Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Tosai

Post Thanks / Like

Tosai

MikeM got me wondering about tosai. Over the years we have had many of them. I think we only had one that I would call OK. I was wondering if anyone had some pictures of tosia they got they turned out to be real nice looking koi. If you did, what kind of money did these tosai cost? I have seen tosia as much a $500. I just can't see spend that on a tosia that you have no idea what the sex will be, or how it will turn out.

Tom

Jumbo
    Post Thanks / Like

Raising tosai,...

Hi Tom,

Joel has some enjoyable reading on his site this week,... a story of the '05 All-Japan Grand Champion being sold as tosai to a hobbyist.

http://www.koi.com/news.php?view=1&id=16

Best Wishes,
    Brady

Post Thanks / Like
    Keep in mind that momotaro's "real" tosai are about 10 grand us dollars.

If i have a real good tosai that I can get a double, or triple in price for holding it another year I wouldn't be much of a busniessman to sell it early.

in the 10-15 years of growing tosai and learning I can honestly say two turned out.One was a gift from mr Sakai of hiroshima and the other was a selection of his son on a shiro that he picked out of a bag sent to a local distributor and
    said this was a good fish. I couldn't see it at the time but i bought the koi, $210.00
    at the time and as a two year old it took first in kind, best in size and a special PNKCA award. Was the only time I ever got three awards from one koi in one show. Yes it also turned out to be female. the last 10 years i have purchased 2 year olds, partially to insure the sex (altho momotaro can tell you at one year with his jumbos) and because I had a better idea as to what was going to happen pattern wise. I can honestly say now after 25 years of selecting koi, I can pick a few good tosai out from my own breeding.

So why tell you all this....cause i believe you pays your dues or you pays the price....

Tosai
    Post Thanks / Like
    I only purchase 1-2 yr tosai that can be sexed. All the tosai purchase exceeded $1000 in cost- even the males. You essentially get what you pay for, except in the world of koi. Prepare yourself for disappointment for within 12 months 70% of the tosai are going to be of less value.

Think of it as a learning curve... the tosai are fascinating to raise and test your koi husbandry skill at every turn. The month to month changes are worth the price of admission (if you can tolerate that kind of excitement).

I've had very good luck this year with the tosai. My advice is to establish a relationship with a seller/breeder and stick with them and donít feed more than 20% commercial dry foods to actively developing koi.

Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom: There are two koi in my pond that I intend to keep permanently that were not nisai or older when acquired. One is a female Yamabuki Ogon ... unless spending a fortune for a rare perfect one, might as well go for a tosai. The other is a poor Hariwake that hatched in my pond over 10 years ago. Sentimentality gets in the way of logic.

....here's one that that has been fun to watch.

Post Thanks / Like
    When I was at the Momotaro Auction I saw some crazy bidding on Tosai, shear amazement of the price. But then again these were Tosai that Mr. Maeda demmed "High Class". So the future for those Tosai must be very bright. The most I personnally spent on Tosai is $250. Will I still buy Tosai even thou my level of hobby has gone up...sure why not.

Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow
    Keep in mind that momotaro's "real" tosai are about 10 grand us dollars.

If i have a real good tosai that I can get a double, or triple in price for holding it another year I wouldn't be much of a busniessman to sell it early.

in the 10-15 years of growing tosai and learning I can honestly say two turned out.One was a gift from mr Sakai of hiroshima and the other was a selection of his son on a shiro that he picked out of a bag sent to a local distributor and
    said this was a good fish. I couldn't see it at the time but i bought the koi, $210.00
    at the time and as a two year old it took first in kind, best in size and a special PNKCA award. Was the only time I ever got three awards from one koi in one show. Yes it also turned out to be female. the last 10 years i have purchased 2 year olds, partially to insure the sex (altho momotaro can tell you at one year with his jumbos) and because I had a better idea as to what was going to happen pattern wise. I can honestly say now after 25 years of selecting koi, I can pick a few good tosai out from my own breeding.

So why tell you all this....cause i believe you pays your dues or you pays the price....
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.