Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Being in Japan...Helping Out?

Post Thanks / Like

Being in Japan...Helping Out?

Folks,

Does anybody know what kind of things a hobbiest can do for breeder(s) while I am stationed in Japan to work for 5 years. I will not be able to apprentice or emerse myself daily. At best, I will have weekends (possibly one day for koi and one day for family) to go see a breeder. Is there anything I can learn from frequenting breeders? Will they consider me a nuisance gaigin. Will they allow me to join in thier duties (cleaning ponds, filters, moving koi, etc.) Of course, I would have to brush up once again on my Japanese language. Just wondering what are the possibilities...IF ANY? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    There's plenty that you can do to maximize your exposure to breeders during you stint in Japan. The only limitation is how far you are willing to travel as there's not many small breeders around the greater Tokyo area that require help. I happen to be good friends with two or three around this area (within driving or reasonable train distance) that might appreciate some help and enthusiasm.

If you're really serious about getting around, and can get away for a day or two I can always use help while I'm visiting breeders to get material for the magazine. You're an architect by trade, right? Mr. Maeda might find you particularly interesting as he's also designing houses at the moment. I'm in the market for a house myself if we can locate some land around here which isn't worth more than the entire State of California.

Seriously though...do you know where you're going to be in Tokyo, and what date your 5-year stint will begin?

rgds,
    Brian Sousa
    Koi-Bito Forum

Post Thanks / Like
    this conversation is bringing back a flood of memories!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian
    If you're really serious about getting around, and can get away for a day or two I can always use help while I'm visiting breeders to get material for the magazine.

Now that sounds fun......

I'm packing my camera right now... Just kidding.. I wanted to do something like this as well last summer. But I was a little late in getting emails out to some breeders so it never materialized. Perhaps this year..

Let me Know Brian.. Joe holding cardboard sign. Have camera will travel..
    Last edited by Brian; 02-21-2005 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Fixed

Post Thanks / Like
    Akai-San: If you follow through with spending a day per week working for a breeder, you gotta share the experience in a running commentary right here. No matter how repetitive things mght seem, a day per week for 5 years, even with "snow days" off would give all insights nobody else could share .... just a paragraph per day! Getting jealous of your opportunity.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Akai-San
    Folks,

Does anybody know what kind of things a hobbiest can do for breeder(s) while I am stationed in Japan to work for 5 years. I will not be able to apprentice or emerse myself daily. At best, I will have weekends (possibly one day for koi and one day for family) to go see a breeder. Is there anything I can learn from frequenting breeders? Will they consider me a nuisance gaigin. Will they allow me to join in thier duties (cleaning ponds, filters, moving koi, etc.) Of course, I would have to brush up once again on my Japanese language. Just wondering what are the possibilities...IF ANY? Thanks.
    You want to trade jobs? That is hella cool...Shot I should transfer to support Cisco System AsiaPac...
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Yes If you get to do this just bag up a few parent koi for me. Just make sure you help out at momotaro koi farm cause they have what I want. And please learn all you can as I need to know so much and with you helping out you will learn a great deal. You can just share with us you experience and we will be happy. Some people have all the luck. Wish it was me that could help out on a farm in Japan. Best of luck to you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Akai-san, dont mean to be nosey but what are you goin to be doin there? Are you in the service?
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian
    There's plenty that you can do to maximize your exposure to breeders during you stint in Japan. The only limitation is how far you are willing to travel as there's not many small breeders around the greater Tokyo area that require help. I happen to be good friends with two or three around this area (within driving or reasonable train distance) that might appreciate some help and enthusiasm.

If you're really serious about getting around, and can get away for a day or two I can always use help while I'm visiting breeders to get material for the magazine. You're an architect by trade, right? Mr. Maeda might find you particularly interesting as he's also designing houses at the moment. I'm in the market for a house myself if we can locate some land around here which isn't worth more than the entire State of California.

Seriously though...do you know where you're going to be in Tokyo, and what date your 5-year stint will begin?

rgds,
    Yes, an Architect I am. There are actually three positions at Camp Zama I could apply for. Is that far away? Hopefully, I can get offerred one of them. If I get offerred a job, I will have only 45 days to report to duty. That would mean May-June 2005. If I'm planning to apply for one of those jobs, I need to start planning the escape NOW! I actually have good friends/co-workers that have already PCS to Zama over the past three years. Nice to know that I won't be totally alone. I still have mixed feelings about leaving the comforts of my Hawaii home, but the opportunity to experience Japan is chipping away at my Hawaiian roots.

Brian-San,
    I would love to finally get a chance to meet the mastermind behind Koi-Bito. And better yet, helping you and make friends with breeders. And also help out with planning/designing Japanese homes, WOW! I will have lots to learn about the Japanese culture and thier views and concepts of architectural design, oh yeah and koi too. As Mies Van Dohr Roh put so simply..."Less is More". Hey maybe I can help you with that online Koi-Bito...anyway food for thought...gotta go work on my resume.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM
    Akai-San: If you follow through with spending a day per week working for a breeder, you gotta share the experience in a running commentary right here. No matter how repetitive things mght seem, a day per week for 5 years, even with "snow days" off would give all insights nobody else could share .... just a paragraph per day! Getting jealous of your opportunity.
    Thats a great idea! A personal koi journal. What better way to document my insights to great learning experiences. But before I jump the gun, I'll have to find out the accessibility from where I'll be. Too much hype right now, I might get slammed against the wall...Ouch! I better go look for an online map...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast