Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: flush in the situation:Bottom drain gravity feeding into a closure

Tosai
    Post Thanks / Like
    understand all that. my point be, the sieve usage requires a water level difference between the pond and the box. u cannot let the box water level approach the pond level for the sieve to work. This part is different from the vortex situation.
    Seems like the water difference would generate a big enough flow rate -bigger than what the pump can handle. Throttling the input to the box might be needed. I wonder if that is true in ur case. Btw, how deep is ur box?
    Don't be mad at me if we don't agree because I don't want to be mad at you.:-)

- sclaker

Post Thanks / Like
    For the two Cetus sieves I used to have and the two UltraSieves I have now....you install the sieves with the tops of the units around 1/2-1" above full pool level of the pond....so they do not overflow when the pump stops. All of that in the manuals for the sieves. When the pumps start up and draw down the water in the sumps, the floats drop accordingly and lower the weirs. That in turn creates a flow over parabolic screen. The water then falls into the sump where it is picked up by the connected pump.
    Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

Tosai
    Post Thanks / Like
    seems the float does the throttling automatically.
    thx.

- sclaker

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes that is why Cetus and USIII have floats that adjust the weir height. The weirs heights are not fixed.
    Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

Tosai
    Post Thanks / Like
    How much does the float move in routine use? It probably not noticeable in one day, but after weeks, u might see it has gone up inches.
    I am working on a DIY sieve, and will use a valve to throttle in incoming flow, and rely on the water level in the box to adjust the outgoing pump flow rate.

- sclaker

Post Thanks / Like
    How much does the float move in routine use? As much as the water depth changes during the week.

It probably not noticeable in one day, but after weeks, u might see it has gone up inches.
    The only way for the float to go up is your or nature added water. Usually the water level drop some from evaporation, especially in the summer.

I am working on a DIY sieve, and will use a valve to throttle in incoming flow, and rely on the water level in the box to adjust the outgoing pump flow rate.
    I suggest you might get a bigger bang for your buck by DIYing a good shower with ceramic media. Without a float to control the flow of the water from the pond in response to the pull of the pond, I would think sooner or later there will be a mismatch, especially when you are gone on vacation.

Tosai
    Post Thanks / Like
    I do have good filtering machinism, except, I don’t want to clean or flush as often as I do now. I keep water lily in pond and it generates debris and I will need to handle it.

I thought about what could go wrong when I am away. only two scenario causes the pump to stop. Which is the pump rate increases and dry the box, overheat and stop. the other is the gravity feeding flow rate to drop.
    Other scenarios would only cause the sieve not working properly. The thing is that the pump flow rate would only start to drop with time passing by, so I think that is an unlikely scenarios. The feeding flow drop might be an issue, but that in turn causes the pump flow rate drop too. Ur experience being the float doesn’t change if the pond level doesn’t, that gave some assurance on this issue.

When the pump rate reduces, the water level increases in the box and that itself cause the pump flow rate to increase because of the head value reduces. if that is not enough, the water level increase to where the sieve is and make it not work.
    If the prefilter works properly, the flow rate should remain stable for quite a while. I plan to leave at least 1 foot between the sieve and the pump intake, so that gives a couple of hundreds GPH for the pump to play with.

- sclaker

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sclaker View Post
    I do have good filtering machinism, except, I don’t want to clean or flush as often as I do now. I keep water lily in pond and it generates debris and I will need to handle it.

I thought about what could go wrong when I am away. only two scenario causes the pump to stop. Which is the pump rate increases and dry the box, overheat and stop. the other is the gravity feeding flow rate to drop.
    Other scenarios would only cause the sieve not working properly. The thing is that the pump flow rate would only start to drop with time passing by, so I think that is an unlikely scenarios. The feeding flow drop might be an issue, but that in turn causes the pump flow rate drop too. Ur experience being the float doesn’t change if the pond level doesn’t, that gave some assurance on this issue.

When the pump rate reduces, the water level increases in the box and that itself cause the pump flow rate to increase because of the head value reduces. if that is not enough, the water level increase to where the sieve is and make it not work.
    If the prefilter works properly, the flow rate should remain stable for quite a while. I plan to leave at least 1 foot between the sieve and the pump intake, so that gives a couple of hundreds GPH for the pump to play with.
    Why would the distance between the pump and sieve have anything to do with the GPH?
    Tim

Tosai
    Post Thanks / Like
    because the water level can only reach the sieve level to be the highest, if it is higher than that, the sieve is submerged and stop working.
    in turn, the water level before the pump is influencing pump’s GPH.

- sclaker

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12