Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: 80cm Koi-Bito Article

Tosai
    Post Thanks / Like

80cm Koi-Bito Article

Apologies for those who have read this on Koi-Chat already.

Hope all that subscribe have had a chance to read this. In short for those that don't or haven't it relates to 3 people in the UK on a quest to grow a go-sanke koi from tosai to 80cm plus within 4 years. One of these persons made quite an entrance at National 2003(Cliff Neale). Koi are all from Momotaro although some shiro utsuris from Omosako are being grown under same conditions.
    Just wondered what the thoughts were on it because I rang Mike at Yumekoi tonight to tell him how depressed I was(and pointed out it was his fault) with my general growth rates because 1. I haven't sorted my heating out yet!(but it 's nearly done) 2. My pond is only 3000 gallons(although this is this least of the areas for concern) 3. (THE BIGGEST PROBLEM IN MY EYES) MY TDS IS HIGH AS I HAVE RELATIVELY HARD WATER.
    The one thing that comes through in this article is that these individuals have either been naturally blessed like Colin in Swansea with soft water or invested heavily in providing optimum conditions for koi growth ie RO plant for soft water along with heating and good filtration ie Bakki showers being another common denominator. AND IT IS PAYING OFF - look at what they are achieving, they are turning a few hundred pound fish into a few thousand pounds in a couple of years(not that I'm saying be mercenary but it's saving on their infrastructure investment), not only that they are having the pleasure of more or less be able to see this development over a relatively short period of time and also therefore have the benefit of knowing what blood lines they want some more of before too late(ie when your fish looks quite nice and big after 7 or 8 years and you find out the parent is long gone).
    So for me I am weighing things up. I have 2 for me very expensive and I "hope" high quality fish growing in Japan with Momotaro. I have a some reasonable(but not excessively good) fish in my pond. I think ifI were to commit to staying in my home I would without doubt 1. Make the pond bigger(6000 gallons min) as I will be looking to house 80cm plus fish in it 2. fit an insulated bacci shower 3. MOST IMPORTANTLY MAKE SOFT WATER WITH AN RO PLANT.(this was the biggest diffence Cliff Neale with 18,000 gallons and good filtration found to be the difference for growth as have others).
    AS it is I maybe looking to move within the next couple of years therefore this would be to waste. Instead I will be looking for a new property with room for a good size pond, soft water(low TDS)and try and ensure I'm not on a water meter(esp if the TDS needs dropping with an RO Plant).
    Anyway enough of my ramblings anyone else inspired or got any view on the subject.
    your
    Stuart Toms

Tategoi
    Post Thanks / Like

Stuart T: Why do you need a new home

Hi Stuart:

A pond, 3.5m wide x 5m long x 2m deep = approx. 6,750 gallons...Why would you need to purchase a new home to build a pond this size? Are the lots in England that small...Is this an inner city lot?

Just wondering...Aloha! Mike T

Tosai
    Post Thanks / Like
    There not particularly big on modern housing these days i guess my rear garden is 15M * 8M at the most. Yes so would fit but by time any enclosure around it and filter area not much left and as i say if looking to move soon it would be to waste to implement theses changes for such a short period also modern properties here you pay for your water by a meter which charges for what you use, older properties you just get a flat charge, no meter so if a relatively wasteful RO plant were needed you can guess which would be the expensive housing option.

regards
    stuart

Post Thanks / Like
    Just for the record... Ian Graham's Kohaku was 60cm two weeks ago, and will be two years old in June. It is possible that she will attain he 2005 target size a year early. I think that there is a strong possibilty of 80cm being achieved as Yonsai (4 years old).

This article is aimed at making people realise that growing Koi at such rates is achievable, and that it is also possible to raise relatively inexpensive Koi, to become highly prized specimens. At the end of the day, you can go out and buy an 80cm Koi for perhaps 5,000,000 yen (25,000), or have a go at growing your own. This is by far the best way to learn about Koi, in my opinion. The satisfaction gained is immeasurable.

Mike.

Sansai
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Stuart T on one point: the cost of R/O is prohibitive. I am curious to ask Mike Snaden, is demineraliser or deioniser, which is less expensive, does quite the same job as R/O? I was informed that it can reduce TDS up to less then 10 ppm!