Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Top Dog

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Top Dog

HI all, who is the top dog on this forum in terms of breeding and showing koi?

Post Thanks / Like
    Well this being Brian Sosa's house I would have to say he is Top Dog and we are just the pups who wanna play in his yard. But really we all have something to share. Some of us are into showing koi, Koi health, filtration, construction breeding and some of us don't even have koi ponds. We as a community help each other out. So its a number of things that a small community bring together at the table and share.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Koifishgirl,

How long have you been in the Koi hobby? There are many people in this forum who have 25+ years experience in keeping high quality water for growing, developing, and even breeding koi. I have learned a lot from this forum, more here than any book, magazine or periodical I have read; and I have read almost all of them.

A wiseman (Koibito Forum) once told me from the beginning, this hobby requires time to develop oneself. Time to experience, time to learn, time to listen, and time to experiment...it is a long, long, long journey to reach the promise land...and even if one finds it, he will come to understand that it is still just the beginning.

Hows that guyz? Am I in the ballpark this time?

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know if I would call anyone TOP DOG.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Hi I have been keeping koi for 3 years now and just getting ready to start breeding koi, I have purchased 2 acres of land and have a large pond under construction at this time. What I wanted to know is who is the best person on this forum in terms of breeding these koi and who has had the best luck with this and just needed some good advice on the spawning and cull and raiseing these beautiful fish.. I did not mean to offend anyone as I am sure their is people on this forum that can answer my question. I know their are people out their that are better in different areas and just want to talk with that person who has had very good experience in this area.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by koifishgirl
    Hi I have been keeping koi for 3 years now and just getting ready to start breeding koi, I have purchased 2 acres of land and have a large pond under construction at this time. What I wanted to know is who is the best person on this forum in terms of breeding these koi and who has had the best luck with this and just needed some good advice on the spawning and cull and raiseing these beautiful fish.. I did not mean to offend anyone as I am sure their is people on this forum that can answer my question. I know their are people out their that are better in different areas and just want to talk with that person who has had very good experience in this area.
    Maurice, Maurice come out come out wherever you are.

Post Thanks / Like
    As you may or may not know, Maurice is from the Uk, a bit out of the area for a georgia peach. he certainly has come a long way in a short time with his facility and breeding stock.

I'd be interested to have KFG ASK HER QUESTIONS AND THOSE WHO HAVE INPUT TO POST IT.

there was a time many moons ago when Mat Mc Cann had an ocassional post on the boards. He is so busy now, that if I want to talk to him, I pretty much have to call and catch him in.

I worked with kentaro sakai for 2 years, and have bred 3 years here in the northwest, so i have a little bit of knowledge to share....

Post Thanks / Like
    Koifishgirl: Do post your questions. There are several on this board with experience breeding koi, and DickB is on the board nearly every day. One word of advice about him ....Dick: Close your eyes .... he is so polite that even if you ask for criticism it is given with the subtlety of the Japanese. I could tell a story, but it would be too embarassing to me to show how dull-witted I can be. ..... O.K., Dick, you can open your eyes now.

BTW, Just finished a Rinko from 1993 where Masamoto Kataoka wrote a step-by-step article on breeding ... down to spreading 200 grams of slaked lime per square yard of pond bottom to rid it of parasites etc in preparation for filling with water for housing new fry. A ton of info in 6 pages. Wonder where I got that magazine ....ummmmmmm.

Daihonmei
    Post Thanks / Like
    KFG,
    There are koi clubs in GA, and local breeders/hobbyists will have insight specific to ga's climate and geology.
    But what is your goal?

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

Hi luke What I want to do is learn to do a artifical spawn to insure that I get some fry this spring form my Momotaro Kohuka this spring. As yet I have not been able to find any info on this and cant find anyone that has this experience and can help me. Also needing to know if I do this will this slow the growth rate of the female koi and cause her not to produce as many eggs the next year and what would be the best way to raise the fry, if I need to put them all in the mud pond after they start to free swim or do I need to wait and cull first. There is alot of questions that I need answered before I will know what I need to do and hopefully I have came to the right place. So if anyone has ever done this with success it would be nice if they could pass this infor on as I am sure their are other who would like to try this method.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast