Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A visit to Purdin Koi Farm

Post Thanks / Like
    Ray, I was going to tell you I would bring my camera and got sidetracked. I'd love to take pics of my favorite subject.
    The views expressed above are my own personal views and, as such, do not necessarily reflect the views of the AKCA or the KHA program.
    SANDY

Daihonmei
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethan25 View Post
    Dick, you mentioned this is your favorite.

what's up with the right eye??? it looks like it is missing a gaping area in front of it. Is it trying to live up to its heritage??? (ONE EYE)

ethan that is a good catch
    it sure looks like a head deformity

Post Thanks / Like
    well now, you two are a real mess today! as if Dick would choose a deformed koi as his favorite ....really?

I don't believe there is any chance Bill or Scott would let a deformity like that get past the early stages of culling. I personally saw Scott cull a sanke that even gave Sandy a suprise! Scott simply didn't think it represented what he was trying to achieve in his sanke.

Post Thanks / Like
    perhaps a cleaner shot would help the situation for all to see.
    Dick Benbow

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    well now, you two are a real mess today! as if Dick would choose a deformed koi as his favorite ....really?

I don't believe there is any chance Bill or Scott would let a deformity like that get past the early stages of culling. I personally saw Scott cull a sanke that even gave Sandy a suprise! Scott simply didn't think it represented what he was trying to achieve in his sanke.
    oh, it just really does look like there's something up with the first picture. ask dick, I am sure he sees it.....and yes, a picture can do a lot to mess with a fish for sure.
    The views I have are completely representative of who I am, and may/may not be representative of clubs I may or may not be a part of.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ethan, did you see the pic Dick posted 6 minutes before your last post?

Another example of not judging koi by a pic.
    The views expressed above are my own personal views and, as such, do not necessarily reflect the views of the AKCA or the KHA program.
    SANDY

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kntry View Post

yes, which is why I posted what I just said. THe first picture looks like it has something wrong with the mouth, between the eyes and mouth.

just making an observation/
    The views I have are completely representative of who I am, and may/may not be representative of clubs I may or may not be a part of.

Daihonmei
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kntry View Post

well in the second pic the deformity is showing on the otherside of the head ...judging koi by pics can also be a valuable tool...what you can't judge from a pic is the quality and thickness of the skin..what you can judge is the shaope of the fish...I'd be very interested in seeing this fish in person to see how bad the head really is...
    And i don't think that showing a pic that HIDES that deformity in the head area that Ethan saw is proving anything except that if you can't see that deformity from another angle or from the opposite side of the fish then it really no longer exists... What rubbish!
    Dick IF you want to prove the fish doesn't have a deformity take some pics that show the area up close and from all angles, not one that is taken at an angle where the koi's deformity is hidden...
    i once took home a kumonryu that had only one pec fin... i became enamoured with the koi before I looked it over with a critical eye.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Luke,
    The Koi is now in the mud, growing on for the fall harvest and unavailable for additional photographs at this time.
    I know it will be one of the first koi selected at the harvest. Perhaps the new owner may want to respond with photos.
    As for me, I'm done responding, as i find the perception that something is wrong with this koi, is beneath meriting furthur comment.
    Dick Benbow

Tosai
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, I just love this fish! It almost looks as if its wearing lipstick! Purdin has awesome fish! And they are absulutely some of the nicest people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting! I can't wait for the opportunity to return to there koi farm. The last time I was there, he took time from his very busy schedule to show me around and teach me a few things. He also showed us the cull tank, I was very surprised at some of the fish that were culled. It is an awesome place with some awesome people running it!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast