Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Carp Pox

Sansai
    Post Thanks / Like

Carp Pox

Hi all,
    I wonder if anybody can help me on this subject. I know that carp-pox causes no harm to the fish but just makes the fish look ugly. Is carp-pox treatable? Does it make the fish disqualify?
    thx
    TK
    :roll:

Post Thanks / Like
    I have no personal experience with carp pox. I'm sure somebody else can be of greater assistance. Until they jump in, here's what I know/believe. (Subject to being corrected.) . Based on my reading, the preferred treatment is to raise water temperature to 85+F and keep it warm until the hard waxy areas subside. Some report complete eradication and no repeat infection when water cools if the heat is continued for 4-6 weeks.

A similar infection is lymphocystis, which apparently looks similar but the lesions are soft (?). It is supposed to be treated with heat as well, but there is a "neutral acriflavine" (whatever that is) that is supposed to help. Aquarium Pharmaceuticals had a product to treat lymphocystis. It might be available at aquarium mail order supply houses. ... maybe Dr. Smith & Foster or That Fish Place have it? ... they both have websites. Both of these are viruses, so I'm not so sure any medication will do any good.

But, are you sure it's carp pox? From what I've read, carp pox is mostly seen in cold climates. The whitish raised areas are in the fins? If on the head, then consider hikkui maybe? Also, if the whitish areas of infection in the fins is in streaks, then I'd be thinking more of a bacterial fin rot that is just getting started. First thing then is to clean out all debris in the pond & filters where bacteria can lurk and check all water parameters, do water changes.

During hot periods of the year I think bacterial infection is more likely than viral. ..... During hot periods, folks let their maintenance slip. There are low oxygen levels due to high temperatures, build-up of decaying vegetation robs more oxygen and adds lots of bad bacteria to the water. The fish weaken, and then flukes can have a field day, followed by bacterial infections, particularly fin rot. The whitish streaks of early stage fin rot can kind of look like the pictures of carp pox.

That's about everything I can think of.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have no personal experience with carp pox. I'm sure somebody else can be of greater assistance. Until they jump in, here's what I know/believe. (Subject to being corrected.) . Based on my reading, the preferred treatment is to raise water temperature to 85+F and keep it warm until the hard waxy areas subside. Some report complete eradication and no repeat infection when water cools if the heat is continued for 4-6 weeks.

A similar infection is lymphocystis, which apparently looks similar but the lesions are soft (?). It is supposed to be treated with heat as well, but there is a "neutral acriflavine" (whatever that is) that is supposed to help. Aquarium Pharmaceuticals had a product to treat lymphocystis. It might be available at aquarium mail order supply houses. ... maybe Dr. Smith & Foster or That Fish Place have it? ... they both have websites. Both of these are viruses, so I'm not so sure any medication will do any good.

But, are you sure it's carp pox? From what I've read, carp pox is mostly seen in cold climates. The whitish raised areas are in the fins? If on the head, then consider hikkui maybe? Also, if the whitish areas of infection in the fins is in streaks, then I'd be thinking more of a bacterial fin rot that is just getting started. First thing then is to clean out all debris in the pond & filters where bacteria can lurk and check all water parameters, do water changes.

During hot periods of the year I think bacterial infection is more likely than viral. ..... During hot periods, folks let their maintenance slip. There are low oxygen levels due to high temperatures, build-up of decaying vegetation robs more oxygen and adds lots of bad bacteria to the water. The fish weaken, and then flukes can have a field day, followed by bacterial infections, particularly fin rot. The whitish streaks of early stage fin rot can kind of look like the pictures of carp pox.

That's about everything I can think of.

Sansai
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mike,
    Thanks for your info. I experienced the whitish and waxy raised on the head of one of my kohakus during last winter. It still didn't go away until now. I bowled her and looked closely. I was able to peel some of the whitish areas off with my finger nail. I cleaned her up with Beta-dine. I think it is viral more likely than bacterial infection since the symptom occurred last winter and the fish is still heathy. Is it hikkui or lymphocystis as you mentioned??? So wat is hikkui??? How do u treat it???
    Thanks
    TK

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't know what I do that causes double posting, but I gotta stop it.

What you describe sounds like hikkui, particularly since you can scrape it off with your fingernail. Again, that's something I have no personal experience with. But, I have seen what is called hikui in both koi and discus (not so sure it is the same thing, but does have similar sort of appearance). I know no cure for it. A mutual acquaintance has put up with it for years now on a single fish. No transmission to other fish at all. Kodama's website sells stuff that is supposed to work, but I do not know anyone who has had success with it. Also, the areas where hikui appears tend to become faded, so there is a discoloration that could be disfiguring in some cases. So, I'm no help at all!

As for whether hikui will disqualify a fish from a show, I'll leave that to others more knowledgeable. I personally would want to disqualify any fish showing symptoms of illness, but I know that does not always occur.

Sansai
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Mike,
    Thanks for replying. I heard that Izeki paste food can prevent koi from hikkui, but i'm not sure it will help to cure it. Anyway, i just wait and see what develops on this koi.
    thx
    TK