Home | About Us | Contact Us


Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 63

Thread: Why are we here?

  1. #1
    Daihonmei aquitori's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    NorCal Biotch!!!
    Posts
    9,135
    Post Thanks / Like

    Why are we here?

    This will be my 200th post . I just wanted to ask everyone, how and why they got into this hobby? Starting with me, I needed a break from going "Postal" from of course the Post Office. Who's next....?

  2. #2
    Tategoi erwinsan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    374
    Post Thanks / Like
    Aquitori told me I would meet a lot of "chicks" at the koi shows; liar... just kidding. Seriously, it's just a natural progression. I've kept fish tropical, salt, reef tanks, golfish, koi in aquariums, etc since I was a child. I just moved on to bigger better things .

  3. #3
    Sansai Vogata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Sarpsborg - Norway
    Posts
    154
    Post Thanks / Like

    Ned too wind down

    Just need to wind down after another long day. Can't really do anything outside at this time without alarming the neighbours and getting threats or cops. Itís calming to find that Iím not all out off my mind. Reading and trying to understand the rest of you out there Is help bigger than you can imagine.

    After staring up with ďBrassĒ in an aquarium for my kids, they didnít appreciate fishing when they where younger. Nishikigoi was the fist real fish with an edge and challenge we came across.

    Still also they are resting at this late Norwegian hour. Inside in our 12 ton it is dark, quiet and well. By for now a pillow is calling for me and to morrow I guess its just another Monday (seven days a week).
    Tone - Truls -Petter
    Vogata NI

  4. #4
    Daihonmei aquitori's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    NorCal Biotch!!!
    Posts
    9,135
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by erwinsan
    Aquitori told me I would meet a lot of "chicks" at the koi shows; liar... just kidding. Seriously, it's just a natural progression. I've kept fish tropical, salt, reef tanks, golfish, koi in aquariums, etc since I was a child. I just moved on to bigger better things .
    I said you'll get alot of knowledge, not chicks man.....This isn't a nightclub.

  5. #5
    Tategoi erwinsan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    374
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aquitori
    I said you'll get alot of knowledge, not chicks man.....This isn't a nightclub.
    so serious, like I said before "just kidding"

  6. #6
    Daihonmei MikeM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    11,260
    Post Thanks / Like
    How & why start? ...boring story. Why remain? ... No other captive fish hobby has the history, science, culture, community, aesthetics, standards, internationalism ... and a oneness between hobbyist, producer, dealer and supplier.

    Why spend time on this board, or any other? ... learning, yes; but more the sharing of knowledge, experiences, beliefs, dreams with a community.

    Quite bizarre that a trashy fish like a carp has accomplished this. As said another time and another thread, it had to be Niigata. The mourning for those tragic fish farmers in mountains far away arises from that sense of community among koikeepers. Even the engineers and science-minded among us are proved to be romantics at heart.

    Grown people reaching across the ether to contemplate the future of black pigment on a slimy fish, or eager to see a picture of the one thought best at some obscure locale by some guys never met ... such a strange magnet are koi.

  7. #7
    Daihonmei aquitori's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    NorCal Biotch!!!
    Posts
    9,135
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mike, very poetic and well put...I think we kind of lose hind sight in such a madness of big business. We all need to check ourselves from time to time.

  8. #8
    Tosai
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    East Tennessee USA
    Posts
    28
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM
    How & why start? ...boring story. Why remain? ... No other captive fish hobby has the history, science, culture, community, aesthetics, standards, internationalism ... and a oneness between hobbyist, producer, dealer and supplier.

    Why spend time on this board, or any other? ... learning, yes; but more the sharing of knowledge, experiences, beliefs, dreams with a community.

    Quite bizarre that a trashy fish like a carp has accomplished this. As said another time and another thread, it had to be Niigata. The mourning for those tragic fish farmers in mountains far away arises from that sense of community among koikeepers. Even the engineers and science-minded among us are proved to be romantics at heart.

    Grown people reaching across the ether to contemplate the future of black pigment on a slimy fish, or eager to see a picture of the one thought best at some obscure locale by some guys never met ... such a strange magnet are koi.
    That sums it up for me. Well said, Mike. I think I'll frame that and put it on my wall.
    Gene

  9. #9
    Tosai JasonPoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Kowloon, Hong Kong
    Posts
    10
    Post Thanks / Like

    Thumbs down

    I alway take pressure on my current profession of construction manager, and believe I have to locate a life-time career outside this current profession.

    Koi give me joyful and it was originally cultivated by Chinese when we think gold~red colors are symbols of joy, fortune and elegancy. However due to many many reasons Japanese lead the World currently, I hope the joyful from koi can become popular in China and the whole World.

  10. #10
    Daihonmei aquitori's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    NorCal Biotch!!!
    Posts
    9,135
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hopefully koi can spread throughout the world as a symbol peace. Part of the world has the dove with the olive branch and we have koi. If it we're up to me i would rather take the koi than the dove...too many pigeons in my area..

    Just note that we all have are reasons for doing this hobby...But, all in all we all need a retreat from the busy world. That neverland of retreat is the pond.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Articles - Sitemap - FAQs and Rules

KB Footer Graphic
Straight from Japan... For the serious hobbyist!
All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com