Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bacteria House and Biohome...

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Bacteria House and Biohome...

Hi,

Anyone know what is the difference between Bacteria House and Biohome?

Thanx~

Tategoi
    Post Thanks / Like
    Biohome are supposedly made out of glass and bacteria house is made out of ceramic.

I don't have any bacteria house, but I got my first bag of biohome (300g bag) last night. It works as advertised. Biohome would be great for small aquariums or anything that is very tight in space but would like to be overstock. Biohome can only be used as a biofilter and not a mechanical filter.

I tested the biohome by putting one end in the water, and in about 3-5 seconds later, the whole thing was wet. It is very porous and sucks water very well.

From my readings, bacteria house would be best used if one had a massive water flow shower type system. The biohome don't need to be in a trickle down type shower system. But, the biohome would work if one wanted to build a trickle down system. However, I notice that it also cost a lot more energy to run the shower/trickle system.

Thus, I want to design and plan (and build) the "Luke pump" using an ice eater. I believe that the biohome would work best with this type of setup because all the water needs to do is move through the biohome. But, I am planning on selling my house so I won't start anything until I move to a place where there is land and no HOA.[IMG]file:///C:/Users/chang/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.gif[/IMG]
    And, biohome are very small, but they are making the bigger ones now. And it would take a lot of biohome to make a good biofilter for a big pond. But it should be fine because it has lot’s of surface area.

Daihonmei
    Post Thanks / Like
    While Ice-eater/luke pumps do move tons of water I've really been more impressed with airlifts
    and biocubes and/or brushes would be preferable to biohome

Tategoi
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Luke,
    I'm still new at this, could you briftly explain to me what air lifts are and that other thing you are talking about. Or give me a good link so I can educate myself.
    And, could you give me a link to where I can get all the information about keeping water life. I know that "koi" are not the only pond fish, so feed me more information about keeping koi. As of right now, I want to know how to keep a koi fish at their best. This mean water quality and nothing else... besides food.

Daihonmei
    Post Thanks / Like
    Public service announcement;

Biofilm base material all works. Some designs have better characteristics than others in terms of start up time, population count potential and trapping/ non trapping properties.
    BUT do not be fooled into thinking that one media will allow you to stock more heavily than another. That one dimensional analysis is for marketing purposes only as it just addresses the effect of over stocking on ammonia levels. But over stocking also manifests itself in other ways ( other than just ammonia readings). High Bacteria count of the wrong kind, for instance, is a direct result of overstocking and a main cause of disease.
    Nitrate levels are always very high in over stocked pond, and this less deadly nitrogen waste byproduct is also damaging in the long run.
    pH stability is also threatened by overstocking and no ceramic, plastic or glass media will help you there.
    So buy a media that doesn't clog or pack and accept that bacteria will grow on any surface it is provided.. It you build it, they will come---

( as with all my posts, Waddington is free to adopt the contents as his own for commercial purposes, and Mike, you can point out that I agree with him after said publication . ) JR

Honmei
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JasPR View Post
    Public service announcement;

Biofilm base material all works. Some designs have better characteristics than others in terms of start up time, population count and trapping/ non trapping properties.
    BUT do not be fooled into thinking that one media will allow you to stock more heavily than another. That one dimensional analysis is for marketing purposes only as it just addresses the effect of over stocking on ammonia levels. But over stocking also manifests itself in other ways ( other than just ammonia readings). Bacteria count of the wrong kind, for instance, is a direct result of overstocking and a main cause of disease.
    Nitrate levels are always very high in over stocked pond, and this less deadly nitrogen waste byproduct is also damaging in the long run.
    pH stability is also threatened by overstocking and no ceramic, plastic or glass media will help you there.
    So buy a media that doesn't clog or pack and accept that bacteria will grow on any surface it is provided.. It you build it, they will come---

( as with all my posts, Waddington is free to adopt the contents as his own for commercial purposes, and Mike, you can point out that I agree with him after said publication . ) JR
    Tag teaming here with JR,

As JR states, a bio media and amount there of should process all of the ammonia/Nitrite delivered to it. In other words, a biofilter, to be effective will process 100% of the nutrients DELIVERED to it. Simply adding more or replacing to a "better" bio media really does not do anything if the original bio media is already processing all of the nutrients delivered.

The function is dependent on the rate at which the nutrients are DELIVERED to the biofilm. As JR points out, the efficiencies also are dependent on whether the biofilm remains unclogged or free from debris which may foul the media.

Now, all that said, a bio filter should never be running at or near 100% capacity (again, a function of both the surface area/biofilm and the rate at which the nutrients are delivered). Running at or near capacity leave little room for fluctuations such as weather changes feed rates, etc.
    The views presented are my personal views and not that of any organization that I may belong to unless otherwise specified. [email protected]
    CKHPA

Post Thanks / Like
    OK.

I've been waiting for comment on the idea that Biohome is superior to Bacteria House for certain applications. For nitrification purposes, I do not see any reason that one would be better than the other. One may physically fit some particular filter better than the other, but I think that is about it.

Jumbo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chang26k View Post
    but I got my first bag of biohome (300g bag) last night. It works as advertised.
    What do the adverts claim that it does?
    Mark Gardner

Daihonmei
    Post Thanks / Like
    chang
    this forum has a search function

Jumbo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by luke frisbee View Post
    chang
    this forum has a search function

Chang probably already knows that and uses that function since this thread was originally started in 2004.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast