Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Koi Parasite Identity

Fry
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Koi Parasite Identity

I'm really new to my Koi attraction, moved into a place that had neglected Koi ponds, rarely fed, so I started taking care of them, the pond that the Koi's were in, was in the front yard, right next to the side walk, for all passers by, to poke and prod at. Since, the Koi were so afraid of Humans, I moved four of them out of a stinky mud pond into a clean one, obvious mistake, well filtered, shaded, but now they are human friendly, eat out of my hand, have 4 Koi in a pond about 600 gallons, the Koi are small compared to some of these I have seen, only 10 to 12 inches. But now they have some sort of parasite, under tail fin, looks, like a little B.B. a little bloody, some of the bump is bright red, so I assume this is blood, and it appears to have a tiny very thin white thread attached to the bump under the tail fin. Can I get some advise, please, I thank you in advance....
    New User
    Tammy
    Last edited by tdavies73; 07-19-2010 at 02:48 PM. Reason: spelling

Post Thanks / Like
    Can you post a pic? It sounds like an anchor worm but without actually seeing it, it's hard to tell.

You can also Google Anchor Worm pic and see if that's what it looks like. If it is, you can carefully remove it with a pair of tweezers and put some Peroxide on the wound. If your water quality is good, not just clear, the fish will heal. Do you have plants in the pond?

If you have one anchor worm, there will probably be more but lets decide if that's the problem first.
    The views expressed above are my own personal views and, as such, do not necessarily reflect the views of the AKCA or the KHA program.
    SANDY

Fry
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks

I'll do that now...

Fry
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool thanks Kntry

that's exactly what it is! Darn, how do I relax the Koi enough to get them out?

Post Thanks / Like
    i had a shop that got an infestation of these a month back.
    they would pull them off ( out) with tweezers.
    you can sedate the fish with clove oil or benzocaine or a product called aqui-s.
    which has clove oil as the ingredient but is a registered product. take care with benzocaine because if you overdose and dont bring the kois back round fast they may not breathe again. clove oil you may find at health food stores or a chemist, they use it for tooth/gum pain.

i think it is the female anchor worm that attaches to the fish. so there would likely be males around too. the shop treated with a product called dimlin, which you should find in aquarium stores. i think it has trichorfon in it. you might have access to neguvon. bayer no longer produce it in australia.
    it works well on argulas ( crab louse) too.

i believe you have to treat the pond again a few weeks later because after a few weeks the shop got another outbreak and they say they never added any new imported fish and only got fish from me. probably best to check the life cycle because it may be the egg stage is resistant to treatments, hence the need to treat more than just once.

Fry
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink thanks Kntry

You have been loads of help, I'll be on my hunt for clove oil and Dimin, in the morning, I finally have them trained enough to eat peas from my hand, now this, thanks again, I did read that the pond has to be treated too, can the infestation be caused by a lake caught Blue-Gill fish a friend tossed in my pond a couple of weeks ago? Or maybe the Lilly Plant I got from another friends pond? who knows, but thanks a million, Tammy

Post Thanks / Like
    yes, could have come in on the other specie of fish or the plants.
    anything new. potentially even off some water from a ducks feathers.. or could have been there a long while without you noticing. it came from wherever else had it..so its hard to guess but this is why some people are very particular about quarantining new fish. even if a new fish looks ok, it could be carrying or it could be in the water, then manifest as a problem weeks later.

i think its spelled dimlin. depending on where you are, there may be something else that is available.. go online and research or front your local aquarium shop and ask about anchor worm treatment but to make sure your buying something effective ( depends on if the shop owner knows much about them) cross check the active ingredient and a list of chemicals you can use for good effect on anchor worm. be safe. read and act within directions. best of luck but these parasites are controllable and can be gotten rid of entirely.

Fry
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up anchor suckers,

thanks again, the clove oil sounds good, and then onto the fish store I'll go, you've been a great help... thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    You can get clove oil from a pharmacy or health food store. Use 8 drops per gallon of water. Mix it in well, and add the fish. You will see the fish begin to calm in a few minutes, and then begin to having trouble saying up-right in the water (about 4 minutes, for light sedation, 6 minutes for full sedation). For what you are doing, that's probably enough sedation. Take the fish out of the water and lay it on bubble wrap to work on it (wet towels will damage the slime coat). Put a piece of saran wrap on it's face so it's eyes don't dry out. Work quickly....you have maybe 5 minutes. If the fish is still moving too much, put it back in the clove oil for a bit longer. Never leave a fish unattended in clove oil though, because it can go too deeply under sedation and might die. Once you have the anchor worm off, dab the spot with some betadine or gentian violet (also available at a pharmacy), being careful to not get any in the fish's eyes or gills. Return the fish to the pond. I like to hold them in the net under the waterfall or in the air bubbles from aeration to help them come around sooner. It takes about 6 minutes for them to begin swimming normally again.

Look for a product called Anchor's away. It's the same as dimilin. There are various anchor worm products out there, just make sure the active ingredient is dimilin. Good luck!

I would also threaten your blue-gill friend with great bodily harm if he ever tossed wild-caught fish in your pond again. Anchor worms are a fairly easy parasite to kill, but you could also end up with much more serious (and life threatening) parasites such as costia and flukes. All new plants should be sterilized with potassium permanganate before adding them to the pond as well.

Daihonmei
    Post Thanks / Like
    if you use dimlin you do not have to catch your koi and set up a potentially more damaging scenario than anchor worm...just treat the pond with dimlin. do it twice a few days apart and make sure you go OVER the recommended dosing as dimlin is not very damaging to fish at greater concentration and you want to get all the anchor worms in all stages of development.
    I strongly suggest you let the dimlin kill the adult anchor worms and they will drop of in due time, and the koi will not have to suffer at the hands of a newbie.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast