Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Momotaro kohaku

Post Thanks / Like

Momotaro kohaku

Got my first momotaro kohaku today
    Its a momotaro kohaku 14months old
    Measuring at 14inch female

setled in at moment in quaranteene tank for a few weeks then will be added to pond with the others.

what i would like to know from the people is what they think and what are the good and bad of the kohaku and if it would be worth showing in time please.

Post Thanks / Like
    Really nice kohaku. The overall quality is good. The pattern isn't a show pattern, but if you can get the conformation up on the fish. I think it will do well. Remember judges can only judge the major things like skin quality and conformation. Pattern is pretty much the what the judge likes. So if the conformation came up on your Kohaku I thing it will do pretty good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi paul. Thanks for sharing your new acquisition. I'll jump in with comment, but take what I say as less worthy of weight than the more experienced koikeepers who visit this board. I put my thoughts down and then hope others will point out areas of disagreement. I learn better from my mistakes and oversights, and commenting on fish people post is sort of a test of myself, I'd guess you'd say.

First, seems from pics to have good color quality. The Hi seems deep and the shiro is very clean. Body proportions are good. The Hi at base of her left pectoral is not too much. Based on what folks with much more experience say, I'd expect it to tighten up as she grows. So, while Hi on pecs is not desired, this should not be of consequence. I'd like to see a thicker tail, but she is just 14 months old. It is said that it takes 2 full growing seasons for the true character of the tail tube to be obvious. I'm not sure how the Momotaro "brand" jumbos fit that. I expect that while she is as big as a 24 month Kohaku grown elsewhere, she should be viewed as what she is ... 14 months. So, not sure where that gets us.

Pattern: Not what I prefer in the best of all worlds, but hard part is how she will look when she gets big. For this size, the head marking seems a bit sloppy, going down too far past the nose and too much on the one eye. I'd prefer a cleaner maruten, or more Hi giving a more dramatic look. But, I'm having a hard time imagining her at 30" ... it may be that the first step takes on a more "jaunty" look, kind of like a hat worn at an angle?
    The second step is nice and goes down the flanks where it can handle growth in the shoulder area ... and she has nice big shoulders. The third step looks O.K. now, but as she grows I think it will sit on her back as a nice accent, but not much power to it. If the 4th step was larger and separated from the tail fin, I think the 3rd step would turn out fine. So, the real "problem" to my eye is the 4th step not being of sufficient size and placement to balance the weight of the pattern on the front half. Now, if her head was marked with a perfect maruten and the 4th step had greater weight with a balanced odome, would you venture to guess how much more expensive she would have been? It's more than I spend per fish, so I'll not even venture a guess!

Should you show her? Absolutely! But, not yet. The Hi needs to deepen. There is a lot of blurred sashi because she is so young and is from a line bred to be grown large. Show her now, and you will be disappointed with the results unless it is a show with little competition. I expect her true character will not be seen until she is 4 or 5 years old. In small sizes, pattern is heavily weighted. Her strength will be in her size and the quality of her colors. The "cute young things" will be past their prime when this one comes into her best form.

Will she win a major prize? (You did not ask, but most folks want to know the chances when they ask about showing.) Have no idea. One of the judges who visits here would be better to comment, but they'd likely say: "Depends on the competition on the day." ... But I do think she is one folks will enjoy seeing. And, if she has been grown to her potential, there is no embarassment in losing out to another. Shows would be pretty feeble if only the top prize winners entered ... in fact, they'd be the top winners only because nobody gave them a run for it. A Grand Champion in a one fish show is kind of a silly thought, no? So, grow her to her potential and enter her to keep the competition honest. Know what? You might take something home & a bunch of spectators will have had a much more enjoyable outing.

Congrats on your Kohaku. You're going to have fun watching her develop. Keep us posted as she grows. It would be neat to see if I guessed right at anything!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi mike.
    many thanks in replying to my questions which i think youve answered very well for me and give me something to ponder over.
    as you did mention she is rather young and was purchased as hopefully a local show koi if she makes the grades that far as we all know koi change that much through the years and even a expensive koi that would have alot of pertential can sometimes not meet up to the keepers potential.
    this koi will get better over time and as you mentioned its time just to sit back for a few years and watch her develop and see when the time would be right for her to show, if this doesnt come off then she will still grace the pond with her colours.
    other members will have different views but thats whats good about the hobby and this board there has to bee honesty when viewing someones koi so they know what to expect and can learn more from it in the future.

thank you
    paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Paul!
    First and foremost thanks for taking the time to post and share your koi with us!
    I want to take a different track than what you asked, but hopefully it will give you the opportunity to adjust your thinking about your koi.

Your job, now that you've aquired a koi with some bloodline and breeding behind it ; is to provide it with the very best conditions you can
    to allow it to become the best it can be. By focusing every day on improving water quality and serving the needs of your koi you will start the journey towards completion for the both of you. Your koi will improve and your ability as a koi keeper will also. When you both have done the very best you can, then you turn what's out of your control over to the team of judges and accept their decision knowing full well you could not have done anything more. Now that's a koi keeper!

In my 25 years of koi keeping, I have seen all kinds of winners at the shows. The kind that buys their winner and brings them in weeks before the show, takes the acolades and then procedes to ruin the koi so that it is unshowable in the future. I have also seen koi keepers who bring a koi in, win with it and then when the bans are lifted in a few years bring the GC back again, largely improved so that it wins again! Now that's a koi keeper! The same can be said for the keeper who doesn't win a place at the show but his koi are always competitive and at the top of their game.

While i'm rambling here are somethings for you to ponder. I have 4 koi in 4,000 gallons. 25 % of that water is state of the art filtration including bakki shower and J-mat upflow in settling vortexes that are so well aireated that it looks like a jacuzzi in there. Nothing settles anywhere because of air and current except in the vortexes that are drained a minimal of once a day. 10 % of the water is exchanged daily thru a trickle system of fresh water thru activated charcoal. I use various food manufacturers products so as not to bore the koi and their appetites. I never use a product with color enhancer! I like to provide other natural foods to peak the koi's interest. I check my water parmeters every few days. (yes it's boring it always tests out the same but on the few occassions when it tried to go sideways, I knew it well ahead of time to make the necessary adjustments. I have a heated pond and control the water temperature to allow the koi to experience four full seasons. The best I ever did show wise was reserve grand champion from a tosai i bought and nutured over the years.

I like your kohaku very much! believe in it and yourself! other's may not see past the red in the pec, but you will.( they will in a few years as well!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Paul,

Very nice koi and it comes from quality and thats what counts,as for showing and such i am afraid that that is a bit above my level of understanding at the moment.

I think the answer given by dick is basically spot on this is what we all want the best quality environment for our koi and also the way to look after them. This is something that comes with time and with a bit of luck it will all happen in the end.

Gazza.

Post Thanks / Like
    thank you all for your replys and some good info given that i can take onboard and only improve my learning.

paul