Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: The beauty of nature

Somerset, England. (land of the country bumpkin)
    Post Thanks / Like

The beauty of nature

This plant may be a noxious weed to you guys over the pond, but to me these flowers are beautiful.
    Iím using them to try and keep the water sweet.
    Water hyacinth.

Three weeks ago I bought 5 plants for £10.00, now I have 22!!
    Maurice.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have an old Nichirin mag where there is a pic of a mud pond covered almost etirely with these water hyacinth . The pond belonged to Mr Maeda of Momotaro.
    When you say keep the water sweet, what do you mean?
    PS Most of my koi that had the broad bodies have leaned up nicely over winter here. I only catch glimpses of them when feeding the mud pond.Temp remained above 10c in the pond but I fed only three times a week.

Thanks
    Jaco.
    Jaco Vorster
    South Africa

Somerset, England. (land of the country bumpkin)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jaco, any plant will use up excess nutrients in the pond water. This type is a bonus as all the photosynthesis/respiration is above water level, so no oxygen depletion over-night or added PH swings. Also the plant and roots are floating so no soil medium needed. Only thing needed if your wise is to snap off any withering tubers/bulbs.

Gota stick a photo in, love um. Unculled hariwake.

Maurice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Maurice.
    I am also planning to spawn Yamabuki this year using a 87cm female.
    I am only going to use one male to limmit the number of the fry somewhat.The male and female will also stay in the mud pond after spawning to reduce the number because I suspect a female of 87cm can produce a lot of fry in one spawning.
    To see a pond with Yamabuki only is a sight to behold and I think no other variety can produce the image that thousands of yamabuki can.
    Thanks again and keep the updates comming.
    Very much appreciated. :wink:
    Jaco
    Jaco Vorster
    South Africa

Sansai
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maurice,
    I have a question for u. Does Water Hyacinth need soil to live???? I have my Water Hyacinth died in my pond. My pond doesn't have salt and I planted it in the bio-fall where it can get the most oxygen.
    thx
    TK
    :roll:

Post Thanks / Like
    Maurice: They are indeed beautiful, but far too rampant in a subtropical climate. As your fry grow, don't be surprised if the roots get eaten. My experience has been that when the koi reach about 15", it becomes a challenge to keep the hyacinth healthy. The roots should be 10-12" long when not being eaten faster than they can grow. A nice living food for your young ones. Note the veining in the hyacinth leaves? Should be solid deep green in shade, or solid bright medium green in sun. The veining indicates growth is outpacing nutrient levels ... just what you are seeking. When frost singes the leaves, it is time to pull them out & add to the compost pile. Otherwise, an awful rotting mess on the pond bottom. BTW, you can winter over a few easily indoors as long as they get some sun or a lot of artificial light. Also, can over winter out of water by laying on top of damp sand in a plastic container, cover with plastic and place where some sun will reach them . ... easier to spend a little each year to replace, but some enjoy the DIY experience.

My first experience in "business" was raising water hyacinth for an aquarium shop when I was about 13. The shop acquired several for me in April & I'd place them in ponds made from sunken kiddie pools. By late May I could deliver a dozen a week to the shop for the entire summer. I received a store credit of 10 cents per plant, which retailed for 49 cents. Bought a lot of 39 cent tropicals that way. ....At current exchange rates, you paid about $4 per plant. There are a few billion in the drainage ditches along the Florida Turnpike. They're free to all who dare take the risk of gators and snakes.

Khanh: No soil. Will do very well if roots touch muddy/mulm bottom, but roots rot if buried. Need to float freely in water column. Hyacinth can be sensitive to pond treatments/chemicals. Salt can be deadly.

Post Thanks / Like
    I tried setting up a hydroponic system shortly after going to trickle towers. the plants kept dying. turned out after intensive investigation.
    I didn't leave them anything to eat with TT water return. too efficient (lol)

One serious thing I need to mention. if I can save anyone some grief
    many times these plants harbor disease. i remember a koi club member stopping along the highway in california on his return to washington state
    and loading up on a few "free" dozen. Shortly after introduction his koi came down with quite an anchor worm infestation! A good Potasium permanganade bath is in order for safety sake! (FYI)

Sansai
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mike,
    thanks for your response. I did let it float freely but the root got rotten and the whole plant gradually died. I thought it's easy to plant though.
    tnx
    TK
    :roll: