Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you think of my Doitsu Showa

Post Thanks / Like

What do you think of my Doitsu Showa

Hi I was wondering if anybody could give me feedback or comments or questions! Please!! Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Doitsh Showa.jpg 
Views:	2754 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	32915   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	show3.jpg 
Views:	2489 
Size:	376.9 KB 
ID:	32916  

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the pattern.

Looks like there is still some sumi comming and it could take over a large part of the beni. Only time will tell. Always interesting to follow showa development.

Post Thanks / Like
    What a nice first post. Your doitsu Showa makes a pretty sight for starting the morning. Welcome to Bito.

Doitsu koi have certain inherent advantages over fully scaled koi (wagoi), and disadvantages that go hand in hand. The absence of scales gives the pattern sharp, clean edges, which add color contrasts that a wagoi just cannot have. At the same time, the color pigments are necessarily more shallow than in a wagoi whose scales provide extra layers of pigment. The doitsu gosanke have a special brilliance, especially when under 50cm or so. The wagoi will almost always be ranked higher at a show, both due to the added dimension scales create and the greater difficulty in having wagoi attain a like level of finish. And, of course, there is a certain degree of bias against doitsu compared to wagoi. (Judges will explain that the bias is rationally based.)

What makes your doitsu Showa interesting is the play of red against black. The sumi is heavy on the left side of the fish, while the Hi is heavy on the right side. There is just enough of each intruding on the opposite side to prevent the fish from being divided down the middle. The interplay of the two colors on the head creates a ying-yang effect. In most koi, such an imbalance of colors would not be harmonious. In Showa, however, red can balance black on a white ground in a fashion that stays true to the atmosphere of Showa. You have selected quite an attractive doitsu. I hope you raise a strong, healthy koi and can post a progress photo in 6 months or so.

Daihonmei
    Post Thanks / Like
    very good overview Mike.

A judge I know, once described doitsu to wagoi using this image---

a doitsu is to a wagoi as a photograph is to an oil painting

so the doitsu is a glossy color photo of an oil painting of one dimension and an oil painting is about color, texture and depth.

You koi has a very interesting and inviting pattern ( especially in the first half) and is a good show fish for sizes 1- 4. There will be issues with luster soon on your koi however, beginning with the beni. For now enjoy the bright and vivid look of your doitsu. JR

Post Thanks / Like
    It has the geometric puzzle look.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	koi.jpg 
Views:	2007 
Size:	4.0 KB 
ID:	32920  

Post Thanks / Like
    I love the face pattern as it is today...please remember to up date us as it developes as I am sure changes are on the way.
    welcome to Bito

Nisai
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,

I agree with MikeM mostly, especially the part about the colouration. Because it is a doitsu, the density of the colouration is of utmost importance. That's also the reason i cannot make a honoust judgement about this fish, purely because of the low resolution of the pictures. I cannot judge the evenness of the beni, which is the most important thing about doitsu koi. It all falls or stand by the beni quality, ofcourse supported by a nice bodyshape and teri (lustre).

Could you provide some higher res pic's?

He/She looks promosing though!

Gr,

Bram Rohaan

Post Thanks / Like
    Doitsu koi really caught my eye when I first came into the hobbie. The contrast and bright colors just overwhelmed me. Doitsu gosanke were what I wanted the most. Finding D gosanke that would hold those bright colors are another thing though. I still love them and yours is very nice.

I would love to see this fish develope. Hope you can keep posting pics as it grows.

Daihonmei
    Post Thanks / Like
    Everyone realizes that doitsu don't develop, right? 'development' is a wagoi concept and happens as the skin develops, scales grow and skin above, below and around the scale allows for the multi-depth of color cells to finally fixate. JR

Nisai
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JasPR View Post
    Everyone realizes that doitsu don't develop, right? 'development' is a wagoi concept and happens as the skin develops, scales grow and skin above, below and around the scale allows for the multi-depth of color cells to finally fixate. JR
    Hi JasPR,

What is your point with this?

Gr,

Bram

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast