Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Tosai Kohaku

Somerset, England. (land of the country bumpkin)
    Post Thanks / Like

Tosai Kohaku

A while ago I predicted here that this baby kohaku would loose its beni and turn muji. I was wrong. The beni has gone from strength to strength.

It was harvested from its mud pond a couple of weeks ago and has moved onto its summer quarters. The quality is good, I have decided to keep it for a few years, it's not a show koi, as it has a slight pattern inbalance and spoty nose, so perhaps I may use it as a parent latter.

My only reservation is its head/nose, a little pointed and narrow, I wonder if anyone has any comments?

Maurice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Pattern is to preference, not too bad...I like it...
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not bad Maurice. How big are your tosai averaging at harvest and what are the exremes of largest and smallest?

B.Scott
    Semper in excreta, sumus solum profundum variat

Post Thanks / Like
    Maurice,

What was it that made you think that the pattern would disapear? Looking at the original photo, the head appears a messy colour with some red, was it this head looking like the red was disapearing that led you to that conclusion?

Would you be keeping it to see if the red continues to stabalise, so you know what to 'keep' in future spawnings?

I know you mentioned it's not a show Koi, but many of us dont show our Koi and have no wish to do so. We just try to keep some good looking Koi in the best water conditions possible and I know many people who look for the quirky patterns.
    Regards, Bob
    ><{{{{> ><{{{{> ><{{{{>
    <}}}}>< <}}}}><

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking at the "before" I woulld saythe beni looks quite thin. I could understand his thinking it was on the way out.

B.Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    BTW Maurice, I took a look at the update to your site. If it was book I wouldn't have been able to put it down. I can't wait for the rest. Don't forget to finish the update and let us off the hook!

B.Scott

Somerset, England. (land of the country bumpkin)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bob, the beni looked really weak (shouldn't call poor red, beni, it should be plain old hi!) the pattern edges of the kiwa were really pale, so felt it would not make it. It was not a cull at the time, but I expected it to be on the failure list for next.

This is something I have to learn, the traits of babies produced from different parentage. But things don't always follow that pattern.

Scott, as last year was the first year spawning inside it is not possible to answer with total confidence, because my spawning at the farm started so late I was not able to realise the full growth possible. The largest harvested was a benigoi of 30cm from a tank spawning of kohaku, these were spawned early and raised for a few months at my industrial unit. When they went to the farm in the middle of June they were 5cm.

Many things can affect the final size at harvest, the biggest factor is the total number and how quick the numbers are reduced. Remember I am running the farm as a commercial venture, at the early stages bulk sales to garden centers will be my bread and butter, this means I have to push numbers as far as I can and still achieve reasonable growth. But in one pond where the numbers were around half of planned maximum saw much better growth, its a balancing act.

Id say if spawning goes ahead as planned April/May the average should be around 17cm and in excess of 30cm+ could be achieved with lower numbers. Remember I have gone out of my way to buy parents from large genetic parentage and this passes on.

Thanks for your encouragement re the web site, it makes it worth while when plus comments come back.

Maurice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sure thing M8. Just don't forget to tell us when you do the next update!