Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Noob with a pump question?

Tosai
    Post Thanks / Like

Noob with a pump question?

Hello everyone as the subject says I'm a noob to raising nishikigoi. Let me tell you a little about my situation, I recently bought a home that already had a pond in the backyard with one (8"Utsuri mono) that survived the attack of a blue heron while my home was in escrow for 30 days, and I also have about a hundred small mosquito fish as well. The pond is roughly 650 Gallons (10'x6'x19"). The filtration system consist of a Pondlife External Biological Filter (2000 Gallon) with some large water lillies and some lemon grass. I've since bought two 8" Kohaku's for some company for my survivor (He is really happy now ). As you may of guessed my pond is experiencing the all too famous green water effect because I'm getting tired of doing the frequent water changes to maintain clear water,so I bought a Fishmate UV + Bio Pond Filters (2000 Gallon) and hope to get some more water plants soon. But I'm a little confused on which pump to buy due to the choices in flow rate. The pump I'm currently using is a fairly large Rio and the one I'm planning on getting is a EG Danner 950 that is rated at 950 gallons per hour. Is this the correct flow rate pump for my application because I've read time and time agin to always get more than you actually need? I really need advise from those that are more experineced than me. Also did I calculate the right amount of gallons in my pond 650?
    Thanks in advance

Sansai
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi patdow1,
    Your pond volume should be about 750gallons if you use the formula LengthxWidthxDepthX7.5 which your pond size 10'x6'x1.7'x7.5=750 gallons. If your filtration system can handle up to 2000gallons, I think you need a stronger pump (at least 2000gallon/hr). I don't think your EG Danner 950 can't provide enough flow rate for Pondlife External Biological Filter (2000 Gallon). It's just my personal opinion. Any other thoughts?
    Thanks
    TK
    :roll:

Post Thanks / Like

Pump

Get you a tiny might pump, I believe 1250 gph for only $150 at enkoi.com

Tosai
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replys But I'm still a little confused about the reccomended pump flow rate for my size pond. Correct me if I'm wrong but do I need to be able to move the total amount of gallons that are in my pond in a hour (750 gallons) or should I be trying to get a 2000 gallon per hour pump that can pump the amound capable by my filtration system which is the Fishmate UV + Bio Pond Filters (2000 Gallon) :smt017 I'm leaning towars the suggestion by TategoiKohaku, If anybody has a definate answere please chime in
    Thanks

Sansai
    Post Thanks / Like
    patdow1,
    Since your filtration system can handle up to 2000gal, u need to use a suitable pump that can utilize the system which I mean here is to provide enough flow rate thru the Bio Pond Filters. And how your water is totally circulated is to depend on how u setup your system. Mine is setup that it takes water from the other end of the pond from the botton drain and go thru the filtration system and flow back to the other end of the pond. Hope this helps.
    TK

Tosai
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK now I understand a little better, by the way my current set-up is just as you have described yours, so that's a good thing to know.
    Now I must find a a suitable pump that can move 2000 gph.
    I want to thank you for your feedback and If you have any suggestions on a energy efficient pump that is reasonably priced that can move 2000 gph that would be cool?

Tategoi
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, here is a link that has many of the Fish Mate filter setups: http://www.pond-people.com/pond_filt...fish_mate.html

From the looks of it these are made for small ponds with very few fish. Just a few koi will overwhelm one of these things, IMHO.

It also looks like the connections to the plumbing are pretty small pipes. And it looks like these are pressurized.

So a 2000gph pump might be too much pump depending on which one of these filters you have. To get 2000gph with small pipe you'll need to get a little more power than with large pipe.

So I'd recommend the W. Lim Wave or Performance Pro Cascade 1/8hp pumps. There are a number of options with those pumps and they push a bit more pressure than the Sequence 750 line.

For a submersible I'd recommend an Alita.

Sansai
    Post Thanks / Like
    patdow1
    You're very welcome. You can get a good deal from Aquatic Eco System http://www.aquaticeco.com/. I suggest you to have an external pump if u want high efficient pump (wave pump which I'm using right now). For your pump size, it might cost aroung $250.
    thanks
    TK

Tosai
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks once again guys for pointing me in the right direction :smt023 I definately can use all the advise I can get.
    Thanks
    Pat H.