Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: looking to chat with an asagi crazed hobbiest

Post Thanks / Like

looking to chat with an asagi crazed hobbiest

Trying to find a counter part in this world that loves keeping asagi's as much as I do that I can compare notes with.Water chemistry, feeds that don't encourage reds etc

Like to take my craze up a notch but feel like a grass cricket that sings it's lonely song way into the winter,long after all of it's kind have been long gone.

If anyone knows someone or has an idea for me it would be appreciated

( I've got Jr about wore out!) ( it's been awahile since i've heard from Matt
    on one of the off shore islands in Japan )

Tategoi
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, while I like Asagi and I get compliments on the one I've got from judges I really can't say I've studied them.

I think I like Sankes more. And my wife really likes Budo Goromos.

But the soft water and Napa Cabbage along with a good pellet food seems to agree with the one I've got.

Post Thanks / Like
    I really enjoy looking at asagi but don't have one yet... we've been looking for one for a number of years here locally... not one has said "take me home" . Ian says a trip to Japan is in order, who am I to argue

I would think that asagi would do well in our water...? If/when we have one or two, we'll let you know

Kind Regards, Terri

Post Thanks / Like
    thank you both for your comments.

Terri-some day you need to share with us what it is like keeping koi in a very cold northern land. Do you heat your water? do you augment the light they receive? What other hurdles does one have to get over to keep koi in canada?

Might be an interesting new thread!

Tosai
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Asagi

I think you should try to strike up a relationship with a breeder in Japan if you really want to jump start your program

Otsuka or Konishi (Hiroshima) are two suggestions

You will need someone to translate with Otsuka

Mr Konishi's store manager, name is Matsuda speaks very good english and is well educated. I have seen some fantastic large Asagi there

One other option would be to talk to Jinbei ( Father)

A few years ago he had four 60cm Asagi's that were absoloutly flawless

I will look for pictures for you Dick.

Tony Prew

Post Thanks / Like
    Dick, I can certianly share what we've done over the past few years, photo's included. Last winter all our koi were indoors, this winter will be no different.

Question of picking a good asagi for you (and everyone) ... I prefer to choose young fish, I enjoy watching developmental changes. Most young asagi that I have seen here in dealer vats have very little red/orange (which I've read is a good thing?), some with none what-so-ever, most with way too much... and seem very dark or too pale along the dorsal areas.... should you see the beginings of reticulation at the 4 to 7" size? I've not seen many photo's of young asagi to compare what might be good or not so good... some wonderful pictures of adults, I know what I like - it's a curse as I seem to want koi that are not in my budget. Maybe I'm just to picky

Kind Regards, Terri

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow
    Trying to find a counter part in this world that loves keeping asagi's as much as I do that I can compare notes with.Water chemistry, feeds that don't encourage reds etc
    Dick,

I think that you'll find many more friends to chat with about asagi in very short course. The wait is over, as issue #8 goes to print tomorrow. For those of you that don't know, this upcoming issue is the "asagi special" which surely give the much needed exposure and appreciation that this variety has due it.

I hope that you all enjoy and learn from this newest issue, and that Dick and co. can lead some thought-provoking threads on asagi and the articles in issue #8.
    Brian Sousa
    Koi-Bito Forum

Post Thanks / Like
    Fantastic! Hope it's enough to keep Dick occupied for 24 hours.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Dick. You should know that your favorite 30" girl Minnow will be going on a long trip to the Orlando show next March. Savannah, Roark and I are hatching a plan to take the fish trailer. Most of my (two) gosanke show females are in gawky adolescence stage right now and I have some show males but the only big girls I have locked and loaded are KiKo and Minnow, so off they will go. Savannah has a 36" asagi in her pond that she raised herself that would make you faint and fall in, but Savannah refuses to take her her "pets" to a show. How are the blueberry farm pickings?

Post Thanks / Like
    It's really good to hear from all of you!

I am looking forward to #8 and you can bet I'll have a chat thread about it!

SMG I'll be real anxious to hear how minnow travels and how (she) you did!

I didn't know Savannah had an asagi, let alone that BIG! Any chance of getting a picture posted of it? I think it was about this time last year when she brought tears to my eyes with her generosity. Remember what she did? a very special person!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast