Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Devastation...

Post Thanks / Like

Devastation...

More info is pouring in, and none of it good. Yamakoshi is in absolute disarray with roads, tunnels, homes, ponds etc. are indeed in extremely bad shape. People in many areas of the hills are stranded and are still waiting to be rescued by helicopter airlift.

My heart sank 10 minutes ago, after arriving home after being away since Saturday morning, and seeing the images of a totally devastated Shiodani. Some 60 residents were being assisted into a military helicopter, many familiar faces amongst them. The look of despair that they all shared as they huddled together to be taken away to safety spoke volumes about the breaking of the human spirit.

I can't describe the numb feelings that ran through my stomache when I saw the detroyed homes of people I know being broadcast out to the country. I've not been able to confirm anything yet, but a good friends' house and three children are gone. I hope that the house that I saw was not the right one, and the names of the three children that perished are not who I think they are.

This is a very sad day for all connected to the homeland of nishigoi.
    Last edited by Brian; 10-24-2004 at 10:25 AM.
    Brian Sousa
    Koi-Bito Forum

Somerset, England. (land of the country bumpkin)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Brian, I have that same name as you and the same 3 children conveyed to me from Japan.

Very sad.

Also it seems there may be bad news about the DAINICHI and TORAZO houses, but this as far as I am aware does not involve harm to people.
    Maurice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Maurice,

I hope that doesn't confirm my worst fears, and I hope that we're all wrong. I had dinner with them just last year. If anybody doubts how serious this series of quakes was, then please look here:

Picture album from the Yomiuri Shimbun

There should be enough English here in order to navigate through the photos.

Very sad and depressing indeed.
    Brian Sousa
    Koi-Bito Forum

Post Thanks / Like
    Also heard from my friend that Yagengi was ok, but no power. Apparently they indicated that they could lose all their tosai.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Brian for getting us an opportunity to see the pics.

I had been getting private reports by email but to see the pictures is really sobering.

Jumbo
    Post Thanks / Like

Worst fears

Brian

I spoke to Andrew this morning to keep him up to speed with what was happening as he's out of TV/Internet contact at the moment.

Having told him what I knew I continued driving feeling sure that the worst of the disaster (i don't think too strong a word) was yet to be heard, lives, homes, businesses etc, all devastated.

Coming in to read your post some 6 or 7 hours later realised my fears, as do other posts around the web.

The koi community embraces every corner of the world but really does focus on a very small part of Japan, the heart of it's community, a heart which has, according to reports, been entirely devasted in the last 48 hours. The significance of the impact this event will have is evidenced by the number of the 'community' either in the area personally or knowing others there at this very time.

I know that the koi community in Japan will rally in the face of adversity and I hope the western world will too rally to support them, without them none of us would be here talking koi!

Mark
    Mark Gardner

Post Thanks / Like
    This is truly a sad day. No words can bring back what mother nature has done. My blessings go out to all who are there, and condolences to all who have perished.

Post Thanks / Like
    Another chapter in Nishikigoi History. To think I was worried about the Typhoon hitting Momotaro and my fish getting washed away in the river. But, I pray that everyone is safe. Peace....

Post Thanks / Like
    After seeing the pics; I'm at a loss for words. My thoughts and prayers go out to these people and their families.

I'm sure there's light at the end of the tunnel.
    - erwin

Post Thanks / Like

hosokai's family survived

word from kevin at genki koi is that mr hosokai and his family are fine. he has lost most of his koi. ( that hurts as he's mr asagi!) A few were salvaged into a nearby mud pond.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast