Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TPR's placement question

Tosai
    Post Thanks / Like

TPR's placement question

I have 3 2” TPR’s I am going to install and my thinking is to:

1) Have one come off the trickle tower line to be able to bypass or pull some of the volume off the TT. (Dark Blue question mark)

2) Installing the other 2 on the Skimmer/Heater line someplace to help sweep the flow to help compensate for the only one bottom drain compromise I had to make. (Light Blue question marks)

Unable to place in the shaded area due to site constraints.

Ideas?
    Alternate placements?

Thanks,
    Lester
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TPR question.JPG 
Views:	612 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	444  

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you will see best results if TPRs are located to move water along straight walls. If the wall by the shaded area can be straightened, you will be happier. As is, current will conflict with wall shape. TPRs should not be used to reduce flow volumes to filters. Re-size pumps for that. TPRs are for creating desired current around pond sides.

Tosai
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mike thanks,

The pond is already under construction so I am unable to change the shape. but I guess I should of been more clear.

Let me rephrase

I bought 3 2" liner TPR's to use as OUTLET returns so I would not have fittings sticking out into the pond. Were would the best place to return the water from the skimmer circuit and the tickle tower bypass to the pond to get the best flow towards the bottom drain and skimmer inlet. I have no desire to be able to reverse or adjust the flow after they are installed so I am not using them as TPR's. I want to get the placement right the first time. I have to make the penetrations through the block wall as it scheduled to get filled soon. I need to install a bypass on the TT so if I do need to treat I will not crash it.

Lester

Post Thanks / Like
    Somebody with real pond building experience should jump in here. Meanwhile, my thoughts are: With pond shape fixed, I think counter-clockwise current will work better in relation to the bottom drain. I'd place first return near the skimmer against "East" pond wall, about 1.5 feet down, angled slightly downward to aim for the "Northeast" corner, and flowing along the east pond wall. Second return would be on the "North" wall near the Northeast corner, angled slightly downward etc.; and third return would be placed likewise at the "Northwest" end of the westerly wall. Idea being to create as much of a circular movement around the pond as possible. Good luck!

Somerset, England. (land of the country bumpkin)
    Post Thanks / Like
    I assume these are 45 degree TPR’s? If they are just straight bulk head returns it makes a big difference.

Tell us which and we can have a play at which placement may be best.

Maurice.

Tosai
    Post Thanks / Like
    They are the 45 deg liner variety. I can twist them and make the block penetration accordingly so they do not have to be a perfect 45 vertical or horizontal if need be.

Lester

Post Thanks / Like
    Maurice and others,
    as i recall from visiting the site last year, he's done a good job of sloping the
    pond to the single drain. The contaminants should travel down slope rather handily with any help at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think everyone would do it a little different then the next guy. Since it's only 3 TPR's, I would do it like this.

I would install them about 1 1/2' off of the bottom. This will help a lot to move any waste that will settle. I also think a must for your pond is a diffuser drain. A diffuser drain will also hope move the waste to the drain.

Another big thing will be slopping the pond right. The end without the drain will need to be slopped good to the drain.

What kind of flow rate are you talking about on the TPR's?

That's my 2 cents.

Tom

Tosai
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tom,

Unable to route any lines on the bottom side shaded area due to site constraints.

Standard 4" bottom drain, no diffuser, unfortunately I started buying components for the pond before the Diffuser Drains were readily available.

The picture below hopefully will give you an idea of the slope for the pond. I worked really hard to try and minimize the effects of the single bottom drain compromise.

Skimmer circuit pump is rated at 2700 GPH
    Savio Skimmer 2" gravity to pump
    head loss with piping as planned should put me in at 30-36 GPM.

Thinking of installing a 3" mid water drain into the the first settlement chamber above the 4" line and plumbing it so I can divert to skimmer line if I find I am over sucking the skimmer.

I will be pushing about 70 GPM on the BD circuit.

Total exchange should be about 5800-6200 GPH on a pond volume 6000 -6400 gallons. (with filters and associated plumbing I should be no more than 7000 total) I was going to use one of the 3 TPRs on the BD circuit to be able to divert from the TT if I need to change media, maintenance etc.

Picture:
    Orange lines show the grade
    Blue lines show height
    Red lines show width
    yellow line will be final fairing in after walls are insulated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bottom grade.JPG 
Views:	415 
Size:	117.8 KB 
ID:	450  

Post Thanks / Like
    Lester, your slope is such that a current at the opposite end will sweep it down

toward the drain. I cannot imagine you'd have any dead spots you'd have to be
    concerned with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast