Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Gill deformity in fry.

Tosai
    Post Thanks / Like

Gill deformity in fry.

Hi, gill plate deformities in fry, is this caused by water quality after hatching, or a deficiency in the parent fish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Given that you can't import koi there for years, good chance any significant level of deformities in a hatch likely is a result of the limited gene pool in country and too much close breeding.
    Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

Oyagoi
    Post Thanks / Like
    what percent are you seeing with gill deformities?
    I would not know what is good and bad % to compare to but thought maybe that would help get more answer if you are to high or OK.
    Paul Korf

member of:
    Midwest Pond and Koi Society
    Louisville Koi club
    IKONA

Post Thanks / Like
    Gosh this could be so many things.... genetics, nutrition, water quality and all in between.

What variety and what age fry? Big difference in seeing deformities in three day old Kohaku and a 45 day old Showa.

Is this isolated to any particular oyagoi?

Have you had just one instance of deformity or successive spawnings of deformities?
    Tim

Tosai
    Post Thanks / Like
    ok the Koi are Ochibas and the first time I have spawned these fish. The actual spawning was very successful, however I started to get a very high mortality rate after about 3 weeks, finding floating Koi every day. All parameters were were fine with the Ph at 8.2-8.4 constantly, as it is in my main pond. Feeding them on fresh Brine shrimp. from the 100 I had left 20% have gill plates that are either flared or not covering the gills completely. That's about all I can give you. I have heard that a vitamin or mineral deficiency can cause this, but then I expect so can many other things.

Post Thanks / Like
    An high mortality rate would suggest there was some sort of water quality issue. There are a number of papers published relating environment to deformities. For you, there is unfortunately not enough information to draw a specific conclusion. I'd like to know the history of ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, water temps and especially the use of any medications before attempting to explain what took place in your breeding.

On the genetics question, that's a possibility, but in the absence of the above data, a larger sample and other related breeding history it is not possible to be certain.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbradleybradley View Post
    An high mortality rate would suggest there was some sort of water quality issue. There are a number of papers published relating environment to deformities. For you, there is unfortunately not enough information to draw a specific conclusion. I'd like to know the history of ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, water temps and especially the use of any medications before attempting to explain what took place in your breeding.

On the genetics question, that's a possibility, but in the absence of the above data, a larger sample and other related breeding history it is not possible to be certain.
    I'm glad you spoke up Bradley. I was leaning in the same direction, but to me there is more value if it comes from someone with your background of experience. To my way of thinking, the mortality and deformity rates are more closely linked to water quality and nutrition most of the time, particularly in breeding pairs that aren't closely related.
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Tosai
    Post Thanks / Like
    MrB hey, as always great reply. Im sure that I did something wrong in the water department with not enough care, and daily testing and cleaning. You mentioned a couple of papers on water quality, would you have a link or heading I can search for. I have to learn from my mistakes.

P.S. My DS attempt was a failure the pair just wernt interested. Lets hope I can try again next season. Still on that bridge.

Post Thanks / Like
    Buddy, if you can use google scholar, there are some papers you can read the whole paper or with enough abstract to get an indication of things to look out for.

Here is one (not related to your gill issues) on the effect of temperature during incubation. http://www.ejpau.media.pl/articles/v...ies/art-01.pdf