Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GE Silicone I

Post Thanks / Like

GE Silicone I

Hi,

I am in the process of improve the filtration system for my pond by adding an additional pre-filter chamber with brushes and blue-filter matting to remove free-flowing particles and a trickle tower for de-gassing and removing nitrate. I am just curious if GE silicone I(clear with 100% silicone) is save for fish. I am using it as a sealant to glue the splash guard in place for my trickle tower, which is sitting on top of my j-mat chamber. Even though the silicone is not submerged, but there will be some water splashing on it. I am concerned that GE silicone I may have other additives that can be toxic to koi. Does anyone have any experience with this product?

Thanks,
    Tosai-Sunny

P.S. As a suscriber of Koi Bito and a regular reader of this forum, I would like to thank Brian for making this possible. Although, I rarely post on this forum, I always enjoy and appreciate all those who's taken the time to post and share their knowledge and experience with us newbie here.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think you should have a problems with the glue just as long as you let it dry completely. before exposing it to water.

Tategoi
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used Silicone II with my Cloverleaf filter fittings (metric fittings don't work exactly right with US pipe). That was last year.

No problems yet. I think it is very safe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Color isn't that important. What you do need to watch out for is the proper type of silicone. There are two basic types. "Standard silicone is used in making aquariums and is safe for fish. The other type is used in bathroom caulking and contains an anti fungicide that will not do your fish any good.

Making sure you have the right one can be a bit of a pain. Manufacturers tend to claim their product is suitable for all kinds of things when it actually isn't. The best rule of thumb is to look and see if it is labeled safe for aquariums. In general the other stuff will not make this claim.

As an alternative to silicone, have you considered any of the new polymer based mastic now on the market? It tend to adhere to more type of plastic and rubber that silicone won't stay attached to in the long term.

B.Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    B. Scott:

Devilishly good advice!

Post Thanks / Like
    "any of the new polymer based mastic"

B. Scott-

Can you give us an example?

Mike Pfeffer
    Mike Pfeffer
    Northern Midwest ZNA show
    June 19 - 20, 2010
    Season's Garden Nursery
    Fishers, IN

Post Thanks / Like
    We may have a little translation trouble with this stuff. Living on mainland Europe makes it hard for me to know just what is and is not availible to the markets in other countries let alone know what the product is called there. I have done a little digging and found some info and managed to translate it.

What I like about it is the fact that it will also adhere to PVC where as silicone can be peeled off when dry. It won't stick to polyurethane.

The product I use is called MS Polymer from Zettex and is described in the Dutch literature as a silane-modified polymer.The rest is a bit cut and dried info but may interest a few of you.

Non toxic

Injectability
    5bar/3mm/23C 140g/min

Skin Forming
    23C 50% R.H.8 minutes

Non-Stick
    23C 50% R.H. 25 minutes

Interal hardening
    23C 50% R.H.
    24 hrs 3.9mm
    48 hrs 5.1mm
    72 hrs 5.9mm
    96 hrs 6.7mm

Shrinkage after hardening
    <3%

Hardness DIN 53505
    58 shore A

Tensile strength
    2.61 N/mm

Tear resistance
    73 N/cm DIN 53507

Thermal stability
    -30C to 95C

Peak
    155C max 30 minutes

Stretch to break
    >350%

Application range
    +5C to +40C

Salt water and chlorine proof
    Vibration resistant
    can be painted over directly using Acylic and High-Solid paints

(edited to make it a bit bit more legible)

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone for your input. B. Scott, I agree with you that silicone is not a good adhesive for PVC and plastic. After I silicone glued the splash guard to the bottom of my new trickle tower and let it set for 24 hours, the splash guard came loose as I was drilling holes on the barrel. :-( It's back to the drawing board! I do need stronger adhesive than silicone. Does anyone know where to get the products that B. Scott listed above or something similar here in the U.S.?

BTW, I did find a another silicone glue made by DAP which indicates in it's label "food contact safe". Am I correct to assume that this means fish safe? I may decide to use this temporarily until I find something stronger.

Regards,
    Tosai-Sunny

Post Thanks / Like
    TS, I did a little bit of looking on the net using the phrase "Silane-Modified Polymer" and came up with an alternitive name for these products "Elastomeric adhesive/sealant" These are also used in cars and glazing. Might be a good place to start looking.

Here is one US company I found... Dow chemicals makes something similar as well. Perhaps they can tell you about a retailer in you area.

Polymeric Systems Inc. (PSI) of Phoenixville, Pa., has introduced PSI 801 - SILI-THANE elastomeric adhesive/sealant. The company created the product using modified silane polymer-based technology in an effort to make the sealant flexible for a wide range of applications. According to PSI, the sealant withstands 500 percent ultimate elongation, is able to be painted and will not stain or corrode the substrate.
    SILI-THANE sealant adapts to cold temperatures, high humidity or moisture and won't foam or bubble as it cures, according to the company. The one-component sealant is available in white, gray, limestone and black.

Post Thanks / Like
    B. Scott,

Thanks for the follow up information! I will look into your suggestion.

Regards,
    Tosai-Sunny

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast