Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Koi-Food

Nisai
    Post Thanks / Like

Koi-Food

Hi,

I read in an other thread about 3 users feeding Hikari Koi Food.
    Is Hikari a very popular food in the US?

In Germany Hikari hasn't a good reputation.

An expectionally high nummer of koi keepers, which reportet about carp pox using Hikari Koi Food.

I'm neither a biologist nor a doctor, I don't know if there is any relation between carppox and Hikari.

I think it's a remarkable concodance, that the people which reporting about their problems with carppox usinf Hiakri for feeding, but since that, Hiakri isn't the top product.

There is a very often used koi food in Germany called "Koi-Power

Koi-Power is produced in partnership with DR. Bretzinger, one of the leading Koi-Doctors in Germany.

It has an optimal fat-/proteinrate from 1/2,5.
    The protein are easy to digest, because they are fish meal (28%) and prawns (8%).
    The fat are only from the oil of marine-animals.

compostion:
    fish meal, wheat, wheat meal, fish oil, soy bruised grain, spirulina alga 6%, prawns, shrimps, yeast, vitamins, trace elements, astaxanthin

ingredients:
    protein 36% Lysin 2,2%
    fat 14%
    ash 7,5%
    fiber 2,5%
    calcium 1,5%

What kind of koi-food are you using?

What do you thing about "Koi-Power"?

Post Thanks / Like
    Nico,

How much of the feed is wheat?

Nisai
    Post Thanks / Like
    I couldn't find any numbers about...

Post Thanks / Like
    Nico
    In my opinion it is usually too much. Wheat makes the pellets easy to manufacture. My opinion is it is there for the convenience of the manufacturer not the health of the fish. But do Koi need it? Is wheat even healthy for koi? I have my own opinions on this matter.
    I am looking forward to trying some of the new Momotaro food this spring when I go to the BKKS Koi show. Mike Snaden Has told me that it isn't bound with wheat but rather with seaweed. I prefer seaweed to wheat and use it in the paste food I make for my fish.

B.Scott

Nisai
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think, there isn't much in it, lets calculate

38,2 % protein
    14,0 % fat
    6,0 % spirulina

That are 58,2 % what we know exactly.

If try to contact somebody of Koi-Power, to get more information

Post Thanks / Like

hikari food

Hikari food is the biggest selling food brand in Japan and very popular here in England. The range of food is hugh and caters for all koi needs. The wheatgerm food is very popular in winter and through out the year as a base food to then mix with colour or growth pellets. The new Saki range of food with probiotics is very good, Its advertised as breeder prefered.I have seen breeders in Japan use this food. Momotaro Food again is excellent only sold in 2kilo bags, but this is good. The bags are vacumn packed, and the key to good food is the freshness.As once the bag is opened your against the clock, as to keeping the goodness in the food. He has dropped his colour and white ground food, for a new all season bag, its very very good. Again I go to momotaro koi farm ive seen the food, ive used the food and seen the results it can produce.
    But ignoring all that, there are loads of other foods that are good, dont buy bulk sacks to save money by the time you feed 15 kilo of food it wont hold much goodness. keep it fresh and buy regular small amounts in small or medium pellet but thats another topic.

Post Thanks / Like

hikari

Sorry didnt mention about Hikari Gold this maybe the food people have had problems with because of the carotene level in this food to colour enhance the beni. This can produce hikui and totaly ruins the fish. Hikari foods other products do not do this. Hikui and carp pox are different, food can not be related to carp pox in fish.

Nisai
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Simon for the overview of the British market.

I've heared about Phoenix 2000, to be a famous food brand in the UK.

food can not be related to carp pox in fish.
    Thats sound really strange, I allready said, that I don#t think there is any relation, but the reports from some koi-keepers I mentiones above can be a reason for chossing another brand.

Post Thanks / Like
    I Like the concept of the Hikari Saki all seasons (orange label) But I must say I do have my sceptisizim about the probiotic part of the spiel. I tend to think of bacteria starters and THOSE are all junk.
    I would take MUCH more convicing before I started using Hikari Saki on the basis of it's probiotic benifits.

B.Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    When I first got into the hobby I was first using Hikari....Got some good size out of my koi using Wheatgrem and Gri=owth as a mix...The reason why I stop using it was the cost. I started using Ogata Wheatgrem, because it is cheaper and the fish love it. I think the Ogata product is better allround than Hikari...I mean if you put the 2 products up against each other the results are way different being that they are both wheatgrem based. The problem with Ogata food is that it is be coming harder to get here in the US...So, I am back to Hikari for now until Ogata is more readly availible. Also, carp pox is carried by koi not food products..
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast