Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: True Fish Story (With Pictures!!!)

Post Thanks / Like

True Fish Story (With Pictures!!!)

This was a pretty interesting story from The Sunday Wichita Eagle Newspaper a couple of weeks ago.

A resident in the area saw a ball bouncing around kind of strange in a nearby pond and went to investigate. It turned out to be a flathead catfish who had obviously tried to swallow a child's basketball which became stuck in its mouth!!

The fish was totally exhausted from trying to dive, but unable to because the ball would always bring him back up to the surface. The resident tried numerous times to get the ball out, but was unsuccessful. He finally had his wife cut the ball in order to deflate it and release the hungry catfish.

You wouldn't believe it if you didn't see the attached photos...

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    You're right; without the pics it would have been a tall tale. Lucky catfish, it have could ended up in a much worse predicament... fried !

Post Thanks / Like
    That's a big catfish. Wonder how big the fillets would be for Blacken Catfish? Well if all things matter we atleast this fish can eat baseball size pellets.
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice sized fish. For once I can say "Some things AREN'T bigger in the US.

Here is a Wells Catfish of 227 lbs caught in the Po river in Italy (not by me).

Semper in excreta, sumus solum profundum variat

Post Thanks / Like
    At our local koi club, they often will get a booth at a flower and garden show with koi on exhibit to seek new members. inevitabley, someone will ask "hey, can you eat them things?"

One time I had a koi keeper bring a sick fish in for a diagnostic, and was told bacically the fish was a goner. he preceded to tell us all the medicine treatments he had exposed it to without the hoped for results. When we suggested he put it in the freezer to kill it and then bury it in the rose garden
    he stated he would freeze it with the rest of em that got sick and have a fish fry soon for his friends. ( so help me true story) I then proceeded to show him disclaimers on a few of the medicines that said not for treatment on fish meant for human consumption!

yeah, I'm REALLY surprised that catfish didn't get blackened!

Daihonmei
    Post Thanks / Like
    WOW! this was in what newspaper two weeks ago.....that's why I am saying "WOW!" ...cuz the EXACT pics were all over the 'net about two three YEARS ago.
    And BS, IF that isn't some photoshop worked over pic then the guy in it is a bigger fool tham I'll ever be.....HONEST.
    A catfish that big...with its pectoral spines (the size of a large dagger) in a position where if the fish wiggled it could kill him...and we all know how strong the side wiglle is of a 5lb koi...imagine one lunge from this 'cat"
    I've been around noodlers only once, and then by accident, but I've seen them handle large cats on TV outdoorsman shows, and they don't get off to the side. They even advise you to NOT get to the sie when wrestlin' with one. The top spine isn't near as well-positioned to be used offensively.

Post Thanks / Like
    Pretty big catfish in this thread...Well anyways, let's get back to koi....
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not sure when it happened, it was in the email I got that it was two weeks ago.

Come on Luke you need to be a real man to Noodle. LOL Nooding for catfish has been going on for years. I once saw a catfish larger than the one with the ball in it's mouth caught noodling on TV. What is noodling? Here's something for you to read. http://www.cabelas.com/information/c...n-Fishing.html

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by B.Scott
    Nice sized fish. For once I can say "Some things AREN'T bigger in the US.

Here is a Wells Catfish of 227 lbs caught in the Po river in Italy (not by me).

GEEEZZ!!! Is that a catfish or a manitee??? Pretty big fish... who got who?

Post Thanks / Like
    Luke, Wells catfish don'd have the spines. They tend to be almost eel-like. This is a big one but far from exceptional. 400lbs or larger are the big ones. They use 2lb carp as bait and fish with big reels and a boat to chase em with.

OK back to Koi. Here is a link if you want to see more of them http://xvella.free.fr/photos/photo-e...&sub=21&id=334
    Semper in excreta, sumus solum profundum variat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast