Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tosai...What is your read...

Post Thanks / Like

Tosai...What is your read...

Ok gang, I was just surfing the sites and came across this tosai. I would like some honest feedback on this koi. Upon first glance, I just thought it was sexy...but it does look thin (but I like the strength in its shape) I'm guessing its a good swimmer (of course I don't know anything) just hypothesizing. Please like to know what others think. I have to be honest...the pattern got my attention first, but then I thought overall presentation (for tosai) "beautifully sexy". Hahaha. What the hell do I know......NOTHING!

Any thoughts...(see attachment)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	momokohaku.jpg 
Views:	321 
Size:	22.4 KB 
ID:	232  

Post Thanks / Like
    Carl, I don't usually comment on the "what do you think" threads. However, this fish really captured me too. For a tosai, the shape (confirmation) looks pretty darn good. The hi is a little over-powering, but I think that's what you want at this stage - she'll grow into it. The kiwa seems really sharp on all the trailing edges. That circle thing is amazing. I really love this fish - but hate to think what it costs.

steve

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

If you can find out who the breeder is, it'll give you a better understanding of its future. The only thing I can see that is a downfall at this point is what looks like a shimi toward the ozutsu.

Post Thanks / Like
    How long? Looks longer than typical tosai. Without knowing more, can really only consider pattern and color. The pattern wraps deeper on its left than on the right. Cannot tell how much deeper. Need to see side photos to decide whether it would have a lopsided appearance in the future. Color looks good, except for that black speck. Hopefully that's just debris in the water. If not, then start thinking Sanke. It would be nice to get close-up of Hi plate to see the Hi better. .... If not very expensive for your budget, get it and have fun growing it. If rather expensive for your budget, then get more info. Definitely a fun one to watch develop.

Post Thanks / Like

Should I???

OH NO! No fish yet. I'm still at least a year away before that becomes reality. Pond first, then fish. Unless anyone would like to vollunteer valueable pond space, hahaha... Difficult to swallow, but I have to be strong.

Its a Momotaro tosai and 29cm at 5 months. I did notice the black spec at tail base, it will be interesting to see the fish when it gets bigger. Pattern wise, I was just trying to visualize this fish with more white as it got bigger/wider...just dreaming a little. I just thought "uniquely striking".

There is no price listed, and no indication of it being sold, so I believe it will be very expensive. At least for a first fish .

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

I like the shape of the head. Pretty strong conformation. Pattern very powerful and interesting, kinda reminds me of my Kohaku "Vaio". Shimi on the tail joint kinda of a let down, but other than that it's a very nice Kohaku. I think you can scrape the shimi off since the Shimi seems to be on the top of the scale. But, for show proposes I think the Kohaku would do good if it had no Shimi. Probably couldn't do no worse than 1st place in size.
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Post Thanks / Like
    I love the looks of that koi. Like others said the shimi it a turn off to me. From what I have seen of shimi's If the koi has one, the koi will have more over time.

Here's a koi that makes my mouth water.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice Kohaku, Laguna was selling it right Tom C?
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the koi very much. I'd probably call it "target". It has that long lanky look like it could get some size in the right pond of bigger deeper water.

I have also seen shimmies go away depending on the water. That's a decision you make after keeping koi a few years and learning what works. I used to pick them up frequently with sakai of hiroshima's sensuke stuff, yet hasegawa's stuffturned out clean with no problem!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow
    I have also seen shimmies go away depending on the water. That's a decision you make after keeping koi a few years and learning what works. I used to pick them up frequently with sakai of hiroshima's sensuke stuff, yet hasegawa's stuffturned out clean with no problem!
    I recently spoke with a local breeder asking about the oyster shells in his filters. I asked if it was to soften the water, he said it was actually to harden the water. He mentioned that Sakai of Matsunosuke kept it in their filters to pump up the sumi. Could this be a factor in developing a koi such as this one. Softer water to POSSIBLY fade the sumi away...In any event, if water were to be stabilized again what would happen? Hey, this is getting fun just talking about it. And I'm not even a pond owner yet...boy am I sick or what? LOL.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast