Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: KoiKichi Feeding Dispenser and Chagoi

Tosai
    Post Thanks / Like

KoiKichi Feeding Dispenser and Chagoi

The KoiKichi food dispenser is an on-demand type and is so so interesting. I am seriously consider one .... but just wonder if this dispenser survive an ever-hungry big chagoi? Could any end users provide some thought? Thank you. Donald

Tategoi
    Post Thanks / Like
    Donald:

Have had one installed since December, works well...found that installing it as it comes with the nylon pull string is all you need...took 3 days before koi figured it out...Very sturdy construction, so you shouldn't have a problem...

Because our's is installed outside in the elements, I did sand and apply a 2 coats of fiberglass resin, without cloth, to the roof...not sure if it was needed but now I don't have to worry about it...

The Chagoi may surprise you, he may not be the one to pull the string...In our pond only one koi pulls the string while the others crowd around to reap the spoils...It's really funny to watch the koi jockey for postion under the feeder... The puller knows that if he just pulls the string, he'll be out of position to get any pellets, so he usually moves away from string, darts back, pulls string and grabs a couple of pellets before the other koi realize what he's done...

Hope this helps, Aloha! Mike

Somerset, England. (land of the country bumpkin)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mike, you make these feeders sound such fun.
    I'd love to build one, if only I had time!!

Maurice.

Tategoi
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Maurice

The demand feeders add a whole new dimension to koi keeping and watching...

Good luck with your new endeavors and ponds...Ahhhhhhhhh to be young or somewhat so....

Aloha! Mike

Somerset, England. (land of the country bumpkin)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ah Mike, I wish I was twenty years younger, I've got so much to do with this koi breeding.
    I'll never get as far as I wish!!

But I shall keep going till they dig a hole!
    49 and enjoying going to work, feeling VERY poor, but what the heck, so many have said it can't be done.
    But I've got respect from 'Grumpy' already, that's good enough for me.
    Watch this space!! I'm only beginning!

Maurice.

Post Thanks / Like
    I second Mike's endorsment of the demand feeder. I am not sure if the smart koi are the ones that pull the string or the others that hang out down current and gulp down the pellets. As soon as they see me putting food in the feeder they line up and once I swing it out over the pond they are pulling the string before I can sit down and start enjoying my adult beverage and the koi parade that follows.

Tategoi
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mine is "in the mail" so I am happy to hear that you all like yours.

Hope my fish can figure it out!
    ChrisC

Post Thanks / Like
    ChrisC: Let us know how long it takes for them to figure it out. I never thought I'd care for one, but it does sound like fun. ..... Squirrels seem to get in our birdfeeders no matter what we do. Any experiences with squirrels going after the koi food?

Tategoi
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation 49!!! Jeeeeze Louise Maurice, You're a young'un

If I was 49, I'd start all over again, am thinking about it at 62....

If you got the genes you can go to 95-100... My cousin told me that he visited Grampa Johnson in Wisconsin one summer and was told that he was out helping a friend dig a basement...Cousin went to location expecting to find a bunch of old codgers sitting down watching heavy equipment doing the digging...Instead what he saw was 5 old guys in their 90's digging the basement with pick, shovels and wheel barrows...Not one Electric buster on the job site...Grampa J. was 95 at the time...

You'll do alright if you just remember one thing...you're not in a business to make money, you're doing what you want to do and find pleasure in doing...so you're not working, you're playing everyday you wake up and do your thing... My dad was a woodworker (shipbuilder/cabinet maker) from the age of 12, did it as a hobby, built a marginal business but enjoyed everyday of his life and never retired, just up and died one day, still expecting to go into the shop that day...

Aloha! Mike

Tategoi
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM
    ChrisC: Let us know how long it takes for them to figure it out. I never thought I'd care for one, but it does sound like fun. ..... Squirrels seem to get in our birdfeeders no matter what we do. Any experiences with squirrels going after the koi food?
    Squirrels have eaten spilled koi food on the ground, as have my chipmunks. So far they have left my Koi Cafe alone--possibly because it is entirely metal and hanging over the water. Or maybe they just lack motivation since they are busy hanging out around my bird feeders!
    ChrisC

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast