Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Anoxic Filters: Updates from anyone?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangles View Post
    Hey all, I've been looking at the Anoxic system for about a year now and was going to incorporate it in my new pond build, however regardless of trying just about every cat litter I can find I haven't found one here in Perth, Western Australia that will do the job, ie stay in a solid granule.
    As regard to water changes the Bio-Filtration takes care the ammonia-nitrate cycle but what takes care of the pheromones if not the water changes in the Anoxic system.
    Pls check if you can find this brand from India: Attapulgite Non-Clumping Cat Litter, Natural Clay Cats Litter, Pura Cat Litters in India

It has the qualities - nonclumping, granulated, from natural clay, no added chemicals.

Tosai
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Yerrag, I didn't find the ones you mentioned but I did find this one, 100% all natural Attapulgite non-clumping clay, called "Fussy Cat". Thanks very much for putting a name to the clay, It's also called Fullers Earth.

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad you found one. It may even be sourced from Pura, as Pura does private labeling. How are you setting up your pre-filter?

Tosai
    Post Thanks / Like
    At the moment Ive set up as a standard pond, brushes>K1>jap-mat on one 16000L/Hr pump and 2 BD, and then I have a 10000L skimmer>UV>sand/gravel filter. I was going to put Anoxic filtration after this until its established then cut out the K1 and see if it still operates.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangles View Post
    At the moment Ive set up as a standard pond, brushes>K1>jap-mat on one 16000L/Hr pump and 2 BD, and then I have a 10000L skimmer>UV>sand/gravel filter. I was going to put Anoxic filtration after this until its established then cut out the K1 and see if it still operates.
    So the filter setup would end up as brushes>jap-mat>anoxic?

Interesting that you had UV before the sand/gravel filter on the skimmer filter circuit. Is the purpose to keep the s/g filter from accumulating bacteria?

Tosai
    Post Thanks / Like
    No it is to collect the dead algae stopping it from going back into the pond.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's been nearly a year since I started testing anoxic filtration in my 75-gallon aquarium. This week I had a breakthrough. I got a reading of 10 mg/l or ppm on my nitrates. The aquarium water came from my pond, which registers 80 ppm.

I finally was able to find a suitable clay material locally, in Manila, although it is imported from India. The brand is Pura, Ashapurite Non-Clumping traditional cat litter. I had tried locally sourced zeolite, which is also used as cat litter, but it didn't work.

So it won't be long before I fill up plant baskets with clay and laterite, and put them in my small 150-gallon "not a veggie filter anymore," which gets a quarter portion of the pond return from the filter, and outflows into the main pond. The 150-gallon pond will be like a nursery, where the basket will slowly develop bacteria to turn into biocenosis baskets, which form the basic units of an anoxic filtration system.

In time, I will transplant these baskets into my 2nd biofilter chamber, which are currently occupied by jap mats. If and when the transplant is successful, I will then cultivate more biocenosis baskets for eventual transplant into the 1st biofilter chamber.

To address concerns about fines which many, including myself, fear would plug up the basket and cause the baskets to become anaerobic at worst or laborious to clean at best, I'm already making great progress at reducing the fines reaching the biofilter chambers. Improvements in sump settlement involve the use of a swirl design, the use of a series of baffles, and the creation of eddies where fines can settle. Instead of relying only on filter brushes, I'm also making room for a raceway for fines to settle, and the use of a k1 static bed. The filter brushes, if no longer needed, will allow room for me to set up some screen filters. Stainless mesh filters as a start, but with luck and available sourcing, towards a reverse sieve filter using 250-micron wedge wire. While I am way off from rdf-level 50-micron filtration capability, it will be enough for me in terms of manageability.

While I may get away with not doing water changes as often and yet have much lower nitrate levels, I still plan on changing water more often, to the tune of 3% daily. That's only because I'm installing a pump to draw water from the sump to drip-irrigate my garden.

There's a lot of planning involved. I hope the doing part is much easier. Will give updates, but only when I have the wind behind my back. So wish me luck

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by yerrag View Post
    Will give updates, but only when I have the wind behind my back. So wish me luck
    Please take pictures and share with us.

Post Thanks / Like
    I included a 400 gallon anoxic filtration chamber in my pond expansion. My nitrates are very low. However, my overall pond isn’t a fair test for a variety of reasons (like a bead filter, 400 gallon settling chamber, skimmer pads). But I do think that it works in reducing the nitrate and to do so it must also do the ammonia –nitrite – nitrate part as well. And it looks really cool planted with cattails and elephant ears. Show it off and you are an instant filtration guru. But it is not without drawbacks. A big one is that you must have excellent mechanical filtration prior to the anoxic chamber since the slow water flow thru the anoxic chamber makes it a settling chamber as well. The debris that will make its way into the chamber will settle on and between the baskets. Stuff will fall in constantly (golden rain trees!). And some of the media (cat litter) will spill out of the baskets on to the chamber floor (and initially some of it will dissolve into a cloud in the water). You can cut down on this if at first you wet the filled baskets thoroughly, gently, then put them in the chamber and then fill the chamber slowly. Definitely put a bottom drain in the anoxic chamber so you can flush it.

Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    Please take pictures and share with us.
    Most certainly, and it would be my pleasure Ric!

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast