Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nichirin Magazine

Nisai
    Post Thanks / Like

Nichirin Magazine

I just got my latest addition of Nichirin and was pleasantly surprised. Finally there was more content than a billion Koi pictures (not complaining about the pics, just the lack of good articles). Even though the idea about the overview of the different farms and family members is not a new thing and is being done in other magazines, I still like their approach, found the articles to be good reading and as usual, wow, what nice pictures.
    I know that many of us have been hungry for more articles in the magazine and have even expressed this to some of our leadership in America. I also know that there is a move on their part to do just that, so I am hoping that this trend I saw in this issue will continure.
    Since JR posts to the board and knows what I am talking about, and has even promised to do some articles for Nichirin, perhaps if others on the board would express their opinions on the latest issue it might help him reinforce the idea to Japan.
    BTW, did you catch the last pages in the new edition? I was really surprised, but pleased to see an article by Americas very own Erik Johnson DVM pubished. I didn't think I would ever see that.
    Hey, here is another idea. Wouldn't it be nice if they added a my dream pond section (in addition to the one we have) that showed some American and other countries ponds?

What do ya'll think?

Sansai
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with you Rod. Good articles will only improve Nichirin and make it more interesting.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used to take the english edition Nichirin and felt it was wanting in just the area's you detail.
    What really frustrated me was when comparing a particular edition to it's Japanese equivalent edition there was loads of other stuff that didn't get included in the english edition.
    I never knew why but did wonder if this was why I felt, as you do now, that the english edition was lacking in some areas. I don't even know if this is still the case but a guess that it is would seem favourite.
    Andrew

"Gentlemen prefer ponds"

Post Thanks / Like
    Which is what makes K-B such a fine alternative!

Jumbo
    Post Thanks / Like

Nichirin

Looking forward to this issue Rod. My complaint with Nichirin is that the photos are doctored and tweaked so severely. I like to see Koi as they are, flaws and all. If a Koi has yellowish skin, or imperfections in the beni, I like to see this. There are so many subtle details (good and bad) that get washed away in these "centerfold" photos.

What do you guys and gals think of manipulating photos?

Best Wishes,
    Brady Brandwood

Nisai
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well Mike, I think I like the compliment instead of aternative when it comes to these two magazines. Which one compliments which, makes no difference. I would prefer not to give up either one of them. I now have subscriptions to not only these two mags, but also Koi USA, Nishikigoi International and Koi Keepers Magazine. The cost is killing me for all of these, but they each have their own look at things and all very good publications.

Brady, I agree with you on the pics of the Koi. Tell it like it is. I wonder how many Koi sales are lost because people see pics like these and pass trying to achieve the goals set by those pictures. The sad part is that 99 percent of the people into Koi couldn't afford a Koi like that if they did find one. Yep, show it as it is so that we can truly appreciate Koi.

Speaking of your next issue, how about dropping me an e-mail, I've got something to talk to you about.

Rod L.

Post Thanks / Like
    was a zen nippon arinkai member forever. fact # 10 on the NW list.
    dropped it all last year out of frustration and passed the word back that when they quit feeding adults pablum, to let me know. picked up
    KK and renewed NI which I found was better than nichirin. haven't seen the magazine since but nice to know maybe somebody's listening.
    actually from my point of view I have enough european/american viewpoint on the hobby, i wanted a straight japanese view since the approach is different and gives us a different prospective. propbably why I
    like K-B so much.
    on the lighter side, Brady....hey...so that's why I can never find a good asagi...ah so deska!

Post Thanks / Like
    was thinking about my last post and thought I should have asked about Rinko. that was my absolute favorite and when they went out of mag form and strictly computer we went our separate ways. does anyone get
    that service? how does it stack up against what else is out there? there's one article in an old rinko I re-read every few weeks entitled motherlike asagi, a feature on hosokai and his spiral the top of the all japan show
    in the 80's.

Jumbo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dick

I took it for a year, quite frankly it's crap imho.

I shared it with a few other people when the download came in and none of them came hunting me down when the subscription ran out demanding that I renew, although i do wish Rinko would take the hint that as i haven't responded to the 'renewal' e-mail after all this time the fact they send it every month won't make me start again.

The biggest downside wasn't the information, although that was rather scant, for example they covered Momotaro and the 1m sanke in much less detail than Koi Bito has, really just scratching the surface, but the photo's in the PDF file were useless so basically you paid the money for some small articles and some Japanese adverts which were essentially the same each fortnight.

I've said it before and i'll say it again (no doubt many times), I honestly believe that Koi Bito is leading the way, certainly for what i want to read about.

Mark
    Mark Gardner

Nisai
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have to agree with you about Rinko Dick. I had bought several copies at a store in the U.S. and when I finally decided I should just get a subscription they went internet, I didn't like what I was seeing and just dropped them from any more consideration.
    I love KB and jumped on it from the very beginning waiting a long time from the time I paid up till my first issue (which had me a little worried about what I had done), but the wait was well worth it. Now days I am more worried about if my subscrition has run out and how to re-up for the next year so that I don't miss an issue (I'm already up'd for this year). Keep it up Brian!!!!

Rod L.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast