Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Kigoi / Karashigoi in Oz

Post Thanks / Like

Kigoi / Karashigoi in Oz

As most will know, Australia is unable to import Koi. Therefore we have to focus on improving what we have and creating varieties from scratch. I have spent the last 35 years or so experimenting in order to understand how koi genes work. I have written a number of articles on the subject and have a much larger writing project in mind. Along the way a few gems were made. Just like the photo. These two are from the same spawn. They are non-metallic. The experimental spawn has in some part been an attempt to produce true Kigoi and Karashigoi. Now into the third generation on that journey, I recognise there many more years ahead.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0723-2.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	41413

Post Thanks / Like
    Definitely getting some yellow! A couple of years ago, a dealer based in Florida got in a shipment of 100 tosai labeled "Karashigoi". They were all a cream color, neither white nor yellow. None had as much yellow as the pale one in your photo. I do not doubt they came out of a Karashigoi spawn, but to me they were just "cream muji". I am not aware of anyone who acquired one who had it develop more color. I have the impression from that observation and looking at photos of tosai holding ponds in Japan that a lot of such non-colored koi that grow big get produced as a by-product, and get sold rather than culled because the label sells. You are doing better than those.

I do not mean that to be faint praise. I think it is a real accomplishment to be making progress on re-creating a variety from scratch. Need to get some that are in-between the two posted.

What did you start with? What have been the selection guidelines you've tried to follow? ...Three generations is not that many, even if it is a lot of years.

Post Thanks / Like
    There is no template other than knowing koi genes, dilute genes in this instance. The original parent was Doitsu Midorigoi x Kumonryu, with later sibling kumonryu crosses and the introduction of cha (another dilute gene).