Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bakki Noise?

Tategoi
    Post Thanks / Like

Bakki Noise?

For you Bakki users--how loud is it having four tiers of water cascading down like that? The ads say something about a "soft trickling sound" or words to that effect. Looks like too much volume for that, to me.

Also, does anyone have a sense of how much Bacteria House media one needs to fill each tray? Prices at Kerin go from 10 Kilos to a "bale" weighing 250 K. Does it take the whole bale?

Post Thanks / Like
    ChrisC,
    I brought to the top a thread I started"Whats your perfect filtration system".. On the first few pages, I asked the same question you did. Happy reading. Aloha.

Tategoi
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Akai!

Post Thanks / Like
    Chris, I think mine is pretty noisey but I don't mind. I like the sound of running water. I have it indoors so it doesn't bother anyone.

Tategoi
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chris:

If you use metal Stainless Steel Bins directly over the ponds you'll have the loudest installation...hard to hear others speaking...like being next to a mill spillway with torrents of water...

If you use plastic bins in a hollow tile enclosure faced with sound deading material, in my case, a sheet of Matala Mat...with the water falling onto a concrete tray or Aluminum Basin you won't hear much more than a trickle...

I beleive the recommended volume for Bac House Media is 2 Kilos/1000 gallons of water to be filtered...Ask vendor to ship via: US Postal Service Parcel Post or Priority Mail...Cost $30 from Naples Florida to Hawaii, which is about as far as you can go...

Hope this helps... Aloha! Mike

For my civil servant friend, was hoping to see you at today's meet so I could tell you in person, for about the 100th time, TT don't make noise...TT's aren't Bakki Showers...And koi aren't lathargic that's how they swim, If you want torrents of current and fish fighting the currents, you may want to raise salmon...

Tategoi
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dick, do you have the stainless trays, or did you build like Mike?

I generally like the sound of rushing water, but I am putting this pond in a greenhouse, and I am a bit concerned about being able to sit there and relax with friends if we will actually have to shout at each other!

I really want a Bakki, and am thinking that perhaps I could put it in the koi machinery addition I am building onto this greenhouse to hide all of the rest of the filtration gizmos. Does it defeat the oxygenation advantages if I don't drop it directly into the pond but rather into a tray/pipe to be delivered into the pond on the other side of the wall?

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the pleasure of seeing both of MikeT's bakki showers in real life today. Well, actually you can only see one or them. The other is so cleverly concealed that I wouldn't have known it was there if he had not pointed it out. Yes, they are VERY quiet. I could hear every word he said even when my head was only about 4 inches from the side of the bins. The only thing I don't understand is why he went to the trouble of building them to be so quiet when he already has water falls, tsukubai, and the sound of moving water everywhere outside AND inside the house.

Thanks Mike.

-steve hopkins

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T
    Chris:

If you use metal Stainless Steel Bins directly over the ponds you'll have the loudest installation...hard to hear others speaking...like being next to a mill spillway with torrents of water...

If you use plastic bins in a hollow tile enclosure faced with sound deading material, in my case, a sheet of Matala Mat...with the water falling onto a concrete tray or Aluminum Basin you won't hear much more than a trickle...

I beleive the recommended volume for Bac House Media is 2 Kilos/1000 gallons of water to be filtered...Ask vendor to ship via: US Postal Service Parcel Post or Priority Mail...Cost $30 from Naples Florida to Hawaii, which is about as far as you can go...

Hope this helps... Aloha! Mike

For my civil servant friend, was hoping to see you at today's meet so I could tell you in person, for about the 100th time, TT don't make noise...TT's aren't Bakki Showers...And koi aren't lathargic that's how they swim, If you want torrents of current and fish fighting the currents, you may want to raise salmon...
    I guess you were refering to me? I believe I did finally make the difference between the two several months ago, but I guess in my quest for perfection, I fall way way short. Hahaha. Sorry I missed todays meeting. I've been trying to get the home squared away for a Wednesday appraisal. More money, mo money...NO MO MONEY! Hahaha...I 'm actually just getting ready for the market to crash and burn. Then I can go in and scoop up the pieces.

Question: How many plastic bins do you have? At what height? For how many gallons? Just gauging my requirements with space allocated. Thanks. I'll get to your place one of these days...

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by bekko
    The only thing I don't understand is why he went to the trouble of building them to be so quiet when he already has water falls, tsukubai, and the sound of moving water everywhere outside AND inside the house.
    -steve hopkins
    It's the Mondo......

Tategoi
    Post Thanks / Like

Akai-San

Carl:

The Bakki on the 900 gal. pond has 4 bins w/2 kilos of Bac House Media... I only used 3 bins on the new pond because of a height restriction at the property line (wanted to keep Bakki chamber below fence line)...These are filled with 3 kilos of Bac House...

Notes:

Blue bins are shipped in units of 4 to a package... Only ordered 3 kilos of Bac House for new pond because I estimated pond volume to be 1200 gals...When I filled and metered it, it came to 1500 gals in pond and 200 gals. in plumbing and filter...

Aloha! Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast