Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Harvest Time at Quality Koi/Nisei Koi Farm: Oct. 2-7, 2014

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Mike!

Tomorrow looks to be a great day for a pond pull! We have club members representing Tri-State, Potomac, and MAKC from Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, and Connecticut joining in for some great koi fun! My sanke slot is being eye-balled by a few club members and none of them have pulled the triggered yet. If I pull the number 1 draft position, the price will surely go up! LOL.

If you send me a pick of your 555 koi, I'll make a video and post for you.

Look forward to next weekend as well as I have two koi being pulled then.

I love harvest season!

Duc

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    The weather for next weekend's 'main event' harvest looks great.... daily highs from 68F to 75F, with nighttime lows in the 50sF. It's still upper 80s and low 90sF here, except when rain lowers the high temp to the low 80s.

BTW, Duc has posted elsewhere that the TriState and Potomac ZNA clubs' grow-outs at Quality Koi are getting pulled tomorrow. So, if you can't make the 'main event', you can enjoy some mud tomorrow morning. Apparently Duc has a Sanke that will be available (if I understand correctly). And, this year's 555s are getting pulled.... I'll miss seeing my little Kohaku coming out of the mud. Perhaps somebody can report on 'her'???

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike, here is the video for your 555 Kohaku. I think she came out nicely, wouldn't you agree? :-)

Mike's 555 Kohaku from Quality Koi 2014 Ikeage. - YouTube

enjoy.

Duc

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Duc!! Yes, I am pleased with her... and hope your guess at the sex is correct! She may not become huge, but I do like the body form.

Who got your pick of the Sanke?

I'm told there are a bunch of photos of the pull on Quality Koi's Facebook page. I need to check it out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Mike

Kavent got my pick (from Potomac). He had the #5 pick which he turned back in for credit as there were only 4 females. All 4 of the female sankes were very good and it was a matter of preference on pattern. The #2 sanke did have a killer sumi spot on her shoulder and just about the right amount/placement of sumi coming up to make her a standout in the future.

check out the Tri-State ZNA facebook page for pics more pics as well.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3793075&type=1

make sure to "like" our page to get more updates!

will be there on Sunday to see my shiro come out.

see ya there!
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Thanks, Duc!! Yes, I am pleased with her... and hope your guess at the sex is correct! She may not become huge, but I do like the body form.

Who got your pick of the Sanke?

I'm told there are a bunch of photos of the pull on Quality Koi's Facebook page. I need to check it out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, bad luck for Kavent. But, I'm sure he will make up for it this weekend... probably at my expense. I have had a problem with Kavent getting koi that I want. I will ponder over a fish and then go see Mat about it, only to find that Kavent selected it minutes ahead of me. I'm too slow in my decision making! LOL

Meanwhile, for those interested in how tosai develop, my Kohaku in the video made by Duc is the last of the 6 in the following video:

555 Miwa top 6 22cm - YouTube

Post Thanks / Like
    Since Mat is harvesting the Nisei Koi Farm mud ponds, I figured it was time to bowl up the NKF Koi in my pond to get a status on how they are doing. These first 2 are a couple of Gin Rin Showa that I got from Mat as tosai at CFKS this last March. They were both 8" at that time (20cm). They have grown well over the summer and are both now 20" (50cm).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NKF_GinRin_Showa_04oct2014_50cm.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	40023   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NKF_GinRin_Showa_04oct2014_50cm2.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	40024  
    Henry

Orlando, FL

Post Thanks / Like
    Next is a Kohaku that I got from Mat as a nisai in October of 2012 when the AKJA had our annual judging seminar at the Nisei Koi Farm. At nisai, this Kohaku was 45cm. Now at yonsai she has grown to 68cm.

Name:	Manolo_04oct2014_68cm.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	40025  
    Henry

Orlando, FL

Post Thanks / Like
    This Sanke is well on her way to 1 meter. I got her from Mat as a tosai in October 2012 (again during the AKJA judging seminar). She was 10" (26cm) then. Just 2 years later as a sansai she is already 30" (76cm)!!!! First photo is when she was a tosai, second is from today.

Name:	NKF_Sanke_23dec2012_29cm.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	40026   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NKF_Sanke_04oct2014_76cm.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	40027  
    Henry

Orlando, FL

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice to see Henry who has purchased and shown some high quality japanese bred koi, investing in american bred stuff. They look good and hopefully will soon be of a size ro do some serious competeing
    Dick Benbow

Post Thanks / Like
    Back from New Jersey. It was a wonderful harvest, getting to meet Mat's parents and seeing all the hardcore regulars. The weather cooperated. There was drippy rain on Saturday morning, but it cleared out late morning. The pond pull was delayed an hour ...no big deal. The cold on Sunday morning quickly turned to warm sun and cool temperatures. Even with weather forecasts worse than the reality, there were still about 50 or so attendees each day. There weren't many frogs or tadpoles this year, but there were plenty of baby turtles with Ben McCann and his gang gathering them up. Having the boys added a lot of energy and made for plenty of smiles.

There were lots of nice koi, of course. For photos, check out the Quality Koi Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/USQualityKoi . I'm sure more will be posted as the crew recovers from all the work.

Just look at HenryC's Ginrin Showa posted above and you know Mat is doing something special. It is not easy to have excellent ginrin and intense sumi on Showa that are otherwise fully worthy of being shown. I have not purchased a ginrin in a dozen years, but on Saturday I gave in. There was a nisai Ginrin Hi Showa that looks more like a Hi Utsuri (until viewed from the side) come out of the mud on Saturday. The ginrin overlying the sumi was flecked with gold, giving the sumi the appearance of coal dusted with gold. I had to get her. I do not recall her length, but most of the nisai in that pull were in the 48-55cm range... Henry: You've done as well as the mudpond! Anyway, the Ginrin Hi Showa is not a standard show koi, but will be a special addition to my pond. I was so impressed, I also got a tosai Ginrin Showa (with more conventional patterning) in the tosai auction on Saturday. Another was auctioned on Sunday, but two ginrin was enough for me for one weekend. ...If anyone had said I would travel all the way to New Jersey to buy ginrin koi, I'd have told them they were being silly. It reminds me of Ray Jordan's advice to those going to Japan at harvest time.... Don't go with a fixed idea of getting a particular variety. You never know what will impress the most.

The two Ginrin Showa should have been all I got. But, it did not work out that way. Among the superb nisai Kohaku harvested on Saturday was one that just struck me as different. My eye kept going back to her. Her overly simple two-step pattern was not as bland as two-step patterns often are. The Beni was very pale, very soft; and the shiroji was very soft, not so pure white as some others. At a distance, there was a lustre around each scale that gave her a subtly pearlescent quality. Despite my history of disappointment with Kohaku getting shimmies, when those making purchases left her unsold as the afternoon was coming to an end, Mat bowled her up and I lost my will power. It will be best for her to stay in New Jersey and out of my shimmy-making pond.

The big news is that after many years of disasters befalling Kohaku spawns, Quality Koi has produced a bunch of wonderful nisai Kohaku and the tosai grow tanks are filled with thousands. We are going to be seeing nice Kohaku for quite a while. Folks have come to expect excellent Sanke, and there were some very nice sansai harvested on Sunday, a number of which were not already sold. And, some nice sansai Kohaku and Showa, too. I had to leave early for the airport, so I don't know how many got sold. There were certainly a lot of folks expressing interest.

Altogether, it was another fun harvest event with wonderful koi. And, rather than Sanke enticing me, I ended up with Ginrin and a Kohaku who will need some years of development.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast