Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: NNBC/Koi Delux findings

Post Thanks / Like

NNBC/Koi Delux findings

Hi guys, I have some stuff to share with you today. As you know I come from France, but more precisely I live near the frontiers of Germany, Belgium, and Luxembourg, so sometimes I go to these countries in order to visit other koi shops and meet new koi kichi. At a certain time, I eventually became friend with Enes Jashari of Koi Delux, which is now in Japan doing selections and visiting koi farms. During his trip (which began yesterday), I would like to show some of the koi that he encounters. However, I am not here to do marketing, just to share my passion, so I'll only put a few pictures of a few special koi (essentially breeders tategoi for the japanese shows).

The only thing I want to precise is that he works with the Japanese breeder Katsumi Fukushima, which is the leader of NNBC (Niigata Nishikigoi Breeders Corporation). He is very nice and moreover very respected among his breeder colleagues in Niigata (sometimes childhood friends!), but also in other places of Japan. Internationally, he is especially known for breeding high quality eccentric varieties such as : -Doitsu Ochiba -Doitsu Metallic Ochiba -Kumonryu -Beni Kumonryu (I have personally witnessed a 70cm+ jumbo) -Ginga -Beni Ginga -Gin Rin Goromo -Gin rin hariwake -Kikokuryu -Beni Kikokuryu -Ki utsuri (some are Kage) -Matsukawabake -Beni Matsukawabake - Kihakuryu (sometimes akame) -And many others…
    However, he is not only a breeder. He works also as a mediator between the other breeders (to facilitate the exchange of stocks, varieties, bloodlines), and as an agent/exporter for importers all around the globe (helping them personally when they come to japan, and of course sharing his knowledge).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	received_278642662791498.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	106.6 KB 
ID:	41393

So now that the introduction is done, let's get lost in koi ! :

Name:	GR showa 2020.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	134.8 KB 
ID:	41395https://www.facebook.com/koidelux/vi...9148034049128/

Here, there is a beautiful Gin Rin Showa (89cm gosai), very characteristic of the Shinoda bloodline. Everything is there: the color, the shine, the pattern, and especially the size. It is extremely rare to witness a Gin Rin koi as big and strong (Pr.Gomelsky noted that the genetic mutation responsible for shiny scales inevitably seems to have a negative pleiotropic effect). So, of course, it's really a challenge to produce a koi like this one. As you have probably guessed Shinoda-san keeps this beautiful baby in Azukari (one more year), hoping it will be ready to make a big prize at the 2020 All Japan Show (90BU category). He believes it's the best Gin Rin Showa he has produced so far.
    Now, a little bit of history that several of you may already know: It's interesting to note that the breeder Shinoda is a precursor who has recognized the value of hybrid vigor. Indeed at one time, the integration of, for example, Longfin (Hirenaga) lines into standard Nishikigoi lines, has resulted in healthier and faster growing koi, able to maintain their body conformation when they reach sizes bigger than 80cm. The success is evident, as can be seen in the spectacular Shinoda Kin Gin Rin Showa which won the Grand Champion title at the 1999 Niigata Nogyosai Koi Show, and served as a backbone for the breeding program of Shinoda. In fact, this koi and all Shinoda's big Hi Utsuri have roots in the Longfin Hi Utsuri created originally by Suda.

Name:	GR 1.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	41396https://www.facebook.com/koidelux/vi...9927428496275/

Name:	D1.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	41397https://www.facebook.com/koidelux/vi...2603186803320/

Here you can see another Gin Rin Showa (72cm) and a Doitsu Showa (68cm), from Shinoda too. They both have great quality and will be entered at the 2019 All Japan Show. You will also probably see them at european shows.

Feel free to comment and share, but I think we can agree that Shinoda's champion is really a sight to see.
    I may post other things later at koi bito if the breeders accept to show a bit more of their personal tategoi.

Cordially
    Alex

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for posting about these, Alex. Everybody likes to see photos of nice koi. Telling about their breeding and development of varieties, however, is what gets my attention. The big advances in koi have been made, especially among gosanke. Even superb GinRin gosanke are no longer super-rare, even if not plentiful. Breeders now focus on incremental improvements in the gosanke that are so slight that many hobbyists do not take note. To get a major development requires real experimentation, like Brian's crossing of Karashigoi with Kohaku and Goshiki. Not many breeders can justify the space and expense of a cross that likely will produce a lot of junk.... Very risky to the bottom line. The "eccentric" varieties as the ones where the most dramatic improvements can be found. Serious hobbyists have developed a justifiable bias against the metallic/ginrin/doitsu "pretty, sparkly, cute, little koi". For decades they have caught the eye of the novice and grown to be washed-out, dull, misshaped, not-very-pretty-at-all adult koi. But, that is changing with a few breeders working on creating lines of these eye-catching koi that can hold their beauty. Over the next decade, I expect some real progress will occur. ...I'd love to have doitsu metallics that kept strong pigment and shine at 80cm. A 90cm Lemon Hariwake that was as bright and shining as the 25cm tosai seen for sale would be phenomenal. Maybe in 20 years????

I am hoping you can report on what you learn about NNBC's breeding program.

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, I'll explain with pleasure. Also, I have already some knowledge on the great improvements that Katsumi did in the eccentric varieties but we will talk with him for more details (just allow me time) ; I'll update later.

Then for the karashi crossbreeding, I answered precisely in the other thread and explained the work of konishi around it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking forward to more.