Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What makes for a good Chargoi

Post Thanks / Like

What makes for a good Chargoi

Interesting thread posted by Shiari on the Soragoi, so I thought in light of that discussion we might continue with what characteristics make for a good Chargoi. Pictures would be great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you mean Chagoi. My brother has one that is the friendliest in his pond. I do have a small one right now with ginrin scales I don't have a picture of it. I just about lost it last fall when removing them from the pond and couldn't find it. It was caught under a big piece of ice and floated upside down for a few hours I kept righting it and in a couple of days it was back to normal. The ice came is so fast last fall. The days are short and that is a weekend project excuses excuses. It is -45C here today if you can imagine that but all the koi are fine indoors and eating well.
    The perfect koi is always one purchase or spawning away!

Post Thanks / Like
    Sanke56 - glad your chagoi is ok. Boy you're really having some extreme weather up there right now. Keep warm! Thanks for the post - thought I would have the dubious distinction of having the only thread on Koi-Bito without a response. Maybe it was the typo - no such thing as a chargoi - huh - gotta be the reason ( at least I'll think that for now). Okay here goes again with some specific questions. On CHAGOI what is the perferred body color if any. All all colors equal and it's just personal preference? Is a dark brownish chagoi with pectorals that have a blue tint on the edge of the fin itself, a better example than one without the tinted edge?. At one of the shows a few years ago, I overhead a Japanese judge (after judging had taken place) indicating to an individual, that this was desirable on a paricular chagoi they were looking at.

Post Thanks / Like
    My understanding of chagaoi is they are usually brownish yellow or even brown very boring in appearance but very friendly and large was the 54 inch one at the all Japan a year or so ago a chagoi SMG would know I am sure. My expertise if I have any is spawning and raising koi. I am trying to get some decent bloodlines going but I don't have deep pockets. My bloodline are mostly from Sakai but I don't think I have any of his latest developments but the gin rin chagoi is from his ponds as well. She should make a nice fish if she survives the rigors of this climate. I will take a nice picture of her as soon as I can.

Post Thanks / Like
    I remember seeing a picture of her. She was huge and fat, those fat little cheeks obviously sucking in a lot of paste food.

There are brown chagois, greenish brown chagois, yellowish brown chagois. OK, are there YELLOW chagois?

Somerset, England. (land of the country bumpkin)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Time for me to join in.
    This is a mix bowl of my Chagoi babies from year before last. They're a mixed bag, because male parents were a chagoi and a kohaku to the female chagoi. Aim was chagoi, sorigoi and ochiba. I got the planned outcome, but i was not happy with the ochiba colour.
    This photo shows the mix of colour that can come from one spawning.

This is the range of colour from lightest to darkest. If you are looking for scale reticulation, don't pick one that is too light.

Maurice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Maurice - thanks for the photos. Good tip on scale reticulation - never looked at it that way but you're right - not much or lack of that on a lighter chagoi. Here's a 24 incher on the lighter side of the color range for this variety.

Post Thanks / Like
    I love it when someone is trying to have a serious conversation about koi, posts a picture of a fish and here this website posts the cutsiepie, silly, sentimental name of the fish if it is the file name. This is very enjoyable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah those file names come up whenever I post a photo. This was a chagoi at a dealer's (a friend) who my wife inappropriately named Sugar. Should have called it Nuisance. Over a period of a couple days last spring as I was trying to get her to hand feed, I created a very spoiled koi pest. At the sight of someone she would come to the surface and beg. If ignored she would follow you to what ever position you placed yourself adjacent to the holding pond she was in. If you were turned from her and looking into another pond, you could feel her beady eyes on your back. This happened in two short days. Goes to show ya - they are one friendly fish. :smt003

Post Thanks / Like

scales

So chagoi should have definite scale reticulation. Like the one on the right?
    What other aspects other than conformation are important gin rin scales OK. Mine has those she has quite nice confromation and color wise I will have to check for reticulation

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast