Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Can our hobby survive without shows.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
    That's what I'm wondering.
    There has to be a "cost/benefit" analysis to make something like that work. And when I say that I'm not just talking about the dollars and cents of it. What would the impact to newer "local" members be if the faced a drive of many hours versus only an hour (or less). Even many an experienced show veteran hesitates to travel far with prized Koi and participation could be greatly diminished. The loss of local exposure that might attract new interest would be a cost to the hobby as well. How many local members unable (or unwilling) to transport Koi a few hundred miles extra are likely to make the same long drive to someone else' show?
    Points well taken...........but if you're truly involved in the hobby, assuming good geographical distribution, 4-5 hr. would be just fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    How namy of you travel to more than 2 shows per year?...............

Post Thanks / Like
    Well 2 hours is one thing, but 500 miles in a car with average speeds of say 50 miles an hour is a ten hour drive. This is factoring in the potty breaks, the lunch stops, the fuel stops, etc.
    Amanda Bulls-Stephens
    Creator of "The Tail End"
    Central California Koi Society

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bighatbulls View Post
    Well 2 hours is one thing, but 500 miles in a car with average speeds of say 50 miles an hour is a ten hour drive. This is factoring in the potty breaks, the lunch stops, the fuel stops, etc.
    OK 400 miles.........and traveling 65-75 is about 5 hrs. + 20 min stop.........no sweat

Tosai
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can our hobby survive without shows.....

A strange question unless you believe that the majority of hobbyists go to shows. I think it's reasonable to assume that there are many thousands of hobbyists world wide that have probably never been to a show.

So IMO the answer to the question posed has to be, yes, of course the hobby would survive without koi shows.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by andy View Post
    OK 400 miles.........and traveling 65-75 is about 5 hrs. + 20 min stop.........no sweat
    LOL. I'll say this if I could I would attend every California show possible.
    Amanda Bulls-Stephens
    Creator of "The Tail End"
    Central California Koi Society

Post Thanks / Like
    What is the true ultimate purpose of a Koi show? IMO the ultimate goal is to show (present to the world) your Koi which is nothing more than an extension of your hard work and your ability to keep and grow quality fish. Education runs a close second and all the social stuff a distant third.

Why not choose one maybe two regional shows per year as the target to present your Koi. Let the educational and social stuff take place at the local club meeting and through personal research.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoneFishin View Post
    Can our hobby survive without shows.....

A strange question unless you believe that the majority of hobbyists go to shows. I think it's reasonable to assume that there are many thousands of hobbyists world wide that have probably never been to a show.

So IMO the answer to the question posed has to be, yes, of course the hobby would survive without koi shows.
    I'd be willing to bet that if you invested thousands in quality Koi and the maintenance of that Koi most would like to show the world their abilities. The competitive spirit is in all of us don't kid yourself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by andy View Post
    Points well taken...........but if you're truly involved in the hobby, assuming good geographical distribution, 4-5 hr. would be just fine.
    As it stands, the closest show to me is a 4 hour trip plus time for bagging fish for transport, etc... To "compress" the shows into a more regional distribution would stretch that by roughly double at best.
    What you are also ignoring is the "non-entrant" participation in shows. How many people who attend shows for the time with friends, participating in auctions, etc... are going to drive the "extra" 2-300 miles for the privilege of attending?
    Fewer shows spread out at greater distances equals lower participation, especially from newer hobbyists. It kills most of the outlying clubs ability to attract new members via the show venue (except for the one club that is the local host), and it limits vendor opportunities for exposure to a larger customer base.
    I just fail to see how "less" equals "more" for the clubs in particular and the hobby in general.
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Daihonmei
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruth Rice View Post
    Shows will continue to go on wherever you have some people who are interested enough to put one on.
    All posts after this one read, "wah WAH waah WAH wahWAH" ala charlie brown

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast