Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: questions

Post Thanks / Like

Wink questions

Are Koi aggressive?

What are the most popular varieties of Koi?

Why has koi keeping become so popular?

Can Koi be trained?

Do koi get sick?

How long do koi live?

How big do koi get

Where does the name ?koi? come from?

i have to interview somebody that nows a lot about koi and i have to ask 8 question and these are them

Post Thanks / Like
    I am sure the 2 tategoi members of the forum can answer these questions...Dick and Mike would you take the honors...

Post Thanks / Like
    Is this a test? If so, here is my crib sheet....
    http://www.texaskoi.com/Articles/frequently_asked_questions_about.htm

steve hopkins

Post Thanks / Like
    thank u

Post Thanks / Like
    for fish keepers who have kept all kinds, the attractiveness of koi is not only their friendliness, size and beauty but the fact that they get along so well with each other. Not all fish accept others of their species so well.

probably the best known koi as far as age was Hanako, the koi reputed to be sevarl hundred years old. alledgedly the age was surmised from a telescope of a scale in which growth rings were interpreted into years. While this theory has been challenged koi is a long lived fish. especially when you think in terms of most dogs and cats that make it to the teen years ( 13-19 )

I'll comment more later!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow
    for fish keepers who have kept all kinds, the attractiveness of koi is not only their friendliness, size and beauty but the fact that they get along so well with each other. Not all fish accept others of their species so well.

probably the best known koi as far as age was Hanako, the koi reputed to be sevarl hundred years old. alledgedly the age was surmised from a telescope of a scale in which growth rings were interpreted into years. While this theory has been challenged koi is a long lived fish. especially when you think in terms of most dogs and cats that make it to the teen years ( 13-19 )

I'll comment more later!
    Lets try this !
    I have a koi I bought in 1986 (tiny) that is still kicking.
    I have another that was purchased in 1979, by a deceased fellow, whos collection I had bought 5-6-7 years ago.

Who's next ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Read the Blasiola book. I think most of the questions are answered there. (I know, I just won't make it easy. Always frustrated my daughter, too.)

As to which are the most popular? I don't believe there are any published figures. Still, I'd say more Ogons are sold in the U.S. than any other recognized variety, but probably more unidentifiable "pond mutts" are sold in pet shops for under $10 than all the identifiable varieties put together. Why? Because they are cheap and still give much of the pleasure of koikeeping to their owners ... but not all. That comes from appreciation of the varieties. (Now that could cause a debate on another board known for splitting hairs. Why? Because even "pond mutts" can forced into hikarimoyo or kawarimono or doitsugoi B. Read Blasiola to figure out how that can be.)

Post Thanks / Like
    hey mike i was thinking for my first paragraph would say:

Aquaculture and fish farming is a rapidly growing industry. first of all why is it growing, why is it needed , who is entering the industry, what problems are encountered, and what solutions have been found.

my teacher thinks i should add global aspects too it too.

(Does this sound good)

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm glad to see other have contributed and hopeful more will.....

reports are best when they have many imputs/sources

koi growth is regulated by two things. the facility (size of the pond) and the genetics ( God given ability to grow big) this along with metobolism ( water temp
    and digestion rate based on temp ) dictates the size. A big koi in american shows are into the lower 30's for inches and in japan closer to 40. Other areas like Taiwan and Thailand really can get large size quickly but then you run across the problem of pushing them out of their color. there needs to be a balance.

In Japan the kohaku is King for popularity and wins most shows hands down. That is because the judges select from that color variety class , showa and sanke. In America a few years back an Asagi was picked as Grand Champion in a regional show and created quite an uproar.The different color varieties and their popularity have a lot to do with individual tastes. A popular slogan in japan that you might want to quote is " Koi keeping begins and ends with Kohaku". The first color variety to be produced is my favorite-Asagi. New varieties are still being developed. many of them are named for the era of the emperior inwhich they were developed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Whoa, you are biting off a lot! Aquaculture is a broad subject covering food fish of many types, plus crustaceans ... shrimp etc., eels and "ornamental" fish ... tropicals, salt and koi among others. The global aspects entail supplying food in underdeveloped countries, competition with domestic seafood industries from the Far East, and much more. Your teacher is suggesting an approach that will open your eyes to what it means to have globalization of the world economy, limitations on environmental resources and mankind's innovation in supplying the needs of people around the world. And, the consequences. Carp are a good example. People have raised carp for food since ancient times because they were hardy enough to survive in primitive ponds and could be supplied relatively fresh. Carp were a good source of protein in lands where foodstuffs were not plentiful. Many centuries ago carp-raising was commenced in China, and from there went to Japan. And in the isolated mountains of Niigata carp became koi ... but that is getting into the history I'll not share with you yet. Today, food carp are raised around the world, and in the deserts of Israel carp and koi are raised, competing in the global marketplace with koi and food carp raised in many other countries. The ability of Israeli koi producers to supply inexpensive pet shop grade koi to Europe, and the ability of Chinese koi producers to do likewise worldwide, has limited the marketplace of koi producers in Japan. However, no one is able to produce fine quality nishikigoi in the quantity that the koi farmers of Niigata have done. Their talents have been shared with koi farmers elsewhere in Japan, but only a relative handful of koi farmers outside Japan are able to produce the magnificent specimens that are grown in Japan. And the food carp in Japan? It is still a major industry with modern techniques allowing for huge volumes of protein to be placed on tables throughout Japan and the Pacific region.

Have you gotten through the Blasiola book?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast