Fish ate the probe though (also ate one in the q-tank). So I went to Walmart and bought an outdoor digital thermometer (about $14) and used spiral wrap around the probe to up over where the probe wire comes out of the pond. The sprial wrap is big enough that the water still flows around it, but the fish haven't bothered it. The unit is not Weather Proof but it has been out there for years.....first in a plastic bag. I like that you can easily read changes in tenths of degrees....and some of them have hi and lows registers to record those too.

Post Thanks / Like
    we just got a new thermocambobulator, its real cool looking with its green alligator topper. Last I looked the QT temp was hovering right aobut 78.
    Amanda Bulls-Stephens
    Creator of "The Tail End"
    Central California Koi Society

Daihonmei
    Post Thanks / Like
    in a non-circulated pond you would have gradient temps...
    Not so in a pond that is being truned over...the best the koi can do is find shade ...and somewhat depth.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kntry View Post
    My QT is 3.5 feet deep above the ground. I wonder if it realy is cooler at the bottom of mine, than at the bottom of yours? However in my gran's swimming pool (in ground) there are noticable temperature layers. I am thinking that maybe the coolest part of my pond could be the middle section at middle depth? Hmm, however I did use foam insulation as padding for the rubber liner. I wonder if that might be stabalizing the QT tank? So maybe I should test the temp at the bottom middle the middle middle and the top middle?

Ah Luke has a good point there, my pond is not turning over 2x's an hour as I would like it, its more like 1.5 times and hour. Also we just rigged up the cheapest ever fine filter (about 4 bucks). The fine filter is being supplied by what normaly would be my current jet.
    Amanda Bulls-Stephens
    Creator of "The Tail End"
    Central California Koi Society

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoneFishin View Post
    I've found that once my water temps hit about 78 or over my koi don't seem interested in eating pellets. They'll demolish a Romaine heart lettuce quickly and jump over each other for chopped shrimp, but pellets are taken only with great reluctance. My water currently is reading at 82f.

Has anyone else experienced this reluctance to take pellets at a high water temp?

BTW. Hello all, I'm new here.
    Yes, but it needs to be over 80F for my koi to really show that tendency. But, I find that it only applies to floating pellets. They still consume as much when fed sinking pellets.

Daihonmei
    Post Thanks / Like
    Spawning, aquatic insect hatches, wind-blown insects and vegetation have a greater impact on how much my koi will eat.. from 72 degrees or so to whatever the lake has gotten to since I've gone to a large percentage of flow-through per day (83 so far). As it gets warmer all of the above tend to become a greater part of a koi's diet...especially at night...I have some nocturnal insect hatches that would rival the Battenkill. I have at least three different mayfly hatches and the Bloodworm/midges can be thick... "thick like the casings can be a quarter of an inch thick on the surface of the water in some parts of the raceway...what I haven't figured out is why a single mayfly adult body is ever found by me on the surface of the lake...the koi must be "stuffed"

Although "titled "mayfly hatch' this was part of a midge hatch, and not a major hatch.
    even though I live in a sub-tropical region the annual cycle of life ramps up in the Spring and Summer providing more, much more desirable food items for my koi than the staple pellet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mayfly hatch '07-06-20.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	110.2 KB 
ID:	29748  
    Last edited by luke frisbee; 07-13-2010 at 10:10 AM.

Sansai
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruth Rice View Post
    You could try a digital thermometer. We used to have a wireless digital that we put in the pond and that way we could tell what the water temp was without going outside. Fish ate the probe though (also ate one in the q-tank). So I went to Walmart and bought an outdoor digital thermometer (about $14) and used spiral wrap around the probe to up over where the probe wire comes out of the pond. The sprial wrap is big enough that the water still flows around it, but the fish haven't bothered it. The unit is not Weather Proof but it has been out there for years.....first in a plastic bag. I like that you can easily read changes in tenths of degrees....and some of them have hi and lows registers to record those too.
    Ruth these were the temp gauges I was talking about. I had an old radio shack brand that they no longer make that was accurate. I replaced it with a La Crosse brand and have been through three wireless probes. Not one of them provided an accurate reading...so now I just use the old cheapo sinking pool thermometer and at least I know I get an accurate reading.
    I loved the wireless ones but what good are they if they don't give an accurate reading.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast