Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Shusui and Asagi

Post Thanks / Like
    The first "cull" or what I refer to as the japanese concept of sembetsu comes about 40 days after hatching.
    Asagi that are all red or red up to the lateral line already are subject. What is desired at this stage is white tipped noses, red in the pecs. as the fish go thru the next two sessions, red in the tail and a few red scales showing up from the belly along the sides. red on the gill plate is acceptable. What we are looking for is indication of red but not to the position of being over run or too strong in coverage.

During the second year the blue asagi han becomes more distinct showing the white spacing more clearly that we often refer to as the white net pattern. Again red is preferred not to be already up to the lateral line but can vary with different breeder/bloodlines at thi age.

As the tategoi reach into late second year, we expect to see red dots beginning to show on the dorsal. by the third year the red spreads along the base of the dorsal.

Third year we see red in the tail, red gill plates, red in dorsal and what the japanese call "ship's bottom" meaning the belly is now red up to the lateral line. Most critical is the bone white forehead.

As we search for the perfect subject, here's a tip. the red in the pec referred to as moto aka, should occupy about a third of the fin near the body. Often you see the pec as all red which is acceptable but not refined. If you notice the all red pec has a white leading edge bone, this is a good indication that by the time they mature (3-4 years) that the red will pull down into a more refined state. Interestingly enough
    this same pull back happens in showa, whose pec can be solid black with a white leading edge.

If your narumi isn't showing any red at all at their 3-4 years of age, chances are good even with color feed it will not develop. Does it meet show standard? No, BUT still worthy of appreciation in the pond
    to add interest color wise in a pond filled with gosanke.

The complaint I hear most about folks regarding shows and asagi is the best they can do is first place.
    While best in size commonly goes to gosanke, I feel "B" class honors are possible. It's been too many years now for me to recall but an asagi was named GC in an AKCA show. WoW! Did that raise a few eye brows.

Asagi was the first color variety to be established and deserves to be appreciated. It is my opinion that without the breeder Hosokai, this wonderful color variety would have slipped into neglect without his
    efforts. Today there are many breeders of asagi including hosokai. other breeders who I feel also do a wonderful job include otsuke. Pronounced as "Oat-ska".
    Dick Benbow

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow View Post
    It's been too many years now for me to recall but an asagi was named GC in an AKCA show. WoW! Did that raise a few eye brows.
    Haha I bet it did!
    Koi-Unit

ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Nisai
    Post Thanks / Like
    You may be referring to my asagi, which was chosen as the CG in the annual Jacksonville, Fl show in the late 90’s. The judging team was Joan and Bob Finnegan. I had just begun keeping koi in 1996 with 26 little fish (tosai) purchased from a local pet store. The following year, the tosai asagi was purchased by a fellow club member and brought back from the Atlanta show - I had asked for a "blue" fish. I believe I paid $25.00 for the little asagi. This was either my first or second koi show, so I had NO IDEA of what I was doing, nor any appreciation at all of just how unusual this fish was. That fish still lives in my pond, but, although she is maybe the largest fish in the pond, she is no longer anything special, with all her belly red (with sumi spots) having overtaken her entire dorsal area. But, with a history of having won a major award, she has a home for life!
    S. Stone

Post Thanks / Like
    I do remember the judges, so it had to be your fish! small world.....
    Dick Benbow

Post Thanks / Like
    I do remember the judges, so it had to be your fish! small world.....
    Big world, small Koi community. But neat none the less!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I could write a book LOL But I feel a lot of Kodama's books are helpful in understanding this education.

Without going into a lot of detail, the NAME of the type of color variety it is tells you alot about what to look for.
    yamabuki (yellow-gold) as Hikari need to have the body sheen
    easily identifyable in sunlight. Size of pecs is also a flagg for similar hikari color varieties. They tend to be proportionately undersized. Put a dozen subjects in a bowl and remove those that do not exibit the sheen. from those left look for the biggest pecs. go with the lightest yellow color.
    Benbow-san, Arigato for sharing this information. I am going to take a look at some tosai yamabuki ogon from Izumiya first thing tomorrow morning at Kodama fish farm open house in Hawaii. One of these days, I'll find one. I'm not planning on finding anything to take home (not tosai anyway) and I'm really glad I got to read your key points with Hikari Types. It will be interesting if Kodama will have them available for viewing in the sunlight. We'll see tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like
    good luck tomorrow. let us know how it went
    Dick Benbow

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Dick. I'll just have to be patient seeing how my asagi develops. When I got it a year ago it had a slight red belly which I don't see anymore. The visible red I see is in the bottom half of both its eyes. All the fins seem to have a slight red tint, but I couldn't be sure if it was my eyes playing tricks on me. But it's got a head that's larger than what I usually see, and clean and white. It's the most friendly of my kois, which accounts for its powerful look and size. If those benis should materialize, I think she'd be quite a looker, as they would be subtle and blend well with the light blue scales and white head.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey yerrag, wanted to mention that Asagi are known jumpers. Not much a pond owner can do, but if possible, cover when you're not around. I tend to hear of jumpers in the 8"-24" range. I guess they mellow out as they age, or get lazy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Not a moment too soon Appliance Guy. I just spent the day on pond work and removed the net after Rick convinced me about cats not bothering my koi and lost sight of the other reason I put a koi net. I think my asagi just tipped in at 24", so I'll put the net back in. Thanks!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast